Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-venom mod: Recommended for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Anti-venom mod: Recommended for HPDE?

I read this thread on C5 General:

Anti-Venom 6 Speed Shifter Modification (Procedure)

My stock shifter is too notchy, especially in the 5-4 and 4-3 downshifts.

Have any of you C5 types tried this? Would you recommend it for a street/HPDE car?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Many years ago this thread was started and someone elso came out with a shorten plug as an alternative. I did the shorter plugabout 2004 +/- and have had no problems. My Corvette is 90% autocross/time trials/hpde.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The washer method of setting the detent bolt higher is a much better choice than the replacement bolt, if only for the cost. I think the bolt was $40 or $60 for one stinking bolt.

Washers are also adjustable since you can add more washers until the detent ball does not make contact at all, if that turns out to be how you like the shifter feel.

I used the washer method until I recently bought a new transmission. I thought it worked great with my cut down stock shifter and my MTI six shooter shifter. Now I have a completely new transmission that shifts pretty good without having to shim the detent. Of course it cost me $5k, but I got a lot more than just easy positive shifting.

Although I recommend the washer shim method, if anyone just has to have the replacement bolt I have an extra Antivenom bolt laying around (yes, I was stupid and didn't know any better so I paid the full amount). $20 shipped.

Dog
Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does setting the detent bolt higher with the washer make it easier for the transmission to pop out of gear? My MGW is notchy as hell.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

No issues with one washer on my MGW.

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Does setting the detent bolt higher with the washer make it easier for the transmission to pop out of gear? My MGW is notchy as hell.
It could if you were to space it out too much. Most people use one or two copper washers and have no problems. Try one and see what you think. It only takes a few minutes to install.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Scooter70
It only takes a few minutes to install.
My favorite kind of mod!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I ran the mod with 2 washers on my B&M shifter for 3+ yrs with no issues. I have the MGW now, and although it is notchy, I like it that way for tracking.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I ran both my 97 and 03Z for 6 years each. Never did anything to the transmission. Both shifted smooth as butter and once the car was rolling I rarely used anything but 3rd and 4th gears, especially with the Z. Even using a BPP shifter for a year on the Z the 3-4-3 shift was fine although the other shifts were a huge PIA. Stock shifter was much better than the BPP and I was glad to get rid of it and go back to stock.

I did use M1 Transmission fluid in both transmissions.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-venom mod: Recommended for HPDE?

Quick Reply: Anti-venom mod: Recommended for HPDE?