Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch heat and shifting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default clutch heat and shifting problems?

ok...so heres my story (and im asking in this section because tech is a bunch of waxers anymore) I have the Textrailia Z grip clutch. I have had it for thousands of miles, 0 issues. All of a sudden its impossible to get it in gear at high RPM. any other time its butter. This concidentaly, has happen once I installed the splitter. Not sure if this is making the trans run hotter? it ends before the crossmember. I still run the stock master and slave because thats what Tex recommended. Granted, it never shifted like butter at high RPM, but now its impossible. (yes, fluid is new) Is it possible the master has gone bad?

thoughts?

BTW, this happens if the oil temp and car is at 180 degrees or 250.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

also, i will add. while sitting still in first gear, with the clutch in, if i rev it above 4500 the car jumps forward a bit
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna say Master, I've read a lot of times that missed shifts up high is a Master cyl. Issue.

Hope that gives some insight.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If it creeps then the clutch is not fully disengaging then you will need to pull it and shim it or put in a tick mc
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Stock clutch, C5 Z06. Mine was erratic. One day you could shift fine, another day it would pull ahead from a stop with the clutch in. I drove it to the dealer, shifting without a clutch and when I got there, it was fine. Could not find anything wrong by driving it.

It turned out to be a bad pressure plate. The only thing apparent was a tab broken off. There are about 10-15 of these tabs on the pressure plate. It is not obvious what the tabs do.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Stock clutch, C5 Z06. Mine was erratic. One day you could shift fine, another day it would pull ahead from a stop with the clutch in. I drove it to the dealer, shifting without a clutch and when I got there, it was fine. Could not find anything wrong by driving it.

It turned out to be a bad pressure plate. The only thing apparent was a tab broken off. There are about 10-15 of these tabs on the pressure plate. It is not obvious what the tabs do.
We're talking about the tabs around the inner diameter of the pressure plate, right? Those tabs return the throwout bearing back into the slave cylinder. When you depress the clutch, the hydro fluid forces the throwout against the tabs, which lever and separate the pressure plate from the flywheel. Grab gear, release clutch, throwout goes back to ready position. Simple!

Bonus tip: the springs that are present in the middle diameter of the clutch plate assist with 'dynamic pressure', or help smooth out the take up of friction between the clutch and the flywheel.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
I'm gonna say Master, I've read a lot of times that missed shifts up high is a Master cyl. Issue.

Hope that gives some insight.
ya, seems to be the problem when reading about it. just odd it happens now after close to 20k miles on this clutch set up
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Armycop
We're talking about the tabs around the inner diameter of the pressure plate, right? Those tabs return the throwout bearing back into the slave cylinder. When you depress the clutch, the hydro fluid forces the throwout against the tabs, which lever and separate the pressure plate from the flywheel. Grab gear, release clutch, throwout goes back to ready position. Simple!

Bonus tip: the springs that are present in the middle diameter of the clutch plate assist with 'dynamic pressure', or help smooth out the take up of friction between the clutch and the flywheel.
The tab that broke off is sitting on the friction surface just above hwere it broke off. It looks like a fatigue fracture. Is this what you are talking about?

Get notified of new replies

To clutch heat and shifting problems?

Quick Reply: clutch heat and shifting problems?