Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
nfsmetal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Fellows Driving School

i just finished the level 1 at the ron fellows corvette driving school.

what an experience. you get to drive nice new ZO6, and GS vettes. the staff was great the training even better, and the cars were awesome..

well worth the money for anyone who wants to learn to race, learn about their own vettes capabilities, or just have fun. It was like a five star hotel treatment. very good, and worth the money.

an experience i recommend for everyone who loves to drive..
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nfsmetal

what an experience. you get to drive nice new ZO6, and GS vettes. the staff was great the training even better, and the cars were awesome..

well worth the money for anyone who wants to learn to race, learn about their own vettes capabilities, or just have fun. It was like a five star hotel treatment. very good, and worth the money.

I agree. I had a great time and learned a lot. I was in the 4/2 LVL 1 class and stayed on-site in condo. Going back for LVL 2 and either the LVL 3 or the SCCA course after that.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by nfsmetal

Hi!
a BIG thanks for coming out to our little track in the desert and playing with us
As you said, the experience you gained and the fun you had will stay with you always! hope to see you in level 2 someday!
cheers,

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I just signed up for next week's level 1 class...... Looking forward to it.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM
98C5for2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my Level I in '06. Spring Mountain had 2 or 3 Corvette Track Days to practice what they taught. Great track and super people. No track days for this year though.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Got back from Level 1 class last Thursday, but got busy prepping car for a car show today, so this is my first break......

I had a blast.......initially I was a bit dubious. I had spoken to Rick (head instructor) and told him I had 10 years of track experience (open track days) and one year in a C6Z, but no heel-and-toe downshifting experience, but assumed with all my track days I would take level 2. Instead, Rick suggested level 1 for a variety of reasons; he promised that I would not feel "held back". I trusted him on this and signed up for level 1. However, during the first morning session when I learned that two of my fellow students (class of 20) had never driven a stick before, I thought "What am I doing here?".

However, during the next three days I found myself learning a lot about the capabilities of the Vette and learning new driving skills. The coaching staff is excellent, displaying great patience, driving skills, enthusiasm, and an ever-present positive attitude. It was obvious that they have figured out how to tailor the training to meet each driver's individual needs, and not only did I never feel held back, I felt challenged to learn new skills, practice them on the track, and be a more consistent, smoother (thus faster) driver. I can't wait for my next track day.......

The facility is first class, the operations (class sessions, driving sessions, meals, logistics, accomodations, graduation exercises, etc) have been fine tuned and scheduled so closely there is almost no down time, and the staff really understand customer satisfaction.

I found the mechanics to be really helpful in answering questions I had about my C6Z, and they never made me feel I was bothering them. They were obviously busy prepping all the cars for the class, but they took the time to discuss and answer all my questions; I was impressed.

The support staff really made the registration process (both before and after arrival) easy and patiently answer all my questions (I'm an **** guy). They also made my wife feel welcome and enjoy the stay.

My only regret is that I did not take this class earlier; I intend to return for further training. It's difficult to truly understand the value of this class until after attending, but the best gauge is the comments of those who have taken it. From what I can see on this forum, I am not alone in believing that this class is a great value. In fact, I have already spoken with two other Vette owners about possibly coming with me when I return to Spring Mountain.

BTW, as a bonus, Ron Fellows showed up for a day's visit (he was between events). He was extremely generous with his time and appeared to spend as much time with the students as he could. We seemed to constanly approach him for questions, pictures, or autographs, but he was very gracious and accomodating. He signed everything from posters, helmets, T-shirts, and a shoe. When I wanted a picture with him, he suggested we go outside and pose near a car......what a great guy!

Among the staff, I should mention I met Victor, who is not only on the coaching staff, but is their moderator on this forum....thanks Vic

Also wanted to thank Melinda for making everything so easy for me and my wife, and to Rick Malone and his coaching staff for their skills, the mechanics, and of course, to Ron.

Last edited by harrydirty; 05-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I felt challenged to learn new skills, practice them on the track, and be a more consistent, smoother (thus faster) driver. I can't wait for my next track day.......

