Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few C5 Race Seat mounting questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A few C5 Race Seat mounting questions

My Ultra Shield Roadrace seat comes in today, and I'll probably mount it in my C5 FRC this weekend. I have a few questions. I have a milling machine so I'm just going to make my own seat rails. I was looking at the hardbar rails and I like that setup so I'm going to do something similar, but what's the reason for the adapter bolts? I could also make these on my lathe but why can't I just run bolts straight through the floor? Anything else I should know before making a set of rails? I have easy access to 6061-t6 in pretty much any size, I'm assuming 1/4" thick is the standard, or is that 3/16"?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The adapter bolts are used to extend the current floor bolts because they are in a recess in the floor. The adapters extend the bolts and also provide a ledge for the rail to rest on. Gary sells the bolts separately but they aren't cheap. There are a couple of things I would do to improve them for easier installation (I swap seats all the time) but they are an excellent product. Here are pictures of them as they sit in my car:

Notice there is a little shelf at the top of the extender. That is where the seat rail rests. If you just replace the current bolts with longer bolts you will have to use washers to take up the space. IMO, washers don't do as good of a job as they are not solid.

I think I measured Gary's rails at 3/16. They are beefy and very adaptable. I know your labor is free and materials are not an issue but the time you spend making these is valuable in some form or other so why not just buy from Gary? The time you save can be spent doing other things on the car.

I don't remember if the C5 FRC came with a power driver seat but if it did it helps to reroute the wiring harness under the carpet in front of the seat bolt and come in from the front center. Otherwise, the rail can't sit flat on the carpet/floor.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The time to make the rails isn't a big deal at all, and I enjoy the process. The hardbar rails are expensive, but CNC time and tooling is hideously expensive so I understand. I have the tooling and material right here in my shop, so why not. Not really that big of a job, and I could make the extenders easy enough by just drilling and tapping the centers out of some grade 5 bolts. What I'll probably end up doing is using longer grade 8 studs and turning some solid spacers, or welding some "feet" onto the rails to drop into the recess. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Thanks Bill the pictures were very helpful.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
maw455
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've got 2 sets of Gary's rails. He will tell you that the adapter bolts are also necessary to avoid the possibility of shearing the stock bolts in a heavy crash if you just put washers on for spacers. This is more important if you use the seat rails to attach your lap belts as opposed to some other mounting point on the car. I don't presume to understand the engineering behind it but something about it being easier to break a longer stick than a shorter one of the same diameter makes sense to me. Gary is an engineer, so I defer to his expertise.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM
damenh85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my own mounts a couple years ago. They've held up well on the track and I have no complaints so far. Here's a link to the (lengthy) post I did with pictures. I don't have all the nice equipment (and fabrication experience) that it sounds like you do, so I reckon you should have no problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...many-pics.html

damen

Get notified of new replies

To A few C5 Race Seat mounting questions

Quick Reply: A few C5 Race Seat mounting questions