Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 mpsc question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default ZR1 mpsc question

I need a tire that I can drive to and from the track, and I am leaning towards the MPSC. I currently have NT05s but I seem to run them at the limit

I like the idea of having run flats on the street, so I am considering going to the ZR1 19/20 wheels. Question: will I see any noticeable performance difference between MPSCs on my stock c6z rims (18/19 non run flat) vs using ZR1 sizes run flat version.

I realize going to the ZR 1 size will be more expensive because I will need new rims, I am only trying to assess if there is any significant performance difference between the run flat and non run flats.

PS no need to go through the debate on whether a run flat is really required for street driving. I'm just looking for feed back on the performance implications of 18/19 non run flats vs 19/20 run flats.

Many thanks

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 04-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a little different than what you were looking at but have you considered picking up a pair of 18x12 rears and just running 18's f & r? If so you can run R compound Toyo R888's. These at least have a tread so you should be able to drive back and forth from the track with them plus the selection of Hossiers is much broader if you later decide to run them.

18's all around is what I'm doing on my Z w/ Z07 (so 19 & 20's) because the rubber selection is too limited. With 19/20's you are basically limited to PS2's which are great all around tires and last about 6-8 track days (but still $2k+ a set) or PSC's which from everyone that I have spoke to heat cycle out in after a few track days and at best are shot in 4 track days which at about $2200 a set is quite a bit of coin! Just something to think about....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Very good points. Guess i was trying to have my cake and eat it too. What sizes do you run and which rims would you suggest if I go this route?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I have not got them yet but have some Forgeline GA1R Open Lug wheels being made for me now. I'm going with 18x10 fronts and 18x13 rears and I'm planning on starting off with Toyo R888 in 295/30/18 front & 335/30/18 rears. Later when I figure out how to get some wheels to the track or buy a trailer lol I'll start running Hoosier's 285 or 295/30/18 front & 335/30/18's rear. I have to clear the CCB's on my car though which is why I had to go with the 10" front. If you have the normal Z06 brakes or even most BBK's you should be able to run a 18x11 front wheel with the 18x13 . This will allow you to run a 315 front & 345 rear Hoosier set up which I think is just about the norm for most people on the Z06. The 11" front you can also use with the 295 Toyo R888.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
I need a tire that I can drive to and from the track, and I am leaning towards the MPSC. I currently have NT05s but I seem to run them at the limit

I like the idea of having run flats on the street, so I am considering going to the ZR1 19/20 wheels. Question: will I see any noticeable performance difference between MPSCs on my stock c6z rims (18/19 non run flat) vs using ZR1 sizes run flat version.

I realize going to the ZR 1 size will be more expensive because I will need new rims, I am only trying to assess if there is any significant performance difference between the run flat and non run flats.

PS no need to go through the debate on whether a run flat is really required for street driving. I'm just looking for feed back on the performance implications of 18/19 non run flats vs 19/20 run flats.

Many thanks
only benefit that I know of is more space to put in a bigger brake package....like 380mm brembo's or zr1 carbon ceramics. This would make it a better track car.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

There has been some discussion of this over on the ZR1 board. Seems like you already pretty much know the deal. The Sport Cups are a a little more sticky than the PS2's but the 2's last at least twice as long and are definately a better all around tire. By going to 18's your tire options expand greatly. I currently run PS2's on stock rims for marginal track conditions, some tracking for practice and for street use and I have a set of 18's for Hoosiers. I run 315/30 on the front and 345/35 rear with the only issue being that I do rub the front brake ducts a little. Also it appears as if I rub the inside lip of my fender well just a tad. Im sure my ZR1 is slighty heavier on the nose than your car so you might not get that rub.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 mpsc question

Quick Reply: ZR1 mpsc question