Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience w/Continental slicks - GT-O

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Experience w/Continental slicks - GT-O

Anyone have any experience with these? They are the DP/GT tires, not the DOT R versions.
I am interested in how long they last, grip level and pressure suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Anyone have any experience with these? They are the DP/GT tires, not the DOT R versions.
I am interested in how long they last, grip level and pressure suggestions.

Thanks.
Grip level - FANTASTIC
Last - Not so fantastic

I ran 4 sets that supposedly had 1 heat cycle when I bought them.
1st qualifying they were awesome, 1st race awesome, 2nd qualifying I did similar to first day as far as position but times were down by about 1.5 seconds. 2nd race 2 laps in felt like I was ice skating! I could keep pace but trying to pass was not even on the menu!
2nd, 3rd and 4th set had the exact same experience.

In race conditions they are good for about 2 or 3 more heat cycles then they work well for drifting during DE's

Oop's forgot about pressures.....I started at 20 -22lbs looking for 30 - 31 hot.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Crud. Anyone know if the Pirelli's keep their grip up longer? I am trying to find something that will approximate A6 grip levels but last longer (i.e., fine if grip drops off after initial cycles, as long as that reduced grip still approximates 275 A6 grip).
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie

Oop's forgot about pressures.....I started at 20 -22lbs looking for 30 - 31 hot.
The hot pressures are what I found to work best and are what the pro teams use as well.

The GT-O's are the GP tires which are compatible with our cars. The DP tires are designed for cars with very high downforce(a DP car) and are the 320/650-18's and the 325/710-18's, its a different animal.

As for the tires, I tried them once and they were nothing to write home about; they were nothing special and about as fast and grippy as an R6(and a scrub at that.) No comparison to the Dunlop slicks in either feel or speed, which were the best I ever tried. The wear rate was very modest and they didn't need massive camber unlike the Dunlops, which were horrible. Can't wait to try the Pirelli's for the first time next time I go out.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

We have a Rolex spec prep 2 Corvette that we had out 3 times last year in Club racing events. We were on Conti GT tires that had one 1 hr session at the Rolex 24 on them prior to us using them. I thought the grip, feel, and consistency was decent, but also nothing to get excited about.

I think it is worth noting that the GA GT cars at Homestead were about 2.5 seconds slower in 2011 on Conti's versus 2010 on Pirelli's.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Conti's are just R6 tires without the grooves. They are mad by Hoosier. I go by Hoosier's main office and warehouse and see the Conti trailers out front until shortly before a race weekend.

I just ran a set this last weekend in an autocross. Grip was pretty good. May be as good or slightly worse than my Kumho Victoracer V700s.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
The Conti's are just R6 tires without the grooves. They are mad by Hoosier. I go by Hoosier's main office and warehouse and see the Conti trailers out front until shortly before a race weekend.
I was told by a Hoosier rep that the CTSC tires are R6 design tires with a slightly different compound but the GT and DP are not related to the R6's other than being fabricated in the same factory.

Last edited by Sidney004; 04-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience w/Continental slicks - GT-O

Quick Reply: Experience w/Continental slicks - GT-O