Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount the transponder

Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to mount the transponder

Currently my transponder is mounted on the inside of my right front frame rail and has been working just fine in that location. But now that I'm adding aero to the car and an undertray, just wondering where some of you guys have been mounting your transponder as my undertray will be blocking it in that position. I don't want to move it too far back either. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I recommend mounting it on the back bumper.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Yep. Works great. A couple of zip ties and you're set.

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

I better watch it... one of you C5 Mafia guys might just take it off and duct tape it on the rear bumper
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I put mine on the side of the sway bar bracket for the rear of the undertray .... (It may pick up through the undertray, if it will go through the floorboard of our cars- But I have not tried it) plus its easy to get too with the right front wheel off. This is right before I mounted the transponder...

Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
Currently my transponder is mounted on the inside of my right front frame rail and has been working just fine in that location. But now that I'm adding aero to the car and an undertray, just wondering where some of you guys have been mounting your transponder as my undertray will be blocking it in that position. I don't want to move it too far back either. Thanks.
I have mine right behind my front undertray, but I don't drive a vette so that really doesn't help you..... I wouldn't put it at the rear just because that is how you are timed. If you have a really close race it's always better to have that as far forward as possible. Then again it might not come down to a nose length like NASCAR so feel free to do whatever just my $.02.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I better watch it... one of you C5 Mafia guys might just take it off and duct tape it on the rear bumper
Remove one of the rear fender inner liners and screw it to the back bumper then they can't take it....
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

on a 10 ft pole sticking out from the nose
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,716 Likes on 928 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It doesnt matter where it is mounted because it will be in the same place every time it records a lap. Having it in the front or back wont affect lap times. Even in a race it shouldnt matter because there will always be a visual of who crosses the line first.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Even in a race it shouldnt matter because there will always be a visual of who crosses the line first.
For TT you are right, but I don't think they would overturn T&S data for a visual, and that's assuming for sure somebody would have a picture.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

It doesnt matter where it is mounted because it will be in the same place every time it records a lap. Having it in the front or back wont affect lap times.
In time trials, that's true.

Even in a race it shouldnt matter because there will always be a visual of who crosses the line first.
That might be how it's supposed to be, but in reality it doesn't always happen.

I lost a position and bragging rights to a friend of mine who had his xponder on the front bumper and mine is affixed behind the front wheel in the space where the ECM is.

We had raced hard with each other for 1/2 an hour, but I crossed the line before him, and he and I both knew it. We laughed about it after the race about how I beat him by just a fender. Then the time sheets came out a little while later; I was scored behind him. I hollered, but T&S said they can't possibly view every one coming across the line so they have to let xponders be the judge.

The chances of being that close at the end are extremely small, but it can happen.

I learned my lesson about eliminating as many possibilities as I can that can let me lose a race.

Put it as far forward as you can safely and legally put it.

**** I was writing when Mark was posting. But we said the same thing.

Last edited by Falcon; 03-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,716 Likes on 928 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I stand corrected. I am moving mine to the front license plate now.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have mine in the location Jody mentioned... made it easy to run the wire into the passenger side footwell and pick up the spare pigtail to get switched 12V power.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Or better yet, they may mount it behind theirs.

Damn Mafia guys I tell ya.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Then the time sheets came out a little while later; I was scored behind him. I hollered, but T&S said they can't possibly view every one coming across the line so they have to let xponders be the judge.

If this was an SCCA event, T&S was derelict in their duties. The GCR (i.e. "the rules") require that finishes be visually observed...no wiggle room there. Starters and T&S should be keeping a lap chart.

If T&S claimed no visual observation, you had a perfectly valid protest, and should have exercised your rights to get the results corrected.

Maybe it wasn't a big deal to you or your friend....fair enough...BUT if T&S is simply taking "transponder passings" as final results in RACES THAT MATTER, then this is an issue that needs to be corrected.

If something like this happens again, at very least talk to the Chief Steward or one of the Asst. Chief Stewards.

DK
(an SCCA steward & sometimes a Chief Steward)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
If this was an SCCA event, T&S was derelict in their duties. The GCR (i.e. "the rules") require that finishes be visually observed...no wiggle room there. Starters and T&S should be keeping a lap chart.

If T&S claimed no visual observation, you had a perfectly valid protest, and should have exercised your rights to get the results corrected.

Maybe it wasn't a big deal to you or your friend....fair enough...BUT if T&S is simply taking "transponder passings" as final results in RACES THAT MATTER, then this is an issue that needs to be corrected.

If something like this happens again, at very least talk to the Chief Steward or one of the Asst. Chief Stewards.

DK
(an SCCA steward & sometimes a Chief Steward)
It was the "other" group.

I haven't seen anything in their CCR specifying anything but transponders.

Thankfully, my buddy and I were in different classes and all that was at stake was bragging rights, and beer.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by travisnd
I have mine in the location Jody mentioned... made it easy to run the wire into the passenger side footwell and pick up the spare pigtail to get switched 12V power.

I bet you didn't realize mounting it that close to the PCM can cause interference in the transponder and it can report your time incorrectly.
Those Mafia guys have got all the tricks down and they have figured out how to make the PCM "adjust" your lap times when it is mounted there
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I bet you didn't realize mounting it that close to the PCM can cause interference in the transponder and it can report your time incorrectly.
Those Mafia guys have got all the tricks down and they have figured out how to make the PCM "adjust" your lap times when it is mounted there
How else would I set any track records

Serioulsy though... are you serious about any issues? I've had it mounted there for going on 2 years w/o issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to mount the transponder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to mount the transponder