Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you run DA shocks help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default If you run DA shocks help me decide

It's time I did this, so what are you using? Plus/minus? Recommend?

Don't drift into coil overs, not doing that. Rulz.

I would like some that will work on c5z & c6z (planning for future)

Now c5z.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Give Guy Ankeny a call. 805 279-1338 You probably know him already. He does a lot of autocross shocks.

Steve A.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Give Guy Ankeny a call. 805 279-1338 You probably know him already. He does a lot of autocross shocks.

Steve A.
I saw him last Sat a SD practice. Will catch him at the SD tour. Good call.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a long term purchase I would go for the best. Penske's.

You can buy them configured how you need them now and then as needs change ect. they can easily be upgraded or changed as needed. It's a one time investment.
I've seen a few good deals on sets here on the forum recently.
Also, you could get the coilovers and take the srpings and seats off and just use the shocks for now. You never know, you may start racing in a class that allows coilovers.

I run the 8760's but they are a 3-way.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a good deal

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...oil-overs.html
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Those are non adj., correct? Sorry, not familiar with the details of Penske.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/75...RAL%202010.pdf

7500 series non/single/double adjust

Anyone use these?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have worked with Penske on shock projects (some various builds on my car, and will continue some testing this year) as well as media projects (including a current project for an upcoming TV show). We just shot up at their facility in Reading last week, spending a lot of time on then new Indycar inerters. They are fascinating piece of engineering and technology. If you wanted to start up a shock company and compete at the highest levels of motorsport, I can't even imagine trying to compete against a company that has 25 yrs of knowledge, R&D, notes, and experience in that field. There is a reason 99% of the NASCAR teams, vast majority of Indycar teams, and over half the F1 field use their stuff, and it's not because of bling, marketing hype, or BS. You don't build components for F1 cars unless your crap works. Period.

What is probably not known about them, is that they are a fairly small company. They do not have a "street/grassroots racer" division, and a "pro" division. If you buy a set of shocks from them, they are assembled from the same components used in the pro series, in the same room(s), by the same techs. Your work order may literally be sitting in between a NASCAR team, and an Indycar team work order on the same bench.

Some info on the indycar J-dampers (inerters)

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...-2-suspension/

I would run their stuff for a few reasons:

They are very easy to rebuild and revalve yourself (they are designed to be).
The components that make up the shock are hand made and of the highest quality and literally with regular basic service, will last forever.
Their knowledge and customer support is going to be second to none.

I would not hesitate to buy a set of used Penke's.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I would agree with drivinhard about the quality of Penskes.

I got a set of used single adjustable 7500s last year. They were several years old. Before putting them on my car, all four were dyno'd for me, at near full soft, near full stiff, and midpoint. The repeatability side-to-side (one rear as compared to the other and one front as compared to the other) was remarkable. The traces nearly lay right on top of each other at all three settings.

Last edited by acrace; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by acrace
I would agree with drivinhard about the quality of Penskes.

I got a set of used single adjustable 7500s last year. They were several years old. Before putting them on my car, all four were dyno'd for me, at near full soft, near full stiff, and midpoint. The repeatability side-to-side (one rear as compared to the other and one front as compared to the other) was remarkable. The traces nearly lay right on top of each other at all three settings.
Impressive

When did the 7500's come out?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I also run Penske's on my car(LS1 RX-7). Mark(drivinhard) got all of the SouthEast guys feet wet with Penske, and I dove in after I talked to the Penske Rep. I went with the 8665's. They are triple adjustable, external resevoir canister, and they have a dual bleed shaft. It's very similar to what the Rolex cars run.

As Mark said, Penske Racing Shocks is a small operation. The guy who built my shocks is also the guy that builds most of the IndyCar stuff as well as various other things. That is the one downside to buying direct from Penske... it might take a little time to get your shocks(relative). When an F1, NASCAR, or IndyCar team calls... you can guess who takes priority, despite how fast/important I might think I am . I knew that up front and didn't need them super fast. Just to frame this though(because everyone has a different opinion on "a while"), I think it was about a month from the time they were ordered to the time they were at my doorstep.

Also, Penske also offers a shock class where they teach you the basics of shocks as well as how to rebuild your shocks. Again, based on their availability. Mark has done the class. I haven't had the chance to yet, but am planning on doing the class and taking one of my coilovers up there to learn how to rebuild them once I get home. Of course, we are in the middle of race season again so I doubt they will have that much availability.

The 7665 seems like a really good bang for the buck shock. It's a dual bleed shaft, can be double adjustable, etc, etc, etc... That's the other great thing about Penske. Everything is made to order to what you want. single/double/triple adjustable, Valving, shock shafts, shock length, hose length, fitting location and orientation in shock body(if you have external resevior), etc, etc, etc...

Last edited by Brent Dalton; 03-28-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Impressive

When did the 7500's come out?
Not sure. 2008 or earlier. I'm guessing (I'm the third owner of the set) that what I have is from 2006 or 2007. Not sure of the service history of my set, but I believe that the previous owner had them a couple of years without servicing them.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you run 7500's get them to build them to stock shock length (free length). Typically they will build them shorter since most guys have their cars lowered, but I have run short and longer, and the longer is by far better for travel and droop and feel.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Penske 8300 DAs. Have had them rebuilt and they are currently sitting in the garage...just haven't had the time to put them back on....

Mine were done by Joe Stimola before he passed, RIP, but his son has taken over the business.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by drivinhard
if you run 7500's get them to build them to stock shock length (free length). Typically they will build them shorter since most guys have their cars lowered, but I have run short and longer, and the longer is by far better for travel and droop and feel.
I am lowered on stock adjusters & I would like to stay stock length or just a tad shorter so long as that works on the car. Too short could bottom out, is that true?

I bottom out my Pfadt's a little once in a while, but no damage except the rubber bumps get clobbered. I like very much the idea of not having to locate the canisters, even though they are allowed (rulz).

Get notified of new replies

To If you run DA shocks help me decide

Quick Reply: If you run DA shocks help me decide