Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get the billet aluminum pulley with Turn One power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
stas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get the billet aluminum pulley with Turn One power steering pump?

Hi, as the title states, I am planning to get a Turn One power steering pump and I'm wondering if I should also opt for the billet aluminum pulley ($74) that complements it. The car is a '01 Z06 and has the plastic pulley. I could reuse the stock pulley since I don't plan to replace my steering pump very often after the upgrade or get the metal LS2 pulley which I heard is considerably heavier. My main concerns are strength of the pulley and weight.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I did. It makes installation easier and I wasn't able to get the old pulley off without destroying it. Plus as soon as you say that you're not going to take it off again, you will.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I did. It makes installation easier and I wasn't able to get the old pulley off without destroying it. Plus as soon as you say that you're not going to take it off again, you will.
I agree 100% with Scooter. You will not get the old plastic one off without breaking it and the billett pulley from Turn One makes the reinstall very easy.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, installation easier, and it looks WAY better! ;-)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm about to do this (have the new pulley). Should I not bother trying to get the old pulley off gracefully and just cut the **** off?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I will go with no. Granted I didn't do the switch but my shop did. Turn one told me its more use for people that switch the pumps often.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Yep, installation easier, and it looks WAY better! ;-)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I'm about to do this (have the new pulley). Should I not bother trying to get the old pulley off gracefully and just cut the **** off?
Just use a big screwdriver behind the pulley, lean on it and break a section or two off. Only need enough to be able to get a socket on the mounting bolts, it's easy.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
The easiest way to get the pump out of the car is to take the pump and bracket off as one piece. You'll have to loosen/remove the bracket that holds the brake line block on so you can push that forward. I zip-tied it to the radiator hose to hold it in place after I got the bracket out. Then loosen all of the bolts that hold the bracket to the head and take the pump/bracket out. After trying unsuccessfully to remove the pulley from the pump on the bench, I smacked it with a hammer and punched a hole it in. You need to get the bolts out from behind the pulley and there's no way to do it with the pulley in place. That's the great thing about the TurnOne pulley is that it has holes so you can get to those bolts.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
stas
Advanced

Default Re:

Thanks for the replies folks. I don't know about the ease of installation aspect though, I already replaced the pump once (a couple of seasons ago) and I just took out the entire bracket as said above. I used a pulley puller and removed the stock pulley with no issues, will have to do it again to remove my stock pump.. According to Turn One, the stock pulley weighs in at .7944 lb vs. .925 lb for their billet unit. That's not much of a weight gain for the reliability.. I think the LS2 is way heavier. Question is still whether I actually need it, provided I can remove the plastic one with no issues.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I have this setup. Plus, I have the broken OEM one, too.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I also use the turn one pump/pulley. On another car I've used a krc pump and the one thing I like about those (that I wish turn one did) is that they use a splined shaft so the pulley is easily removable. When I got my turn one setup a few years ago I asked about that and they didn't have anything to say. It makes things a whole lot easier.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM
TB04TJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by stas
provided I can remove the plastic one with no issues.
From personal experience, the odds of removing the plastic pulley in one piece are slim. I would be prepared to replace the pulley. The main problem is that the flange on the plastic breaks when you try to remove it, even when using the correct tools.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get the billet aluminum pulley with Turn One power steering pump?

Quick Reply: Should I get the billet aluminum pulley with Turn One power steering pump?