Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two New Rear DOT-Rs or New All The Way 'Round?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Two New Rear DOT-Rs or New All The Way 'Round?

I currently run Nitto 555RIIs, 275F/305R. (Previous tires were Toyo RA1s in the same sizes.) All four Nittos are from 2008 and have 1 weekend at Sebring, 3 at VIR and (now) two at Road America on them.

After coming off the track at the end of my last session at my most recent Road America weekend, I discovered I had chorded both rear tires (nice timing!). The fronts look like they have another event or so left on them.

I’d like to save some cash for the near term and maybe only get a pair of new rear Nittos. But, given the 6 hard weekends I’ve put on all four corners, I could go new all the way around, probably the Toyo R888s.

Best price I’ve found for the Nittos is from DiscountTire.com ($1148 full set...can order through local Discount Tire shop; ~$16 M&B). Best price for the R888s is from TiresDirect.net ($974 w/o shipping…M&B probably more expensive than w/ DT due to not buying the Toyos from an installer).

Whattayathink? Go with new rear only Nittos, new Nittos all the way around, or R888s on all four corners? Or, something else?

Thanks in advance for the comments!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

2 new rears will be fine. If anything, it may teach you more about dealing with understeer.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, I would go with 4 new tires of what ever type you decide on. Fronts are 4 to 5 years old and probably heat cycled out compared to new. Too much difference in traction capabilities not to do all 4.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

At VIR last weekend, I had a set of tires with 10 heat cycles on the front and a set with 30 cycles on the rear. For 1 session I switched them to see if it was better having better grip on the rear - averaged 5 secs per lap slower. Car just would not turn. Switched them back, but at least I know now. Your mileage may vary based on your driving habits. For me, it works better with the extra grip on the front.

Get notified of new replies

To Two New Rear DOT-Rs or New All The Way 'Round?

Quick Reply: Two New Rear DOT-Rs or New All The Way 'Round?