Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q? on brake pad retainers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Q? on brake pad retainers

When installing one piece pads, do you reinstall the anti-rattle clip/spring????

Last edited by rayk; 04-29-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
rayk
Drifting

Updated with correct terminology.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I do.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
When installing one piece pads, do you reinstall the anti-rattle clip/spring????
yes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I just realized you may be talking c6z padlets to one piece? I am not sure on this, so disregard my comment.

What calipers/pads are you asking about?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
I just realized you may be talking c6z padlets to one piece? I am not sure on this, so disregard my comment.

What calipers/pads are you asking about?

I put in Carbotech 1 piece pads. Standard Z06 calipers that come on the GS.

I didn't install the clips. The pads are held in place pretty tightly by the pins.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 AM
froggy47
Race Director

I put in Carbotech 1 piece pads. Standard Z06 calipers that come on the GS.

I didn't install the clips. The pads are held in place pretty tightly by the pins.
I think you will be among an elite group of test pilots on this, you are going to have to use your judgement & experience & observe the wear & performance of the system since it deviates from what gm tested (not necessarily a bad thing to deviate from gm every so often).

report back.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
I think you will be among an elite group of test pilots on this, you are going to have to use your judgement & experience & observe the wear & performance of the system since it deviates from what gm tested (not necessarily a bad thing to deviate from gm every so often).

report back.
When I pull the pads out, I'll see how they wear. I suspect as they wear and move further out on the pin, noise might be the issue. If so, I'll put the clips in one way or the other.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This was from our old press release.

We have finished our redesign of our C6 Z06 One Piece pad for the front and rear stock calipers (PBR Calipers). We were the first to release the padlets almost four years ago, and then we were the first to release the One Piece over a year ago. That design that we worked with GM on wasn't perfect. That's the same design you see other companies using now.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
This was from our old press release.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

[/url]
Is it possible I have a set of old pads? These were a pain in the you know what to fit in the caliper. Very tight fit and I even considered taking a dremel to the pin holes and top edge of the backing plate.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The Carbotechs and Hawk single piece pads have cutouts for the clips. The Cobalt pads don't have the cutouts for the clips so there is no room for them. I only ran a couple of Cobalt pads and one set of Carbotech pads but found the only difference was wear rate. One of my Cobalt pads did hang up on a guide pin thus didn't completely release from the rotor which caused fluid boiling and rapid wear on that pad. Once I saw the pin I realized there is a reason why GM provides a fresh set of pins with their pad replacement kits. Those pins need to be changed no matter what brand pads you use. With clean pins in place the chance of pad hanging up on a pin is reduced considerably.

Bill
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Carbotechs and Hawk single piece pads have cutouts for the clips. The Cobalt pads don't have the cutouts for the clips so there is no room for them. I only ran a couple of Cobalt pads and one set of Carbotech pads but found the only difference was wear rate. One of my Cobalt pads did hang up on a guide pin thus didn't completely release from the rotor which caused fluid boiling and rapid wear on that pad. Once I saw the pin I realized there is a reason why GM provides a fresh set of pins with their pad replacement kits. Those pins need to be changed no matter what brand pads you use. With clean pins in place the chance of pad hanging up on a pin is reduced considerably.

Bill
My car only has 5k on it and I cleaned, inspected, and lubed the pins. The pins didn't have any corrosion, wear I could detect, so I just put on a light coating of pin lube. The only worry is the pin hole in the pad was a tight fit.

Guess I'll have to do an inspection at the track.

Last edited by rayk; 05-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Is it possible I have a set of old pads? These were a pain in the you know what to fit in the caliper. Very tight fit and I even considered taking a dremel to the pin holes and top edge of the backing plate.
No, this press release is over 3 years old. I would like to see a picture of the pad. something is not correct.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

My car only has 5k on it and I cleaned, inspected, and lubed the pins. The pins didn't have any corrosion, wear I could detect, so I just put on a light coating of pin lube. The only worry is the pin hole in the pad was a tight fit.

Guess I'll have to do an inspection at the track.
Corrosion is probably the wrong word for what I am describing. It is a build up of pad materials that increases the friction on the surface of the pin. On my Wilwood Calipers I just pull the pin out and hit it with a Scotch Bright pad but the GM guide pins have those pieces that rotate around the outside of the pin so it is harder to rub them clean. I don't like to lube the pins in the GM calipers since it doesn't take much to screw up a pad when you are installing them and using your fingers to get them in place on the pins and above the clips.

Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
No, this press release is over 3 years old. I would like to see a picture of the pad. something is not correct.
Busier then heck looking for new job, but will try to get a pic later tonight.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Corrosion is probably the wrong word for what I am describing. It is a build up of pad materials that increases the friction on the surface of the pin. On my Wilwood Calipers I just pull the pin out and hit it with a Scotch Bright pad but the GM guide pins have those pieces that rotate around the outside of the pin so it is harder to rub them clean. I don't like to lube the pins in the GM calipers since it doesn't take much to screw up a pad when you are installing them and using your fingers to get them in place on the pins and above the clips.

Bill
There was no build up of material and the pins were bright and shiny with just a quick rub with brake kleen on a clean shop rag.

Appreciate the comments Bill.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
rayk
Drifting

Put the XP8's on the rear brakes tonight and had no issues putting the pads in with the clips. I'm going to pull the fronts tomorrow and revisit the clips again. Rears were a piece of cake.

Get notified of new replies

To Q? on brake pad retainers

Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Put the XP8's on the rear brakes tonight and had no issues putting the pads in with the clips. I'm going to pull the fronts tomorrow and revisit the clips again. Rears were a piece of cake.
Let me know.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
rayk
Drifting

Update: Took the fronts apart again and was able to get the clips in, so I'll chalk this up to another learning experience. Instead of hanging the caliper, used a box from a set of rear gears that I had and it works great to rest the caliper on while changing the pads.

Can't wait to test the new pads at BIR on Monday(7th).

PS: I found that using your thumbs or fingers to compress the pistons works great and saves a time vs a clamp. Easiest pistons I've ever had to compress.

Last edited by rayk; 05-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
rayk
Drifting

Went to BIR today and bedded in the brakes and rotors first session, let it sit for an hour and the wow factor showed up in Session 2. At the end of the session, I could still set the ABS off on a high speed braking zone. Give you confidence when you have good brakes.

Had to leave after the first afternoon session with a corded left tire. It was worn and the carousel turn finished it off.

Right front is about 50% worn. Should I replace both front tires?

Quick Reply: Q? on brake pad retainers