Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 pads vs. Hawk Hp Plus for autocross.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default C5 Z06 pads vs. Hawk Hp Plus for autocross.

I've almost always used Hawk Hp Plus pads for autocross. There's was one time I used Hawk HPS. This was my first time with stock C5 Z06 pads. For my car and driving style, the stock pads were much better in modulation and confidence. Those Hawk pads would grab way to hard with little modulation. Plus "Ice Mode" quite frequently. This opinion is for autocross only. Thought someone might benefit in making a pad decision.

Steve A.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a C5 front brake conversion on my '87 and I use Z06 pads in front and Hawk HPS on the rears for autocross. I think the compounds for the two are somewhat similar and the braking performance is about the same. I also installed the DRM brake bias spring and that helped balance the braking effort.

I have used the HP+ padd before and while they are also good autocross pads, they do need some heat in them to work. I have tried dragging the brakes while moving up in grid and while that helps some, it's better no heat. Also found that the HP+ pads do dust heavily and it's not a good idea to leave the dust on the wheels if it gets wet and then dries before you have a chance to remove the dust.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Steve,

Your opinions match mine; the Z-rated pads are excellent for autox. I think the HP+ pads have more brake torque, and as you mention they bite really hard on initial application. However, if you get through that initial bite then they do modulate fairly well.

I'm learning this the hard way on my LS1 Miata without ABS.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you guys are looking for a true Auto X pad, next time take a look at the Carbotech AX6.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as race compounds in most applications. For application questions please call or email Carbotech™.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

XR2 rock for autocross they work at low temps and grab like no biz... just harsh on teh rotors at these colder temps.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I have used both the OEM Z pads and the HPS pads and i guess it all depends on your driving style. The HPS for me works better as I like that initial bite and I've never had ice mode come up with them on.
The Z pad does have maybe a little more modulation in general, I've never noticed it in an apparent way.

The HP+ to me is far more agressive and needs more heat than you normally would build at an event.

One thing I didn't notice is whether you're running in a stock class or something modified? SSM? SSP? XP ?

that to me would be the bigger question. If you're running something that's a little faster with allot more speed you're carrying or something like that, it would maybe warrant the better pads.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut

One thing I didn't notice is whether you're running in a stock class or something modified? SSM? SSP? XP ?
It's in XP. The last event the Z06 pads worked great. My car weighs #2730. That should help also.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 pads vs. Hawk Hp Plus for autocross.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 pads vs. Hawk Hp Plus for autocross.