Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Preparation for C6 Question - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
scruffydog
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Preparation for C6 Question - Brake Pads

I have a 2007 Corvette C6 Base and I'm thinking of taking it to the track for the first time. However, I'm not sure what to prep. My buddy told me to change the brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 4 (Motul if possible) and brake pads, etc. Currently, I'm looking at brake pads (purely dedicated to track), can you guys provide any advise. Noise factor isn't a concern. A quick google search showed EBC Yellow 4000 Series Stuff. Does any one have any experience of these brake pads or other recommendations would be appreciated!
Cheers!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your looking for a dedicated set of track pads I would go Carbotech ... Im sure the Carbotech guy will respond with what compound lol. Yellowstuff is great for a street/autocross or light track pad but for a dedicated pad you might as well go with a dedicated compound.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I purchased the hawk dtc 60 pads.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...rack+Only+Pads

I will most likely try the carbotechs next.

I bled my brakes with a Phoenix reverse brake bleeder. I added amsoil 600..

Also added lg's brake duct kit ..
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/G2-Spindle-Ducts
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that as you're getting started with track day driving, if you're new too it, you don't need a crazy pad. Your instructors won't let you go that fast until you start getting comfortable. Understanding that the limits of a stock vette are pretty darned high, most instructors like to keep tight reigns on new vette guys.

That being said, especially on a C6 base, pads, fluid and cooling are key. With fluid, I would use Motul. It's not as pricey as Castrol, but has a higher wet boiling point than almost everything else out there. And at least recently, the price has been coming down ($18/pint in my area lately).

Pads are an individual call. A few things to think about - if you're going to drive the car on the street, it's likely noise WILL become an issue for you, even if it's not now. Also, will you drive with active handling on? If so, your brake temps will be higher than if you run with it off. Are you a heavy braker? Most new guys are, and will get a ton of heat in the brakes simply by overslowing for corners. I run with the AH off in my C6Z, and have been known to late brake Lotus Exiges - I was able to run for a long time with Cobalt CSRs, which are their autocross compound. Longer sessions, hotter temps, and driving the car harder now, I'm on Carbotech XP12/10.

The smartest thing you can do, IMO, in order to gain an understanding of how aggressive of a pad you need, and how much brake cooling you need, is to understand your rotor and caliper temps. I put caliper temperature strips on my calipers, as this is a close approximation to fluid temp (over a 30 minute session, at least):
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/other...er-strips.html

I also use rotor temp paint to monitor the peak rotor/pad temperature.
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

When you look at brake pads for track use, they should always have a temperature operating range. Check your actual rotor temperatures, and make sure your setup is within the recommended range for your pads. Beyond that (ie Carbotech vs Hawk vs Cobalt vs PFC, etc, etc) is purely a personal feel thing, IMO.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

cobalt pads for superior stopping power and longevity IMHO
Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scruffydog
I have a 2007 Corvette C6 Base and I'm thinking of taking it to the track for the first time. However, I'm not sure what to prep. My buddy told me to change the brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 4 (Motul if possible) and brake pads, etc. Currently, I'm looking at brake pads (purely dedicated to track), can you guys provide any advise. Noise factor isn't a concern. A quick google search showed EBC Yellow 4000 Series Stuff. Does any one have any experience of these brake pads or other recommendations would be appreciated!
Cheers!
If it's truly your first time going to the track, just inspect your car and make sure everything is OK. Check your pads to see if they have good life left and top off your fluids. You will have a lot to learn the first time and it's extremely unlikely you will overcook your brakes. Just focus on learning the track, the line, and how to balance the car from braking zone to mid corner to track out. If you decide to come back again, then you can think about changing pads. The pads you choose need to match your level of driving and level of grip. For example, I was fine running hawk hp+ for about a year. Then I outgrew them as I went to stickier tires and faster driving. You don't want to go to a super high temp pad if you aren't getting the heat into them because they won't function as designed and they will chew up your rotors. Just my $0.02. Have fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
If it's truly your first time going to the track, just inspect your car and make sure everything is OK. Check your pads to see if they have good life left and top off your fluids. You will have a lot to learn the first time and it's extremely unlikely you will overcook your brakes. Just focus on learning the track, the line, and how to balance the car from braking zone to mid corner to track out. If you decide to come back again, then you can think about changing pads. The pads you choose need to match your level of driving and level of grip. For example, I was fine running hawk hp+ for about a year. Then I outgrew them as I went to stickier tires and faster driving. You don't want to go to a super high temp pad if you aren't getting the heat into them because they won't function as designed and they will chew up your rotors. Just my $0.02. Have fun.

Do this just change to dot 4 fluid and you will be fine, if you want then next time go with the bobcats brake pads from carbotech.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

High temp brake fluid is a must. I run at VIR in Virginia and the track has 2 straights that will heat up the brakes to a point where you will have no brakes if using street fluid.

