Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tear offs to protect new windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default Need tear offs to protect new windshield

Anyone have a source for tear offs to protect the new windshield I am going to have to put in my car because it is pitted so badly? Thanks. Jerry
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Jerry,

Get in touch with Morris, he just had tear offs installed on his c5 from Pro-Tint here in NC.

Kevin
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
jstout
Drifting

Thanks. Can you pm me his email? Jerry
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I sent him a text to get in touch with you
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry,

I serached the internet and then called around. I narrowed my choice down to two; TearoffGuys and Protint. Either will make them and ship them to you. However, Protint did not recommend that as they said they are very hard to install on a c5. Might be easier on a c6. I went with Protint as they are local to me and installed them at no extra cost. They did a great job, and they where right about how hard they are to install. You first use heat to mold the tear off to the windshield, then put the tear off on. They are easy to crease when you are putting them on, and then they worthless. I would not try it myself on a c5.

What does a windshield cost for your car? Tear offs are expensive. It might be as cheap or almost as cheap just to put a new windshield in your car once a year. I bought a preshaped, pre trimmed lexan whindshield and had it installed in a way that I can just install it myself next time. I am currently using tear offs. I have 3 layers. I have comp school, 3 races (including 3 qualifying sessions and 2 practice sessions), and 4 TT sessions, on them. I plan to peal the top layer off today, and I will let you know how the second layer looks.

It still want to consider tear offs, call Protint at 800-553-8673 and talk to them.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM
jstout
Drifting

Thanks for that great info. I will look forward to hearing about layer 2. I suspect windshields are between 150 and 200. How much does the tear off route cost? Thanks. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Need tear offs to protect new windshield

Quick Reply: Need tear offs to protect new windshield