Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get my Koni shocks shortened

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Should I get my Koni shocks shortened

I have a 2002 Z06 that I autox in SSM class. The car currently is running VBP Sport leaf springs and Pfadt sport shocks. It has been lowered and corner balanced. I just picked up a set of Koni shocks to swap in, but wondered if I should send them out to be shortened before they go on due to the lowering?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 AM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, how low can you go before you need shortening?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I've got a set of steel body double adjustables and there isn't much travel if you are lowered all the way on stock bolts in the back (a bit more than an inch or so). We tested fully lowered and as I raised the car up and the lap times went down. Bottom line is that the optimum geometry is not fully lowered on a Stock 2004 Z, so in my mind there's enough travel when the ride height is optimum.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I agree, if you are low enough to need shorter-than-oem shocks, you are probably too low (unless you are running drop spindles)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Sam Stanos. I have my 2003 Z06 lowered 1 inch and never had bottoming out issues. Now that depends on the Koni shock you have. Mine are single adjustable 3013 reds. Car has run in SS, ASP, and NASA TTS.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 AM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Sam, I read some of your shock opinions in other threads. I'm currently at maximum stock bolt lowering, the front is about as low as I'd like to go but the rear definately has some room to come down a bit. How far do you think I can get away with going on stock length 3013's? I was considering going with the 3013 instead of a 2812 because my car seems plenty of street use and frequent trips to the drag strip. I'm wanting to keep the car on a stock rear spring and was considering using a 900lbs front instead of the 1050fr 900rr setup I had originally chosen. (To be more drag friendly and still make a decent improvement in AutoX performance) I compete regionally in a street tire class on very loose surfaces so I feel like I can get away with giving up some spring rate that will probably just hurt me on these slippery surfaces.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not Sam, but referred you to him.
I'm Darrell Covert. First of all, I have had quite a bit experience in autocrossing and Time Trials, so this is from my own experience.

For safety sake you shouldn't go below 2-3 threads exposed below the nut on your rear spring ride height bolts. What is important is not how low the car is, but how balance the Corvette by weight scaling the car's cross weights. That is the weight of the left front plus right rear as compared to the right front plus the left rear. When scaling the car you need to temporarily disconnect the front and rear sway bar links as they will give you a false reading. Remember also that there should be a rake to the car front to back; lower about a 1/2 inch in the front. See factory manuals on how this is done ( J and K position measurement).

When using a Corvette for multiple purposes requires a compromise on this. I'm no expert on drag racing, but have done a lot of Pro-Solos. Weight transfer front to rear is more important, but balance is in road racing and autocrossing. When running Superstock, we got L'tl Blu' within 16 pounds cross weight. That's very good in any race car, so don't expect to get it right on. You should never have the Corvette so low that the lower control arm is beyond horizonal. Very strange alignments happen then, and ill handling and possible damage may result.

Yes, if you have a wet or low traction surface you should go softer, even tire pressures can help or shock adjustments.

Last edited by 96solo; 12-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Right now I've got the car on the safe 2-3 threads showing setting you mentioned. The only thing I haven't done is corner weight it as I was waiting to install springs/shocks/bushings
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Best shock thread ever:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-any-good.html
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U should sell me your Konis and find a real nice set of Penskes.....
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Who?

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get my Koni shocks shortened

Quick Reply: Should I get my Koni shocks shortened