Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cramming track tires inside your car before HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cramming track tires inside your car before HPDE

Can anyone here fit a full set of tires/wheels in your car to take to a HPDE? I'd love to know if this works so I could avoid dealing with a trailer. I saw a guy with a BMW mini do it last weekend, but those are obviously smaller tires. He just pulled them out of trash bags to keep the car clean. I have a grand sport, so my tires are 18" 275 in front and 19" 325 in back. Hardly a BMW mini sized tire.

If you can do it or have seen someone, would love to see a picture or describe how to get them in, while having a little room left over for a few tools, cooler, etc... If this works, I would be more prone to buy dedicated track tires/wheels.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

its been done with a c6, Im just having a hard time finding the photos someone posted here a while back.

keep searching - theyre hidden somewhere on this site!

heres one thread on it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...the-z06-2.html

Last edited by el es tu; 04-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by el es tu
its been done with a c6, Im just having a hard time finding the photos someone posted here a while back.

keep searching - theyre hidden somewhere on this site!

heres one thread on it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...the-z06-2.html
yeah I think I remember seeing a photo of it too. Ran a search but can't seem to find anything. That link is interesting but I thought someone else has put them in different than what he described.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got a trailer.. the amount of extra stuff I can now bring while getting more interior space in the car is well worth it. More tools, chairs, fan, parts, etc.. all seems like a good trade off to me.

Although, I like the roof rack in the other thread!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bags142
I just got a trailer.. the amount of extra stuff I can now bring while getting more interior space in the car is well worth it. More tools, chairs, fan, parts, etc.. all seems like a good trade off to me.

Although, I like the roof rack in the other thread!
Can you give details on the trailer/hitch set up you went with?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can do 295s and 255s in my c5 frc.

my trunk is open a couple inches tho.

one 295 front seat belted in, one 295 in the depression of the trunk on an angle pointing to the front of the car, and the two 255s easily fit behind the seats on the deck.

Last edited by Alludc; 04-09-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
i can do 295s and 255s in my c5 frc.
You should snap a few pictures next time you load up.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just came across this the other day too... i mnot sure how I feel about it. thats a lotta weight for the minimally reinforced roof

Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Doesn't look safe to me. I'd love to see pictures of someone who crammed all the tires in the car. If I can't find something, I may just have to bit the bullet eventually and get a trailer, but I'd rather not.

just came across this the other day too... i mnot sure how I feel about it. thats a lotta weight for the minimally reinforced roof

Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Socalrebell
Intermediate

I ran with a guy in the OTC (Open Track Challenge) west coast version of 1 Lap of America, we ran 7 track in 7 days and did a lot of traveling. My buddy in a Porsche 911 had that roof rack and did not have one incident with it.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt having all the tires would work out very well if you get into an accident on the street.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I doubt having all the tires would work out very well if you get into an accident on the street.
Agreed. I think between having them on a trailer, inside car, or on the roof, having them on the roof might actually be the most dangerous. They are going to fly right in to whatever you hit. Hello umbrella insurance policy.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tire trailers are nice also, because you can bring tires and tools and not need to much space to keep the trailer

Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Tire trailers are nice also, because you can bring tires and tools and not need to much space to keep the trailer

Can you give me the details on your trailer setup? Is that a northern tool trailer?

Last edited by MarkDFW; 04-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Agreed. I think between having them on a trailer, inside car, or on the roof, having them on the roof might actually be the most dangerous. They are going to fly right in to whatever you hit. Hello umbrella insurance policy.
In the car would worry me for my personal protection. Before I got tool / 3 gang boxes really I was terrified. I had tools, generators, compressor, and all types of stuff in the Excursion. I was in a SUV that rolled three times towing a race boat and it emptied most the entire contents on the road along with me!

I had a tire trailer and it was great.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you give details on the trailer/hitch set up you went with?

Curt hitch and a 4x6 trailer from northern tool. The trailer can also be had from tractor supply.

Hitch was $160, ball was $7, wiring harness was $27, trailer was $380 on sale, tool box was $55, and then I bought a 15ft cable for the tires $10. I spent more than I wanted, but I got exactly what I want/need

The hitch was not that bad to install. I just had to drill the mounting bolts and another 1 1/8 inch hole in the bumper frame to get the bolts in there. Their are slots in the frame rails so no need to make anymore holes.'

Hardest part was getting hitch centered/straight. I was doing it by myself so that took about 40 mon using a jack to support it and then getting everything straight.

The other b*tch was the wiring harness. In my c5 the adapter need a 12vdc pwr source. After a few attempts to find a good source in the back of the car I finally gave up and ran a wire from the fuse box to the back of the car.

**edit to normal size pic ..lol** And don't be fooled by the strap on the tool box.. it is bolted to the trailer

Last edited by bags142; 04-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you give me the details on your trailer setup? Is that a northern tool trailer?
Yes its an easy time trailer, that I had a tire rack welded for me, and added a lockable tool box. As mentioned above I spent more then I expected but it turned out great. I have used it many times and I dont even notice thats its behind me. When at the track its nice to have all my tools etc with me.

Get notified of new replies

To Cramming track tires inside your car before HPDE

Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ive been thinking about it and I believe it was 2 laying flat in the rear, and then 2 side by side in the front passenger seat

make sure to use some towels to prevent leaving marks all over the interior

Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
dlebreton
Cruising

On my C5 coupe, I could fit 1 17" and 18" wheels in the rear and the rest side by side on the stock front seat. That was before I installed a harness bar and sparco seats.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
justkickin
Instructor

In my C5Z I got two 295 and two 255's. Actually put the 295's in the passenger seat. Trick was to tilt one so that it sits inside the first one. That way the door closes without hitting anything. In the rear, the one visible through the rear window (arrow pointing at it in pic 3) is propped on the separator deck and the first is in the slanted tub. Still had plenty of room for tools in the trunk (not visible). Had no problem driving. Next time though I will remember to bring my tire covers like in the above post.

Granted, no wheels in this set, but even with wheels they would fit no problem.

Quick Reply: Cramming track tires inside your car before HPDE