Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed the best HD in-car video camera I've seen. [Video]

Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Just installed the best HD in-car video camera I've seen. [Video]

After watching a few HD videos from some of my GrandAm racing friends, I had a Smartycam installed in my T1/ST2 car as this is what they are using.

The quality and sound are great. The camera activates when the car is started. No more worrying batteries, no more figuring out if the camera is actually on, or in the right mode -- It's dummy proof!

This is one of the first times I've been back in the car since my eye surgeries and I'm the first to admit my driving is not as crisp as it usually is, but I felt good. Seat time and rhythm are priceless. I was 9 seconds off my usual pace in cool weather and last year's tires. Looking forward to racing again.

As you can see in the video, you can overlay data as well.

I have another one ordered to install in the Beast. These cameras are very portable and have all the 'brains' in the camera as one piece so no need for external boxes. I'm having my Miata hard wired as well, as the cameras easily mount/dismount.

Mike
Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Very nice Mike. I've been eyeing those for a while. My understanding is that you still need something else if you actually want data acquisition though, right?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great vid, nice data overlay. Since you are buying several I will just use one of yours every time I am up there, cool? Please send me the appropriate mount.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One note, the Smarty cam is no where near HD quality at only 720x400 recording resolution. I recently sold mine as I no longer needed the data overlay functionality but they are great cameras otherwise.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Very nice Mike. I've been eyeing those for a while. My understanding is that you still need something else if you actually want data acquisition though, right?
Sean,

If your speaking about MoTec, Bosch or the limited systems like Traqmate and Aim then yes. My setup you see here in the C5 is mated with GPS which gives track layout and speeds. In my C6R, it will be tied in with the MoTec.

Mike
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Rob31; 04-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clear picture but the video looks kind of notchy to me. Like it's 25 frames per second instead of 30.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Clear picture but the video looks kind of notchy to me. Like it's 25 frames per second instead of 30.
Movies are only 24 frames/sec. I seriously doubt you can see the difference between 25 and 30.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by geerookie
Movies are only 24 frames/sec. I seriously doubt you can see the difference between 25 and 30.
I have two different point and shoot cameras that both record video at 640x480. The specifications on one says it shoots at 25 frames per second in MPEG and the other says it shoots at 30 FPS in AVI. I can see a difference in the smoothness between them while the pictures are both clear.

Look at his video, focus on the track, and tell me it doesn't look notchy to you.

Last edited by Han Solo; 04-15-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Look at his video, focus on the track, and tell me it doesn't look notchy to you.
Could that have anything to do with how Youtube compresses it? When I play it on my home computer, it's much smoother and a heck of a lot crisper.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Great vid, nice data overlay. Since you are buying several I will just use one of yours every time I am up there, cool? Please send me the appropriate mount.

My pleasure however the mounts can be tricky on a car like yours. Please ship car to me and I will keep you posted. I've been meaning to take some horticulture footage.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Could that have anything to do with how Youtube compresses it? When I play it on my home computer, it's much smoother and a heck of a lot crisper.
It very well could. I have noticed that as well on some of mine. rendering software and different formats can induce some degree of shudder or notchyness too. Videos always look better right off the camera than they do after editing and rendering.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I've been meaning to take some horticulture footage.

Will get the car to you early, before Tractor Attack '012.

You should be able to install the camera mount near the tip of the forks;
Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will get the car to you early, before Tractor Attack '012.

You should be able to install the camera mount near the tip of the forks;
Oh Man, I don't have a drivetrain in my vette yet and still have to get race wheels and tires. You guys are killing me.

After watching Mike's video, I remember why Autobahn is more fun than Road America (all the turns).

I will sign up tomorrow just so I can come and watch you two characters. (I mean Gentlemen)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yooper
Oh Man, I don't have a drivetrain in my vette yet and still have to get race wheels and tires. You guys are killing me.

After watching Mike's video, I remember why Autobahn is more fun than Road America (all the turns).

I will sign up tomorrow just so I can come and watch you two characters. (I mean Gentlemen)
Bill, hopefully you get the Vette ready in time, otherwise bring the Caddy! Will you be at Road America this year?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, hopefully you get the Vette ready in time, otherwise bring the Caddy! Will you be at Road America this year?
Yes, hope to make it for GT Track Days. I need to find someone else to man my camera as my Brother has to work those days.

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed the best HD in-car video camera I've seen. [Video]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed the best HD in-car video camera I've seen. [Video]