Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best machine/method to verify wheel/rim is straight and true???............

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Best machine/method to verify wheel/rim is straight and true???............

Before mounting a tire, do any of the RR's invest the time to verify the wheel is true? If so, what machine/method is used?

I'm speaking in terms of radial and axial runout, what/if any would be acceptable?

Do you find the GM wheels to be closer tolerance than aftermarket?

Thanks

I have personally seen both the GM C5 thinspoke and Z06 wheels take a hit on the road, bend on inner lip and typically crack near the bend on the inner up; As most are away the C5 thinspokes(polished base wheel 00-04) often crack on the outer spoke easily seen on the face/spoke.

Of course the above trauma is easily identified and the wheel is scrapped or turned into hose reel
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

If I suspect a problem, I have my tire guy put the rim on his balance machine without a tire & spin it & use a chalk or a runout gauge to check it out.

I wash & inspect wheels EVERY time used.

Stock rims are very good on tolerances, others vary.

I have seen several thinspoke's crack (without a hit) . Old CCW centers crack (without a hit) , but the company is good with warranty, never saw c5z crack (without a hit), but I'm sure it's happened with a hit.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Tire machine and a dial indicator. Make sure both surfaces are clean before mouniting wheel on machine. Mount dial indicator and slowly spin by hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Best machine/method to verify wheel/rim is straight and true???............

Quick Reply: Best machine/method to verify wheel/rim is straight and true???............