Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick detach racing steering wheel: yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick detach racing steering wheel: yay or nay?

I was thinking of getting a smaller, quick detach racing wheel for my vette. Keep in mind this car is about 50% track, 50% street, but if anything it's become a racecar I sometimes drive on the street. I run a six point harness 24/7 in a deep shell racing seat, and it is a ROYAL PITA to get in and out of the car with the door closed in my trailer. So I'd like the quick detach... suggestions? I know it disables the airbag, but is there really any benefit to the airbag if you're running a six-point harness? I don't wear a helmet/HANS on the street, so I'm thinking the airbag may still be of some benefit. Any input on which wheel to get, or whether or not I should go for it would be appreciated.

Also, I'd like to have a flat bottom (D-shaped) wheel for the extra clearance, or better yet, a wheel with no bottom at all. I'd like the extra leg clearance.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 05-27-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a Sparco 330 with the ATI quick detach hub in my C5 track car shortly after I got it. Best mod I did to the car. I too have trouble getting in and out of the race seat with the steering wheel in place. Pop off the wheel, tilt the column up and getting out is much easier. Plus the benefit of the smaller wheel on the track is great. You'll wonder how the hell you could steer the car with that bus wheel after going to the smaller wheel.

Jay
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I put one in my '99 for many of the same reasons. I have a kirkey seat and without the removable wheel it would be troublesome to get in/out of the car. Mine is a sparco 375 and I am considering swapping it out for a momo 330mm model or sparco equivalent as I have used in a few race cars in the past. If you have any interest I'd be willing to sell my current sparco.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm using a Sparco Ring with the Sweet Mfg. quick disconnect. Makes getting in and out of the car a lot easier.

Get notified of new replies

To quick detach racing steering wheel: yay or nay?

Quick Reply: quick detach racing steering wheel: yay or nay?