Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Help!!!! Inch to Degree

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Help!!!! Inch to Degree

I had all my specs for the alignment for the track...I was ready for my alignment....but every shop does the alignment in degrees of toe...not inches! So I was screwed....I had no idea what to tell them.

I wanted: 1/32 toe out front
1/16 toe in rear..............

Instead they are going to put my toe out to the max recommended (for a stock C6) and vise versa for the rear on the toe in...

Hope it works

Tom
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf
Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Well....that's a great chart that blkbrd69 posted a link to, but it still shows toe in inches.

Pfadt's specs are well respected, but most of their charts have an informational note that their "negative" toe numbers are "toe-in", as opposed to most other specs that reference toe-out with a negative number - and that chart linked in blkbrd69's post doesn't have that note.

Also, many other track recommendations are for the front to have toe-out for good turn-in, but Pfadt likes toe-in up front even for track alignments.

All that being said, below is a good reference for inch-degree conversion.

Bob

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
geerookie
Drifting

This shoulld help. It is for an 18" wheel.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

after alignment: Front -2.5 camber on both fronts
-0.05 toe on both fronts

Rear -1.5 camber on both rears
.11 toe on both rears

What is my toe??
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well.....that's a good question!!

The good news is that a degree is a degree, no matter where you measure it.

The question is, to convert that to inches, what "diameter" are you referencing???

The chart that geerookie posted up is for an 18 inch "wheel" - and it corresponds exactly to the SummitRacing chart for an 18 inch "diameter".

I have HardBar toe-plates, and the distance between the front and rear tape placement can be adjusted from about 21" to 22" - and I put them out near the edge of the plate so I'm measuring a "diameter" of 22", but depending on which tires I'm running I've got almost 26" diameter tires up front, and almost 27" in the rear. And, if I measured at the front/rear edge of the "wheel", it depends on whether I've got my Z06 or ZR1 wheels mounted (18" or 19" front; 19" or 20" rear).

Looking at your degree read outs from your alignment, if we used my toe-plates at a 22" "diameter", the conversion to inches looks to be slightly less than 1/32" toe-out on each front wheel, and about 3/64" toe-in for each rear wheel.

So....looking at your overall alignment, it looks to me like you've got a great alignment for running something like Hoosiers or other R-compound tires!!

BTW, doing your own alignments is very easy. I now just run street tires for HPDE's and set my C6 Z06 up with less camber now, but still with toe settings just like you appear to have, and I set it up with camber and toe just like your specs above when I used to run Hoosiers.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-01-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Well.....that's a good question!!

The good news is that a degree is a degree, no matter where you measure it.

The question is, to convert that to inches, what "diameter" are you referencing???

The chart that geerookie posted up is for an 18 inch "wheel" - and it corresponds exactly to the SummitRacing chart for an 18 inch "diameter".

I have HardBar toe-plates, and the distance between the front and rear tape placement can be adjusted from about 21" to 22" - and I put them out near the edge of the plate so I'm measuring a "diameter" of 22", but depending on which tires I'm running I've got almost 26" diameter tires up front, and almost 27" in the rear. And, if I measured at the front/rear edge of the "wheel", it depends on whether I've got my Z06 or ZR1 wheels mounted (18" or 19" front; 19" or 20" rear).

Looking at your degree read outs from your alignment, if we used my toe-plates at a 22" "diameter", the conversion to inches looks to be slightly less than 1/32" toe-out on each front wheel, and about 3/64" toe-in for each rear wheel.

So....looking at your overall alignment, it looks to me like you've got a great alignment for running something like Hoosiers or other R-compound tires!!

BTW, doing your own alignments is very easy. I now just run street tires for HPDE's and set my C6 Z06 up with less camber now, but still with toe settings just like you appear to have, and I set it up with camber and toe just like your specs above when I used to run Hoosiers.

Bob
I would have liked alittle more toe in for the rear...but overall I'm happy with the results. If I would have had the graph's before the alignment I would have pushed alittle more rear toe in. Anyway thanks for the graph's and input! R6 Hoosiers here we come..
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
I would have liked alittle more toe in for the rear...
.11 per side is almost 1/4" total. That seems like a lot.
My car has about half that but I haven't had it on a dry track yet so I can't really comment on the handling.

Greg
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by betelgeuse
.11 per side is almost 1/4" total. That seems like a lot.
My car has about half that but I haven't had it on a dry track yet so I can't really comment on the handling.

Greg
Hmmmm.....

Like I said in my post above, it depends on where you measure it (18" wheel diameter, 26" tire diameter, 22" distance between tapes on your toe plates).

Also as mentioned above, based on my 22" toe plates, I see about 3/64" toe-in for each rear wheel - that's about 3/32" total toe, i.e., not even 1/8".

I think Tom is right in the ballpark for the specs he wanted in his original post!

Butt....that's just MHO, YYMV!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmmm.....

Like I said in my post above, it depends on where you measure it (18" wheel diameter, 26" tire diameter, 22" distance between tapes on your toe plates).

Also as mentioned above, based on my 22" toe plates, I see about 3/64" toe-in for each rear wheel - that's about 3/32" total toe, i.e., not even 1/8".

I think Tom is right in the ballpark for the specs he wanted in his original post!

Butt....that's just MHO, YYMV!

Bob
Oh, I see. Next time I'll read the thread with my glasses on LOL.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Help!!!! Inch to Degree

Quick Reply: Alignment Help!!!! Inch to Degree