Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ever take your crank pulley off aaaaaaand

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default ever take your crank pulley off aaaaaaand

The seal comes with it??? Not to hot..
You can see where the seal ate into the pulley a good amount.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Mine was like that. Some freaking stiff spring in the seal I guess.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted to replace the seal the first time I did the job just because and didn't realize there was a lip in the timing cover. Well, I broke it off removing the seal. Not that big a deal though. I bought a good, used cover from DRM and installed a new seal. Don't worry about it. Just remove the timing cover and replace the seal. It's straightforward and will give you the opportunity to take a peek behind the cover and see if anything needs attention. Install the cover loosely and then install the damper which will also locate the cover properly so the seal is sound. Torque down the cover afterwards. It's a good time to replace the chain and upgrade the oil pump if you need to. Put a dab of silicone on the bottom corners of the cover.

Last edited by trackboss; 03-25-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I wanted to replace the seal the first time I did the job just because and didn't realize there was a lip in the timing cover. Well, I broke it off removing the seal. Not that big a deal though. I bought a good, used cover from DRM and installed a new seal. Don't worry about it. Just remove the timing cover and replace the seal. It's straightforward and will give you the opportunity to take a peek behind the cover and see if anything needs attention. Install the cover loosely and then install the damper which will also locate the cover properly so the seal is sound. Torque down the cover afterwards. It's a good time to replace the chain and upgrade the oil pump if you need to. Put a dab of silicone on the bottom corners of the cover.

Get notified of new replies

To ever take your crank pulley off aaaaaaand

Quick Reply: ever take your crank pulley off aaaaaaand