Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window nets and good visibility: show your setup!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Window nets and good visibility: show your setup!

I'm tracking a C6 and the cage design, current window net design, and my Spark ProADV seat with built in wings are all huge impediments to good visibility. The existing net uses a semi bent bar with the GM Seat Belt clip hanging down (and cutting up my skull) on exit.

I end up trying to see out the left by peering under OR over the window net bar (and the 1 5/8" window net seam). I've decided I want to keep the mesh G-Force net, but use a bar that is bent to follow the roll cage and forces the net seam to ride above my field of view. Any ideas for alternate mounting methods?

I found this on a 4 wheeler forum and think its worth copying

More pics of my lousy setup..

Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Why not run the rod (that goes through the top of the net) up about 2 more inches, closer to the cage bar, and put a sharper bend in the end of the rod that has the clip for the buckle. You might have to change the orientation of the welded buckle to receive the clip, but that's not a big deal.

That'll give you a couple of inches of more view.

Originally Posted by jerrytx

Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

That is where I'm headed: run the net bar as high as possible. The complex part is the series of bends that would be required at the rear (above the "G-force" label in the net). That is an extreme bend to get to the rear hook to hold the bar. Add another bend up front to follow the windshield and its going to be harder to secure a round round with two large bends in it, its going to want to flop over. I say that because I want to use a spring loaded pin to secure the bar as that won't hang down. The buckle itself HAS to go, it hangs too low (in the field of view) and is dangerous without a helmet and doesn't help with my quick exits as it is. All the reason more why I am interested in pics of functional setups.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm tracking a C6 and the cage design, current window net design, and my Spark ProADV seat with built in wings are all huge impediments to good visibility. The existing net uses a semi bent bar with the GM Seat Belt clip hanging down (and cutting up my skull) on exit.

I end up trying to see out the left by peering under OR over the window net bar (and the 1 5/8" window net seam). I've decided I want to keep the mesh G-Force net, but use a bar that is bent to follow the roll cage and forces the net seam to ride above my field of view. Any ideas for alternate mounting methods?

I found this on a 4 wheeler forum and think its worth copying

Very similar to the IO Port top mount. Have one in our SSC Sentra, works great, one of the easiest setups to use. It is low enough profile that you could mount it to the outside of your top bar, just to save wear and tear on your skull.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=WN
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
Very similar to the IO Port top mount. Have one in our SSC Sentra, works great, one of the easiest setups to use. It is low enough profile that you could mount it to the outside of your top bar, just to save wear and tear on your skull.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=WN
Same idea but with the IOPort design it is two bars, one inside the other. That is exactly what I wanted to run but can't because I have to bend it and once I do it can't slide. I'm concerned with the design I pictured that the whole thing will flop over without some woodruff key type tab/slot for the front of the setup. I would run that spring slider in the rear (inside the net) and would pull the bar backward (toward the rear of the car) so that the front falls out of its tab. I hope that made sense.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Same idea but with the IOPort design it is two bars, one inside the other. That is exactly what I wanted to run but can't because I have to bend it and once I do it can't slide. I'm concerned with the design I pictured that the whole thing will flop over without some woodruff key type tab/slot for the front of the setup. I would run that spring slider in the rear (inside the net) and would pull the bar backward (toward the rear of the car) so that the front falls out of its tab. I hope that made sense.
If you mount it on the side of the down tube you wont have to bend it.

I don't have a good shot of the mounts, but this one is attached to the side of the down tube, fits between the tube and door. Net looks funny because it ends up wrapping around the halo seat.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 05-21-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
If you mount it on the side of the down tube you wont have to bend it.

I don't have a good shot of the mounts, but this one is attached to the side of the down tube, fits between the tube and door. Net looks funny because it ends up wrapping around the halo seat.

I would like to do that but your top bar is much higher and as a result out of the Field of View in most cases. Sitting low and looking up the top bar becomes part of the problem. Anything I can do to avoid looking through anything but mesh is the goal.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

I would like to do that but your top bar is much higher and as a result out of the Field of View in most cases. Sitting low and looking up the top bar becomes part of the problem. Anything I can do to avoid looking through anything but mesh is the goal.
In that case recommend looking out the windshield. I woulds guess if your seat is impeding your vision you are not wearing a HNR? I have the same seat in my car, and I don't see any portion of the seat with my Hybrid Pro on.

Try a smaller one that gives you more of a gap at the front (if you are worried about your arms you can always wear arm restraints):

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 05-21-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Window nets and good visibility: show your setup!

Quick Reply: Window nets and good visibility: show your setup!