Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Hero2 HD fails to record?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GoPro Hero2 HD fails to record?

Okay, either I'm a complete idiot, or these cameras are totally flakey. I get it set up, before the session I push the button on the front to select Video, then I press the button on top to Select/Start. The display shows the time counting up and the red light is blinking at me. After the session I push the Select/Stop button on top to finish the recording.

Repeat this throughout the day. At Laguna Seca a couple weeks ago I got the first two sessions, but only got 12s of the third, and 1m32s of the fourth. This past weekend at Infineon, I got the last 15s of the session as I rolled in to pit lane and then the time in the paddock before I turned the camera off. But absolutely none of the track time -- clearly I wasn't pressing buttons out on track so I've no idea why I only got the very very end of the session.

I've tried importing off the camera directly in to iMovie, which often fails. And I've tried copying the files off the camera to the Desktop and then importing from there which usually succeeds.

So... what am I doing wrong? Or is this camera just a POS?

For short test recordings it always seems to work outside of the car...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Tried a new battery? format your SD card?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like a dud to me. How big is your sd card? Maybe format it, check for firmware upgrade, switch to record at start and test it?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure this is it but make sure you clear the video cache thats stored on your card. In your manual (pos paper sheet) it shows you how. Even though you think your card is completely empty after deleting files it isn't. Thats why it quit. It was full. Its like reformating the card.

After 2 years,I just sold mine. I was not very happy with it. If your not filming anywhere outside of the car its not worth having. No LCD display (you can but one but expensive) and the user menu is terrible.
I'm going back to a full camcorder. Just picked up Samsung HMX-Q10.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

What class is your SD card and what resolution are you recording? I had issues trying to record 720p/60fps and 1080/30fps on a Class 6 card. When I stepped up to a Class 10, it recorded fine.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer is I'm a complete idiot. I rummaged through the SD card itself and the videos are there -- but iMovie won't import them off the camera. I'll futz with it now that I have the videos on my desktop and see if I can get iMovie working.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a standalone SD card reader (or at least don't use the camera as a reader). Just pop the card in the reader and use the finder to copy everything over to the hard drive. Then import things into iMovie from the local (HDD) copy.

The camera is picky about the format of the card. Make sure you're formatting the card in the camera itself (Erase -> All). Formatting in your Mac or PC can confuse it apparently.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 16gb for my Hero once and it would only record for 30sec-1min. BUT on a 4gb, it would do fine. I think it has to do with the write speed of the SD card. I have a good 32gb card now and its fine
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
gsxnut
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a a 1080hp Hero and I have had great times with it. I have recorded hundreds of video and multiple track sessions with it. I have only had an issue a couple times where I did not get the card all the way in. I have run it in upside down mode, dropped it from my helmet a couple times while karting and it still works like a champ. I was so impressed with the flexibility and compact nature of the it that I just bought the HERO2.

Mark
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

not to thread jack, but while I've been able to record just fine the playback is suspect.

I'd open it up in QT and it would be 'jumpy'. 2 seconds of motion and then it would skip ahead a couple secs. But it's only in QT. Every other playback software it plays just fine.

I thought it was my SD card, but even after buying another 16G class 10 ( from GoPro ) card it still did it.

I wish you could tell easier that it's recording as well. I know we missed a few runs a couple weekends back because I got out of synch and was hitting "stop" instead of "start"...lol
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used GoPros for everything from surfing, to racing, to flying and they work fine.

Make sure you aren't using a cheap SD card. Get at least a class 10. Format it in the GoPro then enjoy.

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro Hero2 HD fails to record?

Quick Reply: GoPro Hero2 HD fails to record?