Like you, I had been driving HPDE's and received instruction from a number of people. The concentrated instruction at SM made a huge difference on my first track back at home. People actually noticed my improvement on the track.

The staff really understand customer satisfaction. You just cannot say enough good things about the staff. Everyone is great.

I found the mechanics to be really helpful in answering questions I had about my C6Z, and they never made me feel I was bothering them. They were obviously busy prepping all the cars for the class, but they took the time to discuss and answer all my questions; I was impressed.

I asked a lot of questions too about the oil and tires used at SM. They took the time to answer. Very nice.

My only regret is that I did not take this class earlier; I intend to return for further training. It's difficult to truly understand the value of this class until after attending, but the best gauge is the comments of those who have taken it. From what I can see on this forum, I am not alone in believing that this class is a great value. In fact, I have already spoken with two other Vette owners about possibly coming with me when I return to Spring Mountain.

It's expensive, but the worth it IMO. I will be going back for Level II and III. Let me know when your going back.

See comments in Blue.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

My wife hinted about a Christmas present while Rick was mentioning a Level 2 class.................
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Got back from Level 1 class last Thursday, but got busy prepping car for a car show today, so this is my first break......

I had a blast.......initially I was a bit dubious. I had spoken to Rick (head instructor) and told him I had 10 years of track experience (open track days) and one year in a C6Z, but no heel-and-toe downshifting experience, but assumed with all my track days I would take level 2. Instead, Rick suggested level 1 for a variety of reasons; he promised that I would not feel "held back". I trusted him on this and signed up for level 1. However, during the first morning session when I learned that two of my fellow students (class of 20) had never driven a stick before, I thought "What am I doing here?".

However, during the next three days I found myself learning a lot about the capabilities of the Vette and learning new driving skills. The coaching staff is excellent, displaying great patience, driving skills, enthusiasm, and an ever-present positive attitude. It was obvious that they have figured out how to tailor the training to meet each driver's individual needs, and not only did I never feel held back, I felt challenged to learn new skills, practice them on the track, and be a more consistent, smoother (thus faster) driver. I can't wait for my next track day.......

The facility is first class, the operations (class sessions, driving sessions, meals, logistics, accomodations, graduation exercises, etc) have been fine tuned and scheduled so closely there is almost no down time, and the staff really understand customer satisfaction.

The support staff really made the registration process (both before and after arrival) easy and patiently answer all my questions (I'm an **** guy). They also made my wife feel welcome and enjoy the stay.

BTW, as a bonus, Ron Fellows showed up for a day's visit (he was between events). He was extremely generous with his time and appeared to spend as much time with the students as he could. We seemed to constanly approach him for questions, pictures, or autographs, but he was very gracious and accomodating. He signed everything from posters, helmets, T-shirts, and a shoe. When I wanted a picture with him, he suggested we go outside and pose near a car......what a great guy!

Among the staff, I should mention I met Victor, who is not only on the coaching staff, but is their moderator on this forum....thanks Vic

Also wanted to thank Melinda for making everything so easy for me and my wife, and to Rick Malone and his coaching staff for their skills, the mechanics, and of course, to Ron.
Hi again!
it was our pleasure to have you out with us! I will make sure I pass along to all the staff here your post and thanks.
You did a great job on the track and you picked up heel/toe very quick too! Now you have a great technique to keep practicing, and like I mentioned to you, it actually gets easier the faster you go

cheers, and hope you get that Christmas present early!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
red1vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have went through level 1 and level 2, What i learned in those 5 days has helped me immensely both on the track and a better driver on the street. The instructors, staff, and facility is flat out amazing....everyone should experience what they have to offer!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM
beach chopper
Advanced

To the guys at spring mountain, I was there for level 1 in march, great time, I bought a c5 z06 and am getting it ready to track at Sebring in June. I still need wheels and tires. I need suggestions,,,,,,I need tires for dry or wet conditions, not ready to bring wet and dry set up yet. I bought a trailer so no real need for street tires. I would really like to know what the staff at spring mountain, Rick, would suggest!
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Driving School

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Driving School