Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point harness in Corvette, normal or formula type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
sergeyk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 point harness in Corvette, normal or formula type?

I've read and seen few times that people attach use regular 6 point harness as formula type 6 point harness. Meaning that 2 sub-marine belts instead of going through the seat into floor, they go under legs to the side of the seats and attach to the same points as lap belts.
Is it safe to do so or it's better to buy real formula type harness or cut a hole in the seat for normal harness?

This is for HPDE only, not real racing...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
TB04TJ
Advanced

The Bey-Krause harness mounts are like you described where you actually sit on the sub belt. I have the BK mounts and while they aren't the most comfortable, I don't think that they are unsafe. My use is strictly DE use. If you were racing, you would have to comply with your sanctioning body's rules and they would certainly not allow the BK type mounting.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM
sergeyk
Racer

Originally Posted by TB04TJ
The Bey-Krause harness mounts are like you described where you actually sit on the sub belt. I have the BK mounts and while they aren't the most comfortable, I don't think that they are unsafe. My use is strictly DE use. If you were racing, you would have to comply with your sanctioning body's rules and they would certainly not allow the BK type mounting.
What type of 6pt harness do you use?

Formula type:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000371a#

Regular type:
http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...aint-belt.html
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Run your TWO sub belts between the seat back and the seat bottom. Sit on the belts then up into the cam lock

You use the TWO sub belts so your dont be come a soprano with ONE sub belt and squish the family jewels
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
TB04TJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by sergeyk
Regular
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry... does this setup allow you to use the 6 point harness in a standard seat?? This is again only for HPDE.. thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
sorry... does this setup allow you to use the 6 point harness in a standard seat?? This is again only for HPDE.. thanks.
Not quite.

also the shoulder harness belts must RUN THROUGH the seat back, not AROUND the seat back.

SO with a C6 the seat back must be modified to accommodate the shoulder harness THROUGH not around the seat back

Some clubs, PCA for example will only allow harness use on Seats designed and properly mounted for harness

Get notified of new replies

To 6 point harness in Corvette, normal or formula type?

Quick Reply: 6 point harness in Corvette, normal or formula type?