Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roebling Road - noise level

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roebling Road - noise level

I want to try RRR with NASA in another week. However, I have heard that there is a 103 decible limit enforced at Roebling Road. I searched the RRR site and could not find anything to confirm this. Who knows the truth? How would you know about any race track noise control if it isn't post?, (or did I miss it somewhere). I tried to contact RR but have not heard back from them.

My concern is that I have borla straight pipes on the Z. I do have cats, and do not have headers but the car is louder than normal. Do you guys racing in Thunder install mufflers?

Any advice is appreciated. I know some of you must have done RRR events with headers, cats and straight pipes.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That kinda sucks about noise levels on a race track. Kinda crappy that the off road pipes arent legal off road.....

I too have the Borla pipes on my Z06, I would have no chance in hell to pass a Db meter test. My car is still loud 1/2 mile away.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran RRR last year in my ST2 car. I have stock headers, straight x pipe and catless catback on mine and I just put some turn-ins on the back of my exhaust and pointed them to the in-field. It worked for me. I would think if you got cats at all, you shouldn't have a problem. But they do inforce the 103 db rule as others have told me they've seen it done before.

Whatever you do... don't start your car until the designated time to do so in the early morning!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They do check noise levels at RRR and will give you the opportunity to quiet the car down. Of the handfull of times I've been there I can only recall 2 instances where cars were exceeding the noise level. On the most recent instance the driver just stayed out of the higher RPMs.

FWIW there is one guy I've seen out there running a C5 Z with stock manifolds, Cats and a Borla Stinger catback and has never had any issues with the DB restriction.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stangklrzo6
They do check noise levels at RRR and will give you the opportunity to quiet the car down. Of the handfull of times I've been there I can only recall 2 instances where cars were exceeding the noise level. On the most recent instance the driver just stayed out of the higher RPMs.

FWIW there is one guy I've seen out there running a C5 Z with stock manifolds, Cats and a Borla Stinger catback and has never had any issues with the DB restriction.
Yes they do, but they do alow a try at quieting and if your close a lot of drivers just point the exhaust toward the infield away from the sensor!.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone I know just lifts going by the sound booth.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

A friend had the Corsa Off road titanium and headers-no cats, put turn down extensions on pointed to the infield, like stated above, and had no problems. Next year he had super traps on and passed. 103 is a pretty high level, at Waterford Hills, in MI, its 75 at the wall. My old 64 with sidepipes would not pass so I would lift. However coming back through the esses it would still blow the meter.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Thanks for the input. Turn-downs are not an option with my Borla's. Guess I need to come up with an alternative solution. One thing for sure, I will know where I stand next weekend. I might need to consider installing the OEM set in the attic.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MYRX
Thanks for the input. Turn-downs are not an option with my Borla's. Guess I need to come up with an alternative solution. One thing for sure, I will know where I stand next weekend. I might need to consider installing the OEM set in the attic.
I think I remember someone saying in the past that they were able to shove a piece of pipe inside their Borlas to make a set of turn downs.
It may have been Jody??
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be ok. I ran my race car there with no issues. I have NO mufflers, just cats and stock manifold. Pipes point straight out the back.

I do have a set of turn downs in a box in case of emergency, but ran two races last time and no black flag.

Tim
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Thanks Tim, encouraging words as that is my identical set-up. I wasn't so worried about WOT on the front straight. Just the backfires/downshifts etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I think I remember someone saying in the past that they were able to shove a piece of pipe inside their Borlas to make a set of turn downs.
It may have been Jody??
No, it wasn't me.

I have straight pipes with no cats, and I passed, barely, but I passed. I was there in the fall of 2010 with some kind of historic club, and was I the only v8 there. At the B-B-Q Saturday evening, the man who monitors the sound equipment asked me if I was the one in the Vette. I said yes. He said I was barely under the limit, but legal. Keep in mind, that's with straight pipes and no cats, and no lift.

The next time I went to Roebling, I took some turndowns just in case, but it was never an issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And Jody's car is a lot louder than mine, I can't even hear my car running when I am behind him.

Downshifts are not a problem as you can run Roebling entirely in 4th. That's what I did in the race unless I was trying to pass someone.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Roebling Road - noise level

Quick Reply: Roebling Road - noise level