Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Stud Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Seat Stud Removal

I've done a couple searches and have seen threads with folks going to remove the studs but haven't seen one where someone has actually done it.

I installed some Corbeau A4 seats and got the supports on for the BK harness bar on with good thread engagement. However, I'm concerned about having enough thread engagement with the Vetteworks sub belt bar. I was thinking I'd be better off changing out the studs for Grade 8 bolts that are a bit longer than the stock studs.

I've heard of grinding off the bottom of the stud and pushing them up through the floor but was wondering why can't the be pounded back through the bottom? They seem to be bonded in place with some type of plastic or epoxy.

What is the best way to remove the studs on a C5 to use bolts instead?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by YYZ06
I've done a couple searches and have seen threads with folks going to remove the studs but haven't seen one where someone has actually done it.

I installed some Corbeau A4 seats and got the supports on for the BK harness bar on with good thread engagement. However, I'm concerned about having enough thread engagement with the Vetteworks sub belt bar. I was thinking I'd be better off changing out the studs for Grade 8 bolts that are a bit longer than the stock studs.

I've heard of grinding off the bottom of the stud and pushing them up through the floor but was wondering why can't the be pounded back through the bottom? They seem to be bonded in place with some type of plastic or epoxy.

What is the best way to remove the studs on a C5 to use bolts instead?
Grind the head off the bolt. You'll have to get under the car to do that. Once the head is off, you can push it out from the top.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't have access to a grinder so I hammered them out from inside the car. I put a socket on a floor jack and put it around the bolt head from under the car. Make sense?

BTW - those bolt heads are only tack welded in three spots around the perimeter. It doesn't take much to pop them out. You'll be surprised at how thin the flat bar is that they're welded to. I would pick up some 1/8" flat bar, drill holes to match the floor and run your new bolts through them as an added safety measure.

Here is how I did it on my old car.

Last edited by sperkins; 03-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sperkins:
Bossdog (01-01-2017), G_Loc (12-18-2021), smitty2919 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by sperkins
I didn't have access to a grinder so I hammered them out from inside the car. I put a socket on a floor jack and put it around the bolt head from under the car. Make sense?

BTW - those bolt heads are only tack welded in three spots around the perimeter. It doesn't take much to pop them out. You'll be surprised at how thin the flat bar is that they're welded to. I would pick up some 1/8" flat bar, drill holes to match the floor and run your new bolts through them as an added safety measure.

Here is how I did it on my old car.

Excellent idea. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I thought you could just bang them out with a hammer, from the inside. I don't remember needing to support them as sperkins said, but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

B
f
h
!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, no, no!

just thread the nut onto the bolt from the top and wiggle it back and forth with vise grips. They come right out.

Jim
Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I thought you could just bang them out with a hammer, from the inside. I don't remember needing to support them as sperkins said, but it sounds like a good idea.
Sometimes that works, sometimes the weld is better than others and the cross bracket tears. Anything that can be a PITA, eventually will.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Sometimes that works, sometimes the weld is better than others and the cross bracket tears. Anything that can be a PITA, eventually will.
Yep, I tried all those methods mentioned in this thread and managed to completely screw up the bolt from the top, but it still wouldn't let go. I used a BFH and even a GBFH's, but it wouldn't punch through.

That's when I broke out the grinder from the bottom, and it was easy.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

If you want more security I would have added the 1/8" bar all the way to the tunnel and the outter sill box and tack welded it. If you end inside those points on the thin GM bar how is that stronger? All you do is move the weakest failure point to the end of the new 1/8" bar. I'm not an engineer so maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Scott needs ballast so all of his brackets are 1/2" steel.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
If you want more security I would have added the 1/8" bar all the way to the tunnel and the outter sill box and tack welded it. If you end inside those points on the thin GM bar how is that stronger? All you do is move the weakest failure point to the end of the new 1/8" bar. I'm not an engineer so maybe I'm wrong.
Have you ever seen how thin that OEM cross bar is? By putting the bar there you're spreadig the load from two 1/2" holes to the entire cross section.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
YYZ06
Racer

I ended up using sperkins method. I had previously installed some Corbeau seats and had the rear bolts and B-K harness bar supports installed. I didn't want to take that apart to remove the seat. I used a cold chisel and a 3 1/2 pound hammer and supported the bottom using a jack and 24 mm deep socket. It went pretty smooth after I got the hang of it. The method was, pound the stud from the top until there is some separation of the stud head and the brace then use the cold chisel to break the welds holding the stud.

After removing the first one, I decided to try the grind off the bottom method on the second one. I felt that I'd be older and grayer than I already am before grinding it all the way down and went back to the hammer and chisel. If the seat was out, it would have been really smooth because I could have pounded straight down. I had to work around the seat bracket but it was still much faster than grinding the bottoms off.

I also reinforced the area with 1/8" Steel. The spot welds tear the metal a bit so I like the idea of spreading the load a little more.

Here are the tools:

The bolt with the three spot welds (as previously mentioned):

The brace after the bolt is removed:

The finished product:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by YYZ06; 06-07-2014 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bossdog (01-01-2017)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, you guys that are pulling the studs, what size bolts you putting back in, Grade 8, 1/2"?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
YYZ06
Racer

I used Grade 8 - 3/8 x 2" coarse thread flange bolts. I'd say one could get by with 1.5". I have the Corbeau seat brackets and Veteworks sub-belt bracket.

Pix

Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. I'm getting ready to add the Corbeau A4's to my C5Z along with the sub belt mount. I'll use all the great info here.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Stud Removal

Old 01-06-2017, 02:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Grind the head off the bolt. You'll have to get under the car to do that. Once the head is off, you can push it out from the top.
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. Where you been man? I was thinking the other day about all the guys who used to rule this forum. You, An U Egl, Varkwso, brkntxn, cobra4b, jason?, 9?Jersey are some of the names. Never see them on here any more. I guess they've gone to Miata forum?

Welcome back.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. Where you been man?
Check the post dates. Someone brought a thread back from the depths of the archives.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Quick Reply: Seat Stud Removal