Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY write up for front wheel bearing?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default DIY write up for front wheel bearing?

Couldn't find one last nite. Only thing I am not sure about is the ball joint. Someone mentioned a special separation tool and others mentioned a "pickle fork". Father-in-law gave me a fork but I have never used it. Do I just remove the nut and hammer it apart? Anything else I should know? Bearing is SKF if that matters.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Couldn't find one last nite. Only thing I am not sure about is the ball joint. Someone mentioned a special separation tool and others mentioned a "pickle fork". Father-in-law gave me a fork but I have never used it. Do I just remove the nut and hammer it apart? Anything else I should know? Bearing is SKF if that matters.
Don't use the pickle fork, it will probably tear the rubber boot around the ball joint.

Loosen the nut on top of the ball joint and tap the side of the lower A arm. That shock will sometimes loosen the ball joint.

If that doesn't work, put a jack under the bearing and jack up on it while you tap the side of the lower a arm. The jack is putting pressure on the spindle, trying to raise it, while the spring is putting pressure on the lower control arm trying to push it down. If it doesn't let go easily, just tap a little harder and it'll let go.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Falcon
Don't use the pickle fork, it will probably tear the rubber boot around the ball joint.

Loosen the nut on top of the ball joint and tap the side of the lower A arm. That shock will sometimes loosen the ball joint.

If that doesn't work, put a jack under the bearing and jack up on it while you tap the side of the lower a arm. The jack is putting pressure on the spindle, trying to raise it, while the spring is putting pressure on the lower control arm trying to push it down. If it doesn't let go easily, just tap a little harder and it'll let go.

I ran into issues with the torx bolts on the back side of the damn thing...really need an impact wrench as they are not really deep and hard to get them loose ....just FYI before you get into it
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I did a video for the rear, which is pretty much same procedure as front.

Just click the link below in my sig.

Look at "rear knuckle", "rear suspension" and "longer lugs".

I wish they were numbered, but there is no system to do that.

No pickle forks.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Well after a little hammering and jacking, the ball joint came loose. The two jaw puller Froggy used would have been a little easier probably, but don't have one. Seems like a lot of work to get to 1 bolt. Kind of like crank bolt and steering rack issue. Torx bolts came out extremely easy, almost felt like they were too easy. I hope that wasn't was make the bearing feel loose. SKF has a plastic ring on the back that holds the speed sensor connector. I assume I remove that and use the stock mounting bracket. Only found 1 pic of the SKF installed and it looked like it had a new bracket that was similar to stock.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Well after a little hammering and jacking, the ball joint came loose. The two jaw puller Froggy used would have been a little easier probably, but don't have one. Seems like a lot of work to get to 1 bolt. Kind of like crank bolt and steering rack issue. Torx bolts came out extremely easy, almost felt like they were too easy. I hope that wasn't was make the bearing feel loose. SKF has a plastic ring on the back that holds the speed sensor connector. I assume I remove that and use the stock mounting bracket. Only found 1 pic of the SKF installed and it looked like it had a new bracket that was similar to stock.
Yea, the 2 jaw puller is what I use and is easiest, but I figured you didn't have one so I suggested what to do with minimum tools.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

The two jaw puller sits, for years, in my misc. tool draw. Then ya need it.

Glad you got it off.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Torx bolts came out extremely easy, almost felt like they were too easy.
you suck

Glad you had a better experience than I did...I replaced mine with Timkne and much like the SKF they were a direct swap...

Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

This may help! JD
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-tutorial.html
Note: I just took the entire suspension off of my and the best investment I made was buying the Kent-Moore ball joint tool J-42118-b it is the GM recommended tool for removing the ball joints and they all came off. The bottoms took a little heat but that was all. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 04-07-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Ouch, the only place I didn't look - C6 tech. Would have helped a lot. I have the coilovers on the front, but using Falcon's jack and hammer method, I got mine to drop off. Looking at your thread reminds me I have the Quantum spindle ducts that I never got around to installing. What a perfect opportunity wasted. All in all in came out about as well as could be expected. Ball joint nut came off easily, torx bolts come out easily. Ball joint, I guess was as easy as can be expected. I didn't realize when jacking the spindle up, it had lifted off the jack stand, so when it broke loose car fell bout 1/2" but scared the crap out of me. Went for a test drive and all is good. The roar is gone. There was only 1/4" play in the 12 to 6 rocking so I wasn't really sure it was bad. At least now, push come to shove, I could change one at the track and this will show up in search. I picked up a new PTC front bearing for $50 so I have a spare. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Ouch, the only place I didn't look - C6 tech. Would have helped a lot. I have the coilovers on the front, but using Falcon's jack and hammer method, I got mine to drop off. Looking at your thread reminds me I have the Quantum spindle ducts that I never got around to installing. What a perfect opportunity wasted. All in all in came out about as well as could be expected. Ball joint nut came off easily, torx bolts come out easily. Ball joint, I guess was as easy as can be expected. I didn't realize when jacking the spindle up, it had lifted off the jack stand, so when it broke loose car fell bout 1/2" but scared the crap out of me. Went for a test drive and all is good. The roar is gone. There was only 1/4" play in the 12 to 6 rocking so I wasn't really sure it was bad. At least now, push come to shove, I could change one at the track and this will show up in search. I picked up a new PTC front bearing for $50 so I have a spare. Thanks for all the help.
1/4 inch is a LOT. Should be zero.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY write up for front wheel bearing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY write up for front wheel bearing?