Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My claim experience w/ OnTrack Insurance

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default My claim experience w/ OnTrack Insurance

Was excellent. I don't have a single negative comment about the way they handled my claim.

For details on the crash see: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ong-story.html

I had insurance for $50,000 declared value. The total repair bill was a little over $29,000. The deductible was 5% of the declared value or $2500. Please note that this has recently changed. OnTrack now has a deductible of 10% of declared value.

The repairs were done by Bruce's Super Body Shop in Richmond, VA and the car looks great. Virtually everything from the engine forward was replace plus the fenders, fender liners and hood. The back of the car got whacked also so the rear bumper was painted and one tail light replaced. No frame repairs were required.

I had a number of body mods including a Katech carbon fiber splitter w/ undertray and brake ducts, carbon fiber side skirts, Phoenix front tow hook, Quantum cooling kit, 3 M protective film, Top Flight license plate bracket, etc. These were all replaced with no argument what-so-ever. Bruce's asked me to order all of these parts so that we were sure the correct stuff was ordered.

In addition, I was able to upgrade the radiator and oil cooler to a DeWitts and DRM Setrab respectively and actually saved a few bucks! over OEM.

On the way home for checking out the repairs, my wife even said "That looks too nice to take to the track. Maybe you should just buy a race car."

Is life good or what?

Jim
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Glad everything worked out for you.. Track insurance is a good piece of mind! Sadly we have had to use ours aswell.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Was excellent. I don't have a single negative comment about the way they handled my claim.

For details on the crash see: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ong-story.html

I had insurance for $50,000 declared value. The total repair bill was a little over $29,000. The deductible was 5% of the declared value or $2500. Please note that this has recently changed. OnTrack now has a deductible of 10% of declared value.

The repairs were done by Bruce's Super Body Shop in Richmond, VA and the car looks great. Virtually everything from the engine forward was replace plus the fenders, fender liners and hood. The back of the car got whacked also so the rear bumper was painted and one tail light replaced. No frame repairs were required.

I had a number of body mods including a Katech carbon fiber splitter w/ undertray and brake ducts, carbon fiber side skirts, Phoenix front tow hook, Quantum cooling kit, 3 M protective film, Top Flight license plate bracket, etc. These were all replaced with no argument what-so-ever. Bruce's asked me to order all of these parts so that we were sure the correct stuff was ordered.

In addition, I was able to upgrade the radiator and oil cooler to a DeWitts and DRM Setrab respectively and actually saved a few bucks! over OEM.

On the way home for checking out the repairs, my wife even said "That looks too nice to take to the track. Maybe you should just buy a race car."

Is life good or what?

Jim

Great story! Good luck with the racecar purchase!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would convince me to buy track insurance. My mustang, I didn't worry too much, the corvette more expensive, more costly to repair and I like they covered the Katech mods.

I was thinking about putting the Katech mods on my car. Adds downforce front and rear. Good writeup on the wind tunnel tesing on their site.

Were they worth it?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good to know since that is the company I have been buying my insurance from. you mention the mods you had, did you list all of those on the application and that's why they were covered? or did you not list them and they covered them without question?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
good to know since that is the company I have been buying my insurance from. you mention the mods you had, did you list all of those on the application and that's why they were covered? or did you not list them and they covered them without question?
I can't remember if they were listed or not on the application. They probably were but they were not listed on the policy. I should have had pics of the car with all of the mods but I didn't. They just took my word for it. I also didn't gather up all of the parts and bring them home which could have provided some proof. Another thing that surprised me was that they didn't even ask to see the receipts for the original parts.

Jim
Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by rayk
That would convince me to buy track insurance. My mustang, I didn't worry too much, the corvette more expensive, more costly to repair and I like they covered the Katech mods.

I was thinking about putting the Katech mods on my car. Adds downforce front and rear. Good writeup on the wind tunnel tesing on their site.

Were they worth it?
You can feel the effect of additional down force on the Climbing Esses and on the back straightway going over the top of the hill. I've also noted a slight decrease in my speed on the back straightway.

The biggest difference is greatly decreased rotor temps due to the front splitter openings directly plumbed to the Quantum Cooling kit.

Jim
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad that everything worked out fine in the insurance. Best start looking for that "Race Car" before the wife changes her mind. I have noticed several nice ST-2 cars for sale on the forum recently
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

A bit scary, the story of your crash. I try to be more alert in the corners @ LRP that can ruin your day/life but as you indicated, it can happen anywhere in an instant. Very glad to hear you were not injured in any way.
I have used OnTrackInsurance.com before as well (luckily no claims experience) and found them to be excellent. Will be getting the multi-day discount package for the rest of the season before the next event. The downside is just too large to accept for things largely out of your control.

Terry O'
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlutherva
You can feel the effect of additional down force on the Climbing Esses and on the back straightway going over the top of the hill. I've also noted a slight decrease in my speed on the back straightway.

The biggest difference is greatly decreased rotor temps due to the front splitter openings directly plumbed to the Quantum Cooling kit.

Jim
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get the Katech mods. The downforce with additional brake cooling interests me.

I applied for insurance with with On Track Insurance for the next HPDE.
$311.00 is the premium, but I'll feel better knowing my risk is limited to $5,000.

Still don't need an accident even with insurance.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do they still insure you?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
do they still insure you?
John, No, no track claims for the past three years. I switched to Lockton Affinity. They allow one track claim in the past three years.

Lockton also has the advantage of a lower deductible.

Cheers,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To My claim experience w/ OnTrack Insurance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My claim experience w/ OnTrack Insurance