Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to move to a race tire.. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Want to move to a race tire.. need help.

I'm have a C6 and I'm currently running 265x35x18 in front and 305x30x19 in the rear. I want to move into a race tire for track days. I really feel like I'm at the limit of what these RE-11s will do. For instance I was 4th in my run group yesterday at Buttonwillow 3 seconds behind first. First, second and third were all on race tires. I was the only Vette in the group and had HP on the straights but had the car pushed pretty much as hard as I could (with the curent tires in the corners). I have to believe race tires are worth 3 seconds on a track this size.

My question.. the only tires I can find in this size is the Toyo Proxy 888 which I heard a lot of guys telling me how much better the Nitto NT-01 is. The nitto only comes in 18s. I'd really like to keep 18/19 as I want to use my current wheels for racing and get a new set for street (and use the RE-11s on the new set).

Does anyone have a suggestion on a race tire brand + size I can use with an 18/19 setup for the track OR am I wanting too much and just simply need to go to 18/18 for the track OR can someone chime in on whether or not the 888 is better then the RE-11 and by how much?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

I'll try and sum up what I've read and the little experience I have on race tires.

The general concensus is go with 18/18 as you have many more choices in tires. If you keep the front/back ratio the same as far as overall diameter of wheel/tire, you can keep the AH/TC on. If you run more of a square setup, you'll need to turn it off. I currently run it completely off and use an 18/18 setup.

The best tire as for time seems to be the Hoosier A6, but they don't last as long and will heat cycle out. The next seems to be the Kumho V710, concensus says lasts longer, stays consistant from beginning to end. Can run them until you cord them but performace drops off. Next is the Hoosier R6, lots of differeing opionions on this tire. Lasts a good while, will likely run until corded but I have read some hate this tire as it doesn't give you consistant performance from session to session and some even say within a session and lap to lap.

I just went to an R6 last week for the very first time. Had a set that came with the car so figured I'd use them. I knocked off 3.5 seconds on a 1.7 mile course. They were NIGHT and DAY different to a street tire. A6s will supposedly knock off another couple of seconds from there.

I will probably try the A6 and Kumhos once the R6s are gone. One the other hand, I wouldn't mind trying scrubs at 100 bucks a tire either.

Jay
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

For track days, the R6 is hands down the best tire. For time trials, the A6. They are best used for short duration work. The R6's of alignment is right and pressures managed properly will perform excellently, and will last a surprising amount of time. When they feel like they are not holding anymore, they are either corded, or about to. For corvettes, they work optimally at pressures around 35 to 36 psi. That is where you want them when they are at temp. This usually means starting them at upper 20's before you go out on track. Jerry
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At the risk of slightly hijacking this thread...

Originally Posted by jstout
For track days, the R6 is hands down the best tire. For time trials, the A6. They are best used for short duration work. The R6's of alignment is right and pressures managed properly will perform excellently, and will last a surprising amount of time. When they feel like they are not holding anymore, they are either corded, or about to. For corvettes, they work optimally at pressures around 35 to 36 psi. That is where you want them when they are at temp. This usually means starting them at upper 20's before you go out on track. Jerry
A guy at the track this weekend said he had a line on 'qualifying used' R6's for a decent price. This would be for wheel to wheel club road racing - thoughts?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The R6 comes in these sizes (closest to what I have/want).

315/30ZR19 anyone know if I can fit a 315 on a C6? I have 305 now.

275/35ZR18 again, anyone know if I can fit a 275? I have 265 now.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to move to a race tire.. need help.

Quick Reply: Want to move to a race tire.. need help.