Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best communication device for instructing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default best communication device for instructing

NASA has Taken over our local MPRA races and HPDE days at Miller Motorsports Park. Until now I have only instructed for the PCA which had their own we could use, but trying to maximize track time with the new build on the C5Z without costly track fees I'm going to do the NASA HPDE days also. What do you other instructors use and where is the best place to buy?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a chatterbox SA device. It works great for me. the passenger slips the boom mic/earpiece into their helmet and over their ear. a coiled extension cord connects to me.
I got mine from ogracing
http://www.ogracing.com/chatterbox-t...n-car-intercom

Last edited by johninar; 04-12-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Chatterbox here.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Maynor29
Instructor

Chatterbox as well but not thrilled with it either. Especially in loud cars. Haven't found an ideal solution yet so the hunt continues.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor29
Chatterbox as well but not thrilled with it either. Especially in loud cars. Haven't found an ideal solution yet so the hunt continues.
Amplifier available at Radio Shack for $15.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Maynor29
Instructor

Actually, it amplifies the additional noise just fine. What it needs is more background noise suppression/cancellation to be useful.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

well thanks for the input guys, I just ordered the chatterbox from ogracing needed something by the 20th
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by z06801
well thanks for the input guys, I just ordered the chatterbox from ogracing needed something by the 20th
It will be fine for most HPDE cars. Only time I had a noise issue was instructing in an original shelby gt350 with the exhaust right next to me.

I use a closed face helmet and putting the shield down helps attenuate the noise from my side.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chatter box for me as well. By far its the most widely used communicator. It helps if you keep microphone tucked inside helmet as close to mouth as possible.. if open face just keep as close as possible.

Couple of tips.
Zip tie the little foam mike covers on. They always pop off. I just put the smallest zip ties on I had.
Always have student pull it out of his helmet by the microphone not the wire going into the earpiece. I have had mine rip out or develop a short.
One good thing about the Chatterbox is that you can unscrew and re-solder the wires on if it happens. I have done that a couple times and now have added a bit of hot glue inside the earpiece which has helped ... But now I always remind them to pull from the microphone stem.

Chatterbox with 2 student headsets and 1 extension is what I have. I did not want anything mounted to my helmet or have earpiece fixed to helmet.

Last edited by RaleighSS; 04-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have approx 45 instructors in my group. I just equipped them all with chatterboxes. We got a great deal from a sponsor. You can also get a hybrid cable that will go right into your road race helmet so you don't have to install the second microphone if your also a road racer.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

a 14" billy club those helmets are a bit thick!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canam
I have approx 45 instructors in my group. I just equipped them all with chatterboxes. We got a great deal from a sponsor. You can also get a hybrid cable that will go right into your road race helmet so you don't have to install the second microphone if your also a road racer.
Where do you get the hybrid cable from? I have a mic/ear bud hook up installed in my helmet already so would like to use that with the chatterbox.

I'd also like to order the student chatterbox kit, can you help out a fellow canadian
Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always have student pull it out of his helmet by the microphone not the wire going into the earpiece. I have had mine rip out or develop a short.

Also zip tie the cable to the mike boom.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fist
Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Canam
Pro

Originally Posted by GettReal
Where do you get the hybrid cable from? I have a mic/ear bud hook up installed in my helmet already so would like to use that with the chatterbox.

I'd also like to order the student chatterbox kit, can you help out a fellow canadian
Call up Racing radios in Montreal. He will make you one up and can deliver it to you at the track (Mosport).
Anybody who carries Chatterboxes can get you the student kit. Its only around 20 bucks. We got all our stuff from Speedmerchants in Ottawa. They have them in stock.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
Originally Posted by John Shiels
Fist
a instructors hand brake

thanks for all the good tips everybody I do have to use my race helmet.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
I've only had one student so far where I've needed that teaching tool

The next student that decides they need to keep their hand on the shifter too long is gonna get a smack though!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Chatter box for me as well. By far its the most widely used communicator. It helps if you keep microphone tucked inside helmet as close to mouth as possible.. if open face just keep as close as possible.

Couple of tips.
Zip tie the little foam mike covers on. They always pop off. I just put the smallest zip ties on I had.
One good thing about the Chatterbox is that you can unscrew and re-solder the wires on if it happens. I have done that a couple times and now have added a bit of hot glue inside the earpiece which has helped ... But now I always remind them to pull from the microphone stem.

Chatterbox with 2 student headsets and 1 extension is what I have. I did not want anything mounted to my helmet or have earpiece fixed to helmet.
When you get the Chatterbox take the foam piece off and notice the shape of the end of the mic boom, the open side is the side that should be near the person's mouth, when a student puts the headset on make sure the open end of the mic is right in front of their mouth and close to it (the closer the better to reduce the volume of wind noise). Zip tie the foam piece on the boom and also use a zip tie to add a strain relief to the wire coming out of the ear piece. Just make a little loop and then zip tie the wire to the boom near the ear piece. That way if they grab the wire they are pulling on the zip tie and not the spot where the wire goes into the headset.

Since I don't race I use the in helmet setup with two ear pieces velcroed near the chin strap mounts and the mike velcroed right in front of my mouth. Works great in a tight helmet that keeps the noise from coming up between your ears and the ear pieces. I imagine it would be really good with one of those helmets designed for race communications with the inserts that cup your ears to filter out outside noise. This also cuts down on wiring around your head since all the wiring to your mic and ear pieces is inside the helmet and out of the way. I mount my chatterbox to the left side of my helmet and that gives plenty of slack for the student. If I give rides the wires are a little tighter since they have to go around my body to the front or the rear but I find that is better than distracting the student with the wires when they are driving. Before we go out on track I make sure the wires are free and clear of the students arms and the shifter.

Bill
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

I picked up the full face helmet kit from chatterbox. the glue for the velcro pads never stick to the helmet and the ear pieces fall off. Pain in the azz. was thinking of cutting the wires and installing a female jack plug then buying a set of ear buds and plug them in. has anyone tried this.

Get notified of new replies

To best communication device for instructing

Quick Reply: best communication device for instructing