Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Apr 30- May 1 - Who's In?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Watkins Glen Apr 30- May 1 - Who's In?

Hey everyone, well its that time of year for us Canadians to finally pull our cars out of storage, blow the dust off them and make our annual trip down to the Glen for the opening of our season. I think we have 10 cars coming down again this year, and will be fun as always. Who's gonna be there??

Not sure if anyone remembers but I was chasing a demon all season that made me feel like I was hitting the rev limiter at 5200rpm and tried everything possible to diagnose it to no avail, so I had a season of short shifting. Well, the last resort was to pull the motor and I found out it was the "new" reluctor wheel was too far forward on the crank.. brutal! Anyway, hope to finally get a good running car for the opener.

Steve

Last edited by GettReal; 04-02-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

with NASA right? i'm in
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
with NASA right? i'm in
Correct its a NASA / PDA event see you there

Bill?

Jim?

Jose?

Steve (codeblack)?

Mark?

Bob?

Keith?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

I'll be there Monday, maybe Tuesday
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent, Canuck roadtrip to the Glen. Let's hope for better weather than last year. Did not get the snorkel intake installed yet....

NASA runs a good track day. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm there! Leaving from Montreal, are we making some sort of convoy?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm bad luck. Last two years that I've gone it rained. I'm going
Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sebdavid
GTA folks usually run west around Buffalo and then east across the bottom of lake Ontario on Hwy 90. Expect you will come down the other side. We could try to meet at the Hwy 90 interstate off ramp before we get onto Hwy 14 South.

I am not coordinating our convoy - Mark or Steve is in charge. I just follow the herd...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I'll be there on the 27th and 28th and then the 30th followed by the 4th, 5th and 6th. Don't think I have the energy to do the whole 10 days from the 27th through the 6th.

Bill
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

I'll message you closer to the date, we typically leave Toronto area around noon and will be at 90 and 14 around 3:30-4:00 and we'll roll into WG around 5pm in time to check in and get ready for dinner... Homemade Baked Mac N' Cheese this year

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I think I'm bad luck. Last two years that I've gone it rained. I'm going
Its a crap shoot but typically get a good day and an iffy day. Will see you there.

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
GTA folks usually run west around Buffalo and then east across the bottom of lake Ontario on Hwy 90. Expect you will come down the other side. We could try to meet at the Hwy 90 interstate off ramp before we get onto Hwy 14 South.

I am not coordinating our convoy - Mark or Steve is in charge. I just follow the herd...
I trailer my car so I usually slow the pack down and yet they still let me lead

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I'll be there on the 27th and 28th and then the 30th followed by the 4th, 5th and 6th. Don't think I have the energy to do the whole 10 days from the 27th through the 6th.

Bill
Bill, now you're just braggin' see you there
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish I could make this one.... can't pull the two days out... next time!!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

can you PM me which hotel is nice/good and close to the track? I have never been there before and will be there Monday. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother in law wanted me to come up but I already have conflicting work schedules for those dates.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't wait!

Less than a week to go!!!

Mark
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

can you PM me which hotel is nice/good and close to the track? I have never been there before and will be there Monday. Thanks.
Just saw this now.. Sorry. We all stay at the Seneca Lodge. Its rustic and has character, not a high end place, but its super close to the track and has some good history, rooms are clean and beds are decent. We usually get campfires going and relax. If you don't end up staying there, you are more than welcome to stop by and join us Sun or Mon night.

See you all in a few days.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

nice meeting all you guys. Steve - hope the car is well or will be well shortly. its an awesome setup.

Bill - thanks for the advise on the lines. I need more study time! but first time out was very fun.

High def go pro camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFNWvYbGEw

video/data:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K22P7wdLq0w

some pics from today:

http://www.ponycars.net/glen43012.htm

Looking at the video, I think that car held me up about 1 second, so 2:10 seems feasible.

I should be able to get 2:08 next time with A6’s, hitting the lines better, less weight (pulling carpet soon, lightweight battery, and pass. Seat) and more aggressive alignment.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great pics and video. great place, a MUST do for any track enthusiast to "scratch" off their bucket list.

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen Apr 30- May 1 - Who's In?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great stuff!! Wish I could have made this one. Did you meet Seb?? I'm sure he wash pushin that C5 around the Glen pretty hard!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

nice meeting all you guys. Steve - hope the car is well or will be well shortly. its an awesome setup.

Bill - thanks for the advise on the lines. I need more study time! but first time out was very fun.

High def go pro camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFNWvYbGEw

video/data:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K22P7wdLq0w

some pics from today:

http://www.ponycars.net/glen43012.htm

Looking at the video, I think that car held me up about 1 second, so 2:10 seems feasible.

I should be able to get 2:08 next time with A6’s, hitting the lines better, less weight (pulling carpet soon, lightweight battery, and pass. Seat) and more aggressive alignment.
I see the oversteer in the Toe that you mentioned the other day. The line you were on is the aggressive race line that protects the inside and you probably could have braked more so so you could rotate the car into the hill and then get on the throttle. You also could have tried to enter a little further to the left. I coach students to place their left front tire on the left corner of the concrete. When I use that line I cut into the apex and in my old C5Z would be full power as I went by the apex. This would induce some oversteer to counteract the understeer and the car would sideways across and up the hill with the left wheels running to the left of the white marker near the edge of the pavement.

Next time you get to the Glen hopefully you will have some time to play around with the corners and see what works best for you. Your data logger should help you get a sense of the best line through a turn.

On the second lap in the video the Nissan driver took almost a perfect line coming out of the Bus Stop. I might have tried to get tot he yellow line on the right sooner and hold it longer but don't know if that is any faster than the line he took.

I modified this old HPDE Classroom White Paper to show what I mean.

I noticed you were downshifting going into the bus stop and then upshifting going down the hill into the chute. I don't bother to downshift to third going through the bus stop. Using 4th I pump the throttle a little as I get past the midway point to yaw the car to the spot where I want to exit and then as I exit and go around the carousel I just keep rolling into the power while sticking to the yellow line. If you slowly rock the steering wheel back and forth you can get a good feel of what the tires are doing as you pick up speed.

Your data showed you were running about 90 there. With good tires you should be able to gain about 5 mph in that area before the fronts start to wash out. Which if you are at the apex you are going to be heading in that direction anyways. Before you hit the trackout cone area you should be wide open going down hill into the chute.

I have made many runs through that area over the years and have seen many cars take the wider so called school line while others take the inner race line and gain several car lengths within a few seconds.

If you use 4th all the way through the bus stop you lose the hassle of the shifting and any possible time loss due to power not going to the ground while the clutch is in. You will be running the same or higher speed when you get to T6 at the bottom of the hill. Some people are working on keeping the car in 4th even for T6 and just taking the corner faster so they don't have to shift down, back up and then back down for the next turn.

It looks like you could gain a lot of time in the Esses. Try to keep as close to full throttle from T1 all the way to T5 as you can. If you have the rev limiter at the stock setting you should just reach the braking point for the Bus Stop as you hit the rev limiter (146mph). Basically, that section starting at T1 is treated as a straight with some slight curves which makes it a very long straight so you need to be wide open through the whole thing to cut time. Your video shows you spend around 25 seconds in that section of the track and that is one of the easier places to take a half second off your time.

Noticed you were making good use of the new rumble strips in the Bus Stop. The new layout should bring entry speeds up into the 90s for a lot of drivers (I am working on that).

Bill
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

what are the new rumble strips? Old ones were quite usable, new ones even more so?

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Apr 30- May 1 - Who's In?