Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zip rear bumpsteer kit with Pfadt Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Zip rear bumpsteer kit with Pfadt Coilovers HELP PLEASE

Has anyone installed the Zip rear bumpsteer kit?

I have a 2002 STO race car with Pfadt Double Adjustable coilovers and trying to install the zip rear bumpsteer kit.. We are running into clearance issues where the bumpsteer bar is hitting the coilover spring...

Anyone have suggestions? Does the zip bumpsteer kit not work with coilovers?

Thanks

Last edited by andy3101; 03-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed it on my car, but I use ohlins with leaf springs. If your springs are 2.5" and you can install 2.25" that will give you a little more clearance and reduce weight.
All the race cars I have seen have used a custom mount on the crossmember side to move the inner pivot rearward.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

On some coil overs they will hit. You can do what some guys do and build a bracket to move the line rearward, you can change the diameter of your spring or if the possibility exist go to a shorter spring. I have Afco shocks using a Hyperco spring on my race and have ample clearance. I actually had a small interference on my CV housing until I went to the LG billet spindle supports. I do have a drawing for a offset yoke, but it would be pretty expensive to get just a couple of them made.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
andy3101
Racer

I believe the Pfadt coilovers are already 2.25 springs... I will double check tomorrow to make sure... Anyone have pictures of these custom brackets to move the rod rearward? Or am I better off running the stock rear tie rods???
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy3101
I believe the Pfadt coilovers are already 2.25 springs... I will double check tomorrow to make sure... Anyone have pictures of these custom brackets to move the rod rearward? Or am I better off running the stock rear tie rods???
I have the same issue with my Penske's running the Zip tie rods.
But I have found a cure.
Shorter boots on the axle and offset on the lower shock mount.
Now I have plenty of clearance on both sides.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There really isn't a whole lot of packaging space down there to begin with. An inverted shock which positions the spring at the bottom of the shock assembly is going to have a really hard time clearing a larger tie rod and hardware. The we already use a 2.25" spring with both our Single and Double adjustable FeatherLight packages.

Zip may have a solution to offset the mounting positions, but I wouldn't expect too many inverted shock coilover systems to clear these parts unfortunately.

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 03-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

http://www.3rauto.com/

3r used to make a high end rear toe kit that moved everything away. They have moved on to different vehicles now, but may still have the Corvette parts. They were also the first to make drop spindles for the Vettes. It may be worth a try
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Zip Corvettes

Has anyone installed the Zip rear bumpsteer kit?

I have a 2002 STO race car with Pfadt Double Adjustable coilovers and trying to install the zip rear bumpsteer kit.. We are running into clearance issues where the bumpsteer bar is hitting the coilover spring...

Anyone have suggestions? Does the zip bumpsteer kit not work with coilovers?

Thanks
Andy,
Is that your C5 in the picture?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
andy3101
Racer

Yes, purchased last fall. Had zip stickers all over it and grassroots stickers as well.

It was pretty banged up, spent many hours making it race ready again as the previous couple owners just abused it at hpde.

Gary and I had emails going back and forth about this bump steer kit. You were cc'd. Gary said you were sending out a solution.

Please confirm,

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Gary and I had emails going back and forth about this bump steer kit. You were cc'd. Gary said you were sending out a solution.

Please confirm,

Thanks,
Craig
I would be interested in know what the solution is as well. I bought the kit last year and came up with a work around but would be interested in seeing the solution.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 PM
andy3101
Racer

New info. Old coil overs had top shock mount offset frontward. New Pfadt double adjustsbles mount in stock location causing zip rear bump steer rod and stock rear tie rod to have clearance issues.

I will be taking car to blackdog racing for a bracket to be made or other solution they may have.

Will keep updating as I get new info. Maybe Pfadt racing can confirm these shocks should work with stock c5 rear tie rods...

