Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Revised" NASA ST rules are out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Default "Revised" NASA ST rules are out!

NASA has come out with the newest version of it's ST rules today.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55321

1) ST1 and ST2 only (not applicable for STR1 and STR2): Every vehicle must retain its
unmodified: OEM frame rails and/or unibody, strut towers, floor pan, inner fender
wells, transmission tunnel, rocker panels, windshield frame location, and subframes,
with the following exceptions: a) Frame rails and unibodies may have maximum
diameter 0.75 (3/4) inch holes drilled into them for purposes other than lightening,
such as for the attachment of ancillary parts. Cutting and channeling is not permitted.
b) Frame rails may have maximum diameter 1.25 (1-1/4) inch holes drilled solely for
the purpose of the placement of jacking lugs/plates. c) Modification of the OEM roof
line is permitted, but will be assessed via a Modification Factor in the “Adjusted”
Weight/Power Ratio. d) Modification of the floor pan for purposes of exhaust
clearance only is permitted and will be assessed via a Modification Factor in the
“Adjusted” Weight/Power Ratio. e) Additional permitted floor pan modifications are
listed in Appendix A. Floorpan modifications to include items such as subframe
connectors, roll cage bracing, and fuel cell placement may be approved on a case-bycase
basis by the National ST Director. Such modifications will be subject to approval
and possible Modification Factor assessments.
Tube-frame chassis conversion (partial or complete) is not permitted without a waiver
from the National ST Director. If a vehicle cannot be driven with any of the added
tubes removed, it is considered a tube-frame chassis convertion. Relocation of
suspension mounting points, and modified crossmembers are permitted. Modification
and/or relocation of components of the firewall with engine relocation ten (10) inches
or less is permitted, but is limited by the requirement to retain the unmodified
transmission tunnel and floor pan.
Body Type: 4-door Sedan or 5-door Wagon = +0.4
Modification of the OEM roof line/shape = -0.4
Modification of the floor pan for exhaust clearance only = -0.4
So nothing about using the frame rails as brake ducts - obviously not legal in ST but no mention of a modification factor for them.
Jacking posts are legal - kinda a no brainer, and side exhaust gets you with a .4 modifier.

I guess we will have to wait and see about the brake duct frame rails.
Mod factor or STR only?

And a special note for you "wooden floor" types-
3) Vehicles with OEM wood floors may have the wood removed and substitute metal flooring in
the same location as the OEM wood floors with an additional Modification Factor of -0.2. It is
not permitted to raise or lower the floor from the OEM height compared to the rest of the
body/chassis. If the wood flooring is left intact, metal plating may be placed over the wood,
inside the cockpit, without an additional Modification Factor.
Discuss
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious - how do you relocate your engine 10 inches without modifying floor pan or transmission tunnel? Maybe Greg knows something about engineering that rest of us don't?

Looks like STR will get more entries and instead of having 6 cars running in ST2 we will have 3 in ST2 and 3 in STR2. Great call....
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Instead of 3 in ST1 racing for a $350 tire. It would be 1 in STR1 & 2 in ST1. Glad I just built an engine for a class with no one in it. Next sandbox.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
and side exhaust gets you with a .4 modifier.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm wondering about the OEM Roofline issue. Does this make my El-Corvette-Amino Convertible take a points hit, or do I just call it a corvette convertible?

I also wonder about the floor issue. Does modifying the top layer alone, for seat/headroom issues count, or only if you cut completely through it??

None of these issues really makes sense, they aren't performance enhancers and don't help anything in classes where power is restricted, and aero is open.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Kind of stupid... what happened to KISS? People what competition and STR just dilutes it. The classes aren't advanced enough to need to be split. Once we have 10+ regularly in ST and someone brings out a tube chassis car on the regular and wipes the floor with everyone then we can worry about a separate STR class. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm wondering about the OEM Roofline issue. Does this make my El-Corvette-Amino Convertible take a points hit, or do I just call it a corvette convertible?

I also wonder about the floor issue. Does modifying the top layer alone, for seat/headroom issues count, or only if you cut completely through it??

None of these issues really makes sense, they aren't performance enhancers and don't help anything in classes where power is restricted, and aero is open.
David,

I emailed Greg and got a waiver to cut the top layer of my floor out to lower the seat. I have to keep a copy of his email approval with my log book and hand one in with any classification form.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Kind of stupid... what happened to KISS? People what competition and STR just dilutes it. The classes aren't advanced enough to need to be split. Once we have 10+ regularly in ST and someone brings out a tube chassis car on the regular and wipes the floor with everyone then we can worry about a separate STR class. Just my $0.02.
All most of us want are big fields to play in without knocking perfectly good cars out of the class for small things. Not good for ST2
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Unlimited aero. Stock unmodified rocker. huh? How many have the original rear unmodified rear inner fender liner?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by John B
How many have the original rear unmodified rear inner fender liner?
In the junk pile in the corner of my garage.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

How many have the original rear unmodified rear inner fender liner?
I do

IMO the "inner fender well" as described in the rules != the plastic rear wheel well liner. However, I guess this means you can't vent the front ones to let air out of the wheel well through a vented hood like the ACP with the side vents i.e. how John Shiels has his car.

