Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame issues need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frame issues need opinions

Need opinions. A brief background:

When we began our construction on the 1984 chassis, we took the time to insure the frame was right. I did the FSM check. That indicated the frame was it was a little out of whack. No surprise with a C4.

This was the condition it went to the shop in, the chalk lines are the FMS points.

A $300.00 expense was reasonable to insure that the frame had no dramatic problems. This was done on a seemingly sophisticated machine at a body shop owned by a major Fords dealership in Cumming Ga. Lasers, computers... looked like the right stuff. It was pronounced “Good”. No damage bad enough to warrant re-welds.

We wanted a safe car, and had a 6 point roll cage installed by a professional SFI certified guy with a long history of constructions [ mostly Drag stuff and no Corvettes but a good friend of one our group ] . So a lot of very “hot” welds at a lot of crucial places on a corvette where made [ door pillars and at the rear section support]

When the car was finished, the left rear tire was ¾” further “inboard” than the right [ or the opposite? ]. This was where I thought it was before [ to my eye and paper work] ...........................

..............“ It is a visual thing..” “ Body panels not perfect..” ... “ It’s a 27 year old car!” .... “All Corvettes vary, it’s not a Porsche, you know” .......... That was the advice.

Base alignment was done and the Tech. Pronounced it fine [ a Famous Chev. owned alignment shop].

Well, whatever “fine” means the adjustments left to right are drastically different in camber and caster shims. [ again with the “ All Corvettes vary, it’s not a Porsche you know”.]

1st time out on the track last month, and the thing was squirrely at speed. Granted it needed a lot twitching to get the suspension adjusted. And it did improve a great deal.... And granted we are green as the new grass to this. [ you can have too much Hp when you’re a squid ].

We have time to think about this again because we have also found out a High Volume Oil pump, while great at the drag strip is not so good when you suck all the oil out of your pan, we have a lot of time on our hands while I rebuild the motor [ main bearing].

So the two questions I need expert opinions on... or at least you all’s?

#1 Could the welding of the Roll Cage have caused the frame to “ relax” back to it’s “bent position” ?

And

#2 How big a deal is this??? Should I cut it all loose, and straighten, and re-weld??

I think so, but three out of four folks involved think not.

It is a visual thing..” “ Body panels not perfect..” ... “ It’s a 27 year old car!” .... “All Corvettes vary, it’s not a Porsche, you know”

But then none of us really know what we are doing....

Planning on #2 unless I am worried for nothing. Anyone know anyone honest in the area of Road Atlanta that does frame work and will work with us on the problem?

Thanks

TJM
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When good race shops weld in a cage the frame is secured to a huge perfectly flat plate to take out any twists that are usually present in most cars even if new.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:07 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
When good race shops weld in a cage the frame is secured to a huge perfectly flat plate to take out any twists that are usually present in most cars even if new.

Good information. Unfortunately for me, possibly a year late, and no he did not?

Not sure what Drag race guys do, but no plate or jig in sight.

TJM
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
Good information. Unfortunately for me, possibly a year late, and no he did not?

Not sure what Drag race guys do, but no plate or jig in sight.

TJM
doubt it matters to drag race guys for the most part.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame issues need opinions

Quick Reply: Frame issues need opinions