Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Bilstein question

Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Lost Luggage
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Bilstein question

Bilstein question?
So I have a 89 FX3 with Z51 and I most likely will be ditching the FX3 shocks for a regular shock setup due to high cost of repair...I already know that a normal c4 shocks will bolt on from doing a search I also know that since my car was a FX3 Z51 that the spring rate is slightly lighter than a full out Z51...so my question is I have been looking at non FX3 Bilsteins and it looks like they have a few their "HD Bilstein" or the "HD Z51 Bilstein" or the "Sport Bilstien" and not sure what my best bet is to go with or what is the exact difference is?

Was also thinking of Bilsteins in the rear and adjustable Koni's in the front due to there ease of adjustability and flexibility(for autox)...where if I put koni's the rear they would have to be taken off to adjust and would be a pain and I probably would never adjust the rears for that reason lol...or is that just a bad idea mis matching shocks front to back like that?

I do plan on mostly spirited driving/auto cross as to the type of driving

Would appreciate any advice
Old 04-08-2012, 03:01 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You need to look at the dyno sheets for the different shocks. Most likely the difference is in the rebound numbers.

Bilstein loves huge rebound numbers. Various Corvette engineers say they love them a little too much. I'm not qualified to judge here.

Usually Bisltein can rebuild your shocks for a lot less money than new ones cost. Plus you can get any number of different maps for you FX3 controller.

Here's the current Bilstein price list. Prices seem very reasonable to me.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

If you go with adjustable shocks, I'd look no further than the QA-1, as you can adjust them on the car. Other wise, I'd go with VBandP's Xtreme Bilsteins if you want the best handling for autocross, their sport shocks are nice for track and street use. The Bilsteins are supposedly tuned to their specs (give VBandP a call and ask for Gary for more info). I have the sport shocks and question if I should have gone with the xtremes...but I plan on coilovers this summer anyway for even more fun at the autocross!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I debated between the HD and Z51 for mine and really wish I would have went with the Z51's. Or the extreme's! Actually I should have just sent them in to be re-valved, which is what I plan to do soon. For you the Z51 or extreme should be fine if you just want an off the shelf non-specific shock.

For street driving an adjustable would be more worth it in the rear, since ride quality is more affected there.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Bilstein question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Bilstein question