Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans and Diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans and Diff fluid

I'll be putting in some fresh Amsoil Trans and Diff fluids a little later this year as its about that time to do so. I put some in December 2010 for the 2011 racing season... but I still had quite a bit left over that wasn't used. Its been stored in my garage since then.

Are these fluids still ok to use or is it like brake fluid that once you break the seal, you need to use it within a short reasonable amount of time? Still looks good, but wanted some opinions before I put it in the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I'll be putting in some fresh Amsoil Trans and Diff fluids a little later this year as its about that time to do so. I put some in December 2010 for the 2011 racing season... but I still had quite a bit left over that wasn't used. Its been stored in my garage since then.

Are these fluids still ok to use or is it like brake fluid that once you break the seal, you need to use it within a short reasonable amount of time? Still looks good, but wanted some opinions before I put it in the car.
I can't imagine it'd make any difference whether the container has been opened or not. Those fluids aren't hygroscopic like brake fluid.

I've got containers of diff, xmission fluid, and motor oil that have been opened, and I use those up before I open new ones.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

With gear oil at $15 a quart and trans fluid at $12 or thereabouts I'd sure as heck be using it. From what I've read on BITOG oils/lubes do degrade over time, but a year or two isn't a big deal.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Use them - any moisture will boil off with no ill effects (trans and diff are vented). Only thing with a lifespan once opened is brake fluid.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Use them - any moisture will boil off with no ill effects (trans and diff are vented). Only thing with a lifespan once opened is brake fluid.
You should be perfectly fine using them.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys... now to find some time to do it.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I don't think this is a problem and I do the same thing, particularly with the gallon jug of the Torque Drive.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Trans and Diff fluid

Quick Reply: Trans and Diff fluid