Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Wear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Wear Problem

Little background, this is on a 04 coupe with C6 Z06 Struts and C6Z51 sway bars. The car is a weekend only car and when it is driven it is getting its neck rung in the canyons. About a month and a half ago I had my alignment redone to specifications I found here (I have a print out somewhere but it was the street/some track for street tires recommended setup).

So to the point.

I noticed today after a nice 4 hour run through the mountains that my front tires are wearing badly on the outer edge. The outer most 2-3 inches of each side has some unusual wear, not only is it worn more than the rest, but the edge of the tread (going horizontally across the tire) is worn kind of sticking out. The edge has a bit of a flap of unworn rubber hanging out, its hard to describe and I tried to get a picture but it doesnt come out. The tread does not do this on the insides.

From my understanding having more wear on the outer edge is a sign of not enough camber and the car is rolling over onto the outside edge, if i give it more negative camber it may correct the problem and result in better handling?

Any advise is welcome
Old 03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd say it's the "struts".

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Problem