I also started on Hawk HP+ pads even in my first HPDE. They work great your first 1-8 schools (2 sets worth). I moved to carbo-tech XP10's on the front and XP8's on the rear after the Hawks. Make sure you wash your wheels especially if you use Hawk as the dust is very corrosive and will eat your finish.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Cheers!
Carbotech has a few options, I would use XP10 compound front and XP8 compound on the rear.

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it was an instant success. XP10™ immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite friction material with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F (898°C). Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,900lbs or less. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Scruffydog,
Please read my article on choosing pads in the link someone posted above. Then give us a call and we'll get you set up on something based on your specific objectives with your car. We sell a wide range of products from various manufacturers, and we'll provide you with something tailored to your needs. Thanks.
Jeff
Essex
704-824-6030
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
scruffydog
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Keep in mind that as you're getting started with track day driving, if you're new too it, you don't need a crazy pad. Your instructors won't let you go that fast until you start getting comfortable. Understanding that the limits of a stock vette are pretty darned high, most instructors like to keep tight reigns on new vette guys.

That being said, especially on a C6 base, pads, fluid and cooling are key. With fluid, I would use Motul. It's not as pricey as Castrol, but has a higher wet boiling point than almost everything else out there. And at least recently, the price has been coming down ($18/pint in my area lately).

Pads are an individual call. A few things to think about - if you're going to drive the car on the street, it's likely noise WILL become an issue for you, even if it's not now. Also, will you drive with active handling on? If so, your brake temps will be higher than if you run with it off. Are you a heavy braker? Most new guys are, and will get a ton of heat in the brakes simply by overslowing for corners. I run with the AH off in my C6Z, and have been known to late brake Lotus Exiges - I was able to run for a long time with Cobalt CSRs, which are their autocross compound. Longer sessions, hotter temps, and driving the car harder now, I'm on Carbotech XP12/10.

The smartest thing you can do, IMO, in order to gain an understanding of how aggressive of a pad you need, and how much brake cooling you need, is to understand your rotor and caliper temps. I put caliper temperature strips on my calipers, as this is a close approximation to fluid temp (over a 30 minute session, at least):
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/other...er-strips.html

I also use rotor temp paint to monitor the peak rotor/pad temperature.
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

When you look at brake pads for track use, they should always have a temperature operating range. Check your actual rotor temperatures, and make sure your setup is within the recommended range for your pads. Beyond that (ie Carbotech vs Hawk vs Cobalt vs PFC, etc, etc) is purely a personal feel thing, IMO.
Thank you for such a detail write up!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

See my posts in your other thread in the C6 section.

Bill
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96Corvette96
High temp brake fluid is a must. I run at VIR in Virginia and the track has 2 straights that will heat up the brakes to a point where you will have no brakes if using street fluid.

I also started on Hawk HP+ pads even in my first HPDE. They work great your first 1-8 schools (2 sets worth). I moved to carbo-tech XP10's on the front and XP8's on the rear after the Hawks. Make sure you wash your wheels especially if you use Hawk as the dust is very corrosive and will eat your finish.

When should the dust be cleaned off? Immediately after a run? Or after the track day? It takes me about 4 hours to get home from the track. Will I find my wheels messed up, what is the urgency here?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by savaGe
When should the dust be cleaned off? Immediately after a run? Or after the track day? It takes me about 4 hours to get home from the track. Will I find my wheels messed up, what is the urgency here?
The main problem comes if the wheels and dust get wet.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you decide to use carbotech there is no need to worry about this.

Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust. Even if you get stuck in the rain.

The Hawk material will become like concrete on your wheels if they get wet.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

...change the brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 4 (Motul if possible) ...
American alternative to Motul:
AMSOIL Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid (Product Code BF4SN)
Dry Boiling Point - 580F, Wet Boiling Point - 410F

As for the brake pads, I think you got some good advice from CorvetteZ51Racer above. I'd start out with a mid-grade pad like the Carbotech XP10/8 combo Adam recommended above and move up as you get more track experience. I raced on the Carbotechs (including the XP10/8 combo way back when) for many years and found them to be exactly as Adam has described above though I've moved on to their more aggressive race pads. Haven't used the Essex pads. Last year did a few races on the Carbotech (XP16) and a few on Cobalt Friction (XR1).

Bleed your brakes a lot.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
If you decide to use carbotech there is no need to worry about this.

Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust. Even if you get stuck in the rain.

The Hawk material will become like concrete on your wheels if they get wet.
I will Try them next time. What's comparable to hawks dtc 70's?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I will Try them next time. What's comparable to hawks dtc 70's?
Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 2000°F+ (121°C to 1093°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Preparation for C6 Question - Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Track Preparation for C6 Question - Brake Pads