Maybe this stuff was thought up with metal cars in mind vs. our cars with composite inner fenders and rear tubs.

Last edited by travisnd; 03-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

I'm still in shock...guess it's back to finding some other class to run in.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

The BMW you got a no-go for ST2?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I'm still in shock...guess it's back to finding some other class to run in.
What knocks you out of ST2?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Unlimited Aero is well unlimited?

Been tinkering with some inner fender stuff myself to try at Memphis Saturday.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Well, it's a 1991 model that ran 195/14 tires all around - inner wells are modified to run a 10 inch wide tire. My front and rear subframes are slightly modified - nothing crazy, but they are 20 year old technology - this might be something Greg would make an exception on, although after these rule changes I'm guessing he's trying to draw a line in the sand.

I just bought an LS motor to swap in and was going to have it moved about 4 inches back - otherwise 80% of it sits forward of the front subframe. We actually figured out a way to do it without touching the floor pan - just firewall and transmission tunnel - clearly that's out the window as well.

Anyways, I bought the car cause I love the body style and it is something completely different. Now I have to be running against tube frame cars? I don't think so. Just need to figure out if I want to sell the car and look for something else or find another place to run. I will never understand what happened here - they put together a fun, well attended class with good competition. Suddenly there is rule creep and car counts are going down like crazy - between the first 3 events here (Southeast and Mid Atlantic) we've yet to have more than 3 cars in ST2. There are 7 in ST1 for RA this weekend, but I wonder if all of them are legal given the new rule changes.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Unlimited aero. Stock unmodified rocker. huh? How many have the original rear unmodified rear inner fender liner?
What liner ?? mine was rubber out years ago

Get notified of new replies

To "Revised" NASA ST rules are out!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Anyways, I bought the car cause I love the body style and it is something completely different. Now I have to be running against tube frame cars? I don't think so. Just need to figure out if I want to sell the car and look for something else or find another place to run. I will never understand what happened here - they put together a fun, well attended class with good competition. Suddenly there is rule creep and car counts are going down like crazy - between the first 3 events here (Southeast and Mid Atlantic) we've yet to have more than 3 cars in ST2. There are 7 in ST1 for RA this weekend, but I wonder if all of them are legal given the new rule changes.

FYI STR2 cars are about 2 seconds a lap slower than ST-2, we have not seen a STR2 car that was extremely fast yet.

Normally we have 2-5 ST2 cars and 2-5 STR2 cars on any given weekend in the Mid West/ Great Lakes so now it will be 1 ST2 car and 4-6 STR2 cars. The STR2 guys would cry when I ran with them actually at Putnam a couple years back they had 4 STR2 cars so I joined to be the 5th, they all wined to the Race Director and ended up running for fun so it was just me in STR2...now most of us won't have a choice.

BTW in 2009 I was both the ST2 and STR2 National Champion so there is no need to think STR2 is any faster than ST2, if you are competitive in one you will be in both.

I'm not ST2 legal either right noweither, my inner fenders are worn through, not really looking to spent $$$ to replace those.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
All most of us want are big fields to play in without knocking perfectly good cars out of the class for small things. Not good for ST2
Agreed - we had some great momentum in this class and I really felt 2012 was going to build on that. This apprears to be sending us in the wrong direction.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Almost every C5 Vette that has spent any time on the track, especially racing, has sheet metal splinted somewhere on/in the inner fenders. There are 4 distinct parts of the C5 front inner fender. The blockout panels in the front inner fender is the 1st to go. Here's what I'm talking about:

I wonder if the inner fender rule means viewed from the engine compartment or from inside the wheel well?

I agree with John B. NASA is picking the wrong battles. Untold thousands can be spent in unlimited aero, thousands on shocks and suspension, thousands again on carbon fiber pieces, but they pick brake ducts and inner fenders as the battleground? Damn, these are race cars with fabricated body pieces, both seen and unseen. WTF?

I started racing in ST2 the very first year is was created, and I was its biggest fan. I did it because it was simple, 8.7 to 1 and go at it. It was fantastic. I chose NASA and this class because, unlike SCCA T1, it was so simple even I could do it. Now unneeded rules creep is making it harder to justify in my mind.

Last edited by Falcon; 03-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: "Revised" NASA ST rules are out!