Note: car alignment has not been set, so not sure how much the clearance issue is if car was aligned.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
andy3101
Racer

We put spacers in to move tie rod mounting point on the cradle side rearward one inch. Normal mounting position on control arm side.

Sway bars hit tie rod now that tie rod is one inch rearward so had to make spacers to move sway bar rearward one inch as well.

Will post up pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks to world challenge team blackdog racing for helping out over the phone.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 PM
andy3101
Racer

[URL=""]

[URL=""]

[URL=""]
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Zip Corvettes

Craig,
Sorry I did not realize that was the car. That car has cost me allot of heartache. That was one of our original test cars for our brake kit. We installed the kit and the car raced maybe two or three races and before we got any real data it was sold with our brakes on it. It was originally Fegley who owned the car at the time and our brake kit was only on there for testing. When the car was sold he made all these promises that the new owner would resume testing, however that is not the way it goes. Of course he made out because they were on the car and we lost about 5k worth of brakes. Anyways, no issues with you it is water under the bridge but every time I see that car it reminds of it. When Gelston owned it, it was a very fast car and he could really drive it.
Justin
Craig,
Not sure if the calipers or brackets have been changed, but I still have stock on rotor hats and rotors for that car.
The calipers changed about 3 years ago and require a different bracket and hat, but I still have some here. I also have a set of original hats like what we put on that car the first time that have the spacer made into the hat.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
andy3101
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Craig,
Not sure if the calipers or brackets have been changed, but I still have stock on rotor hats and rotors for that car.
The calipers changed about 3 years ago and require a different bracket and hat, but I still have some here. I also have a set of original hats like what we put on that car the first time that have the spacer made into the hat.
Justin,

The car has had zero maitenance done to it in the past 3 or so years.. I bought the car as a ticking time bomb... Replaced everything on it...

I do need new front rotors for this car., and the calipers probably need a rebuild as well. Need brake pads as well front and rear.. rear brakes are the stock C5 front calipers.. Can you PM me your phone number... It will be a lot easier to talk about the brakes over the phone..

We have been dealing with Black Dog racing (world challenge team) to help get the car right as they are local for us...

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

It looks like mine are going to clear with no problem! I'm running the new Pfadt single adjustable inverted coilover shocks. I have not put the suspension back together yet, but with everything in place before tearing it down. It looked like there would be no problems with clearance I can post pictures if anyone needs them. Don't know why there is a difference in the three cars? Mine is basically stock parts with Zip bumpsteer kit and Pfadt shocks and poly bushings. The Zip pieces look great. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 04-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDIllon
It looks like mine are going to clear with no problem! I'm running the new Pfadt single adjustable inverted shocks. .......... JD
You are running just the shocks. There should be no issues with shocks and factory springs ever.
We are talking about people running coilovers. The coil springs are what we have interference with.

Get notified of new replies

To Zip rear bumpsteer kit with Pfadt Coilovers

Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[URL=""]

[URL=""]

[URL=""]
I copied Blackdog Motorsport’s fix that they did on your rod to give the offset needed. I talked to Ray Sorrenson at Blackdog and he was a fountain of information . I had a concern of what the rod angle that was created by the offset frame mounted would do to bump steer and he said it has a positive effect in decreasing bump steer. He has tested the offset on his race car. That is good news after all. I used .50 “ 13 X3 “ long Grade 8 hardened bolts. I had New Era Performance machine two spacers exactly .7525” wide to fit into the space. Thanks for your help
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm running the single adjustable coilovers with the springs on the shocks!! JD
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JDIllon; 04-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I'm running the single adjustable coilovers with the springs on the shocks!! JD
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
JD,
I have no idea why you have so much clearence . All coilovers mount the same. All of them have a spring that is from 3.3" to 3.7 " OD to clear by the rod. Maybe Justin can tell us why your bump steer kit tie rod clears the spring.

Quick Reply: Zip rear bumpsteer kit with Pfadt Coilovers