Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca Open Track - June 22-23

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Laguna Seca Open Track - June 22-23

If anyone wants to have a little Friday-Saturday fun on the west coast, next month the NorCal SAAC (Shelby Club) is having an open track at Laguna Seca June 22cd & 23rd. Open to all makes & models, no membership required. I'll be there in my Z06 to have some fun with the Fords, the guys are all really cool so no "brand loyalty" issues. Also since this is a "club day", the track (county of Monterey) will be enforcing sound limits, so decently quiet mufflers are required (and probably short shift a bit out of turn 5).

http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/1206ls.htm
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
lazz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a stock c6 z06 pass sound for one of the HPDE sound limit days at Laguna Seca? What if the NPP flaps are wired shut?

I like driving at Seca, but I really can't trust myself to short shift on every lap

Last edited by lazz; 05-17-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: c6 z06 clarification
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
lazz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, this does not look promising:

Originally Posted by norcalshelbyclub
*** 90 dB Sound Limit ***

THIS IS A 2dB REDUCTION FROM PREVIOUS EVENTS. IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN BLACK FLAGGED FOR A SOUND
VIOLATION AT LAGUNA SECA WITH THE 92dB LIMIT, YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY YOUR EXHAUST SYSTEM TO PASS THE 90dB LIMIT.

Monterey County restricts the maximum sound output level of all cars at this event to 90 dB measured at 50ft using an A-weighted decibel scale. Any car exceeding the sound limit will be immediately black flagged and must be modified to achieve compliance before reentering the track. There are no exceptions to the sound limit. Failure to comply with the sound limit will result in disqualification from the event with no refund.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Great, now stock street cars won't even pass sound there! I'll have to go there on the Prius Club Track Day to go full throttle around the track.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
4wheels
Pro

It'll be tight on sound. Laguna is a great track but the county is being a bit nuts on sound. A stock Z06 will not meet sound IF you run it to redline & shift coming out of turn 5. I have run my C6Z there and passed sound by easing up & shifting at around 5k vs 7k. So I'm going there, but am expecting to ease it up around 5. I've done it before and it hasn't put a damper on my weekend.

If you wired the muffler flaps so you could close them I think it would pass. However then you'd be down on power the whole track, unless you have a special switch you flip braking into 5 & turn it off going into 6.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
4wheels
Pro

Just saw a post from the organizers of this club event... it said if you fail sound but are within the "typical" club day limit of 92dB they will refund the unused portion of your track fees. Pretty nice of them. I believe you also have to be black flagged 3 times to be officially "out".
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheels
Just saw a post from the organizers of this club event... it said if you fail sound but are within the "typical" club day limit of 92dB they will refund the unused portion of your track fees. Pretty nice of them. I believe you also have to be black flagged 3 times to be officially "out".
I'm not sure if it varies by track promoter, but on previous occasions I have seen the 3 strikes rule in effect. However, normally after being black flagged the offender must come in on that lap and then after attempting modifications they must notify the track officials they are going back out for a test run to see if the modifications were successful. The 3 strikes applied to the initial notification and the two attempts to lower sound within specified limits by modification.

Either way it can be a real pain in the butt.

I have seen some amazing exhaust systems people made just so they can run at Laguna. Once I saw a 3' long muffler sticking straight out the back of a car. The car looked like a big tank turret pointing backwards.

Dog
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Add more days to this event and run with alfa club too. I'll be there racing with them.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...01605773213FCF

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca Open Track - June 22-23

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Open Track - June 22-23