Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd time homestead!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2nd time homestead!!

Had a blast today at my second event ever at homestead...a couple of things from this time around:

-I wasn't as aggressive this time for some reason but I was stayin far more consistent and hitting the lines way better

-unfortunately I went off track on that pesky turn 10 ...I knew exactly what happened and what I did wrong...turned in too early, didn't slow down enough (although the instructor says the speed was fine)...and I let off the gas in the turn...I felt the car go squirrely and knew I wasn't going to make the turn sooooo I just did what they teach, go straight into the grass...nothing happened to the c6 that I could visually see...

-after a full day and as odd as it may sound cause of my mishap into the grass, I was allowed to go I to the solo group!!

Only things I've changed since my first track day at homestead was the brake pads and brake fluid...had a blast and will be going back tomorrow morning for the second dy of sessions, solo!!

Have two of my 5 sessions on film and will upload when I get a chance, given that they look decent as it was my first time using the gopro...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The more I run Homestead the better I like it. I love coming off the front straight and making the left turn into the road course - without touching the brakes.

I'll never get the toilet bowl right - and I've tried. A lot.

I also love the perfect pavement. Then again after Sebring every piece of pavement seems perfect.

Who are you running with?

Richard Newton
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
BennyBad
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfn026
The more I run Homestead the better I like it. I love coming off the front straight and making the left turn into the road course - without touching the brakes.

I also love the perfect pavement. Then again after Sebring every piece of pavement seems perfect.

Richard Newton

NASA is running there this weekend.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rfn026

Richard Newton
aahh the front straight is great...very relaxing straight actually lol...

running with nasa this weekend...my first event was with hooked on driving back in early december...
Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

we will be at Homestead next week with Chin Motorsports ..Hopefully test the race vette and instructing ,,,
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by msracing
we will be at Homestead next week with Chin Motorsports ..Hopefully test the race vette and instructing ,,,
It's definitely fun!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Good stuff. You got that coolant temp thing worked out?

I lost my LS2 last weekend at Homestead due to a timing chain break and looking for options on the rebuild now... torn between LS3 dry sump or rebuilding my LS2 with forged internals and aftermarket dry sump. Second option could get REALLY expensive if I'm not careful.

What times were you running? Still low 1:50's?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by taken19
Good stuff. You got that coolant temp thing worked out?

I lost my LS2 last weekend at Homestead due to a timing chain break and looking for options on the rebuild now... torn between LS3 dry sump or rebuilding my LS2 with forged internals and aftermarket dry sump. Second option could get REALLY expensive if I'm not careful.

What times were you running? Still low 1:50's?
yea the coolant temps stayed normal...and oil stayed pretty normal as well after it was changed...maybe thats all it needed?...

damn, second option can definitely get expensive man lol...how quickly are you looking to make a decision?

aahh so i used harrys lap timer...my fastest lap was 1:49.63

and it was with the instructor in my car...so since i graduated to solo, i did one session alone yesterday and 2 today...on the third one i asked for my instructor from yesterday to ride along with me so that he can see where im losing some time (up to that point, the best time was 1:52.6x...so he rode with me a couple laps, pointed out my braking points on two corners...and then on the third or so lap, BAM....1:49.63...friggin ecstatic about it ...im downloading the video to my laptop from the gopro camera so i can post it up...not sure if i can overlay the harrys laptimer on it as well...would be cool if so...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Great times for your second time in the track!

I will have the engine out of the car next week, hoping to make a decision the week after that depending on how the block looks. I got down to 1:47 on my heat cycled PS2's before the engine went. I think I could have squeezed another second out of myself and the car if I ran the last 2 sessions. Defiantly time for some R-compounds or Hoosiers after the build is done. I can easily out drive the tires I have now.

Congrats and great driving. I wasn't in the 1:40's until my 4th day out there.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Damn I'm jealous of your 1:47 time lol...seemed like impossible to get into the 1:40 range...I was ecstatic that I hit 1:52 ...what else have you done to your car?...I'm "trying" to stay as close to stock as possible (I assume changing brake fluid and pads doesn't constitute a "true" mod?)...

If you remember meeting them, the guy with the 135i is doing mid 1:40's...the guy with the z06 is on the same boat...so I guess relatively speaking you and I aren't doin too bad

Thanks for the congrats!!...dude im psyched and wanna head out again lol...only difference from 1:52 to 1:49 was the braking distance...changed that up per the instructor and voila
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

here's the clip for my best time...the guy talking in the video is my instructor

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd time homestead!!

Quick Reply: 2nd time homestead!!