Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Track Shocks

Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Track Shocks

I tracked my 03 Z06 for the first time this week. I run Time Attack in Showroom Stock Unlimited (SSU) with Corvettes of Massachusetts Sports Car Club (COMSCC).
According to the rules the only thing on the suspension that can be changed is the shocks.
I'm no shock expert but when I was on the track pushing it the stockers felt like they needed more rebound or something. The car felt like it was oscillating from corner to corner and it was skittish and darting under hard braking.
I've been thinking about the Johnny O'Connell shocks but I've read the Bilsteins, Konis, and the C06Z shocks are good. I'm looking for maximum control and grip on the race track.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got some Koni 3013 shocks that I just took of my racecar. PM for details if you're interested.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The JOC's are awesome. I absolutely love them.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Since external reservoirs are prohibited, you can't run the Penske 8300s I have (and LOVE).

Richard Strout could give you some dyno data on these at full hard and full soft: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=122
Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Since external reservoirs are prohibited, you can't run the Penske 8300s I have (and LOVE).

Richard Strout could give you some dyno data on these at full hard and full soft: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=122
Hi Bert. I know Penske is a hell of a good shock but I'm not looking to spend that much. What did you run when your car was stock? Or near stock?

Greg
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There is no such thing as a Best shock. Each track requires something different. Just try Sebring with me some day. omg.

Richard
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfn026
There is no such thing as a Best shock. Each track requires something different. Just try Sebring with me some day. omg.

Richard
Yeah. I hear Sebring is pretty rough.
I'm not looking for the perfect shock. Just something that can control the springs better than the stock ones under track conditions.

Greg
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by betelgeuse
Hi Bert. I know Penske is a hell of a good shock but I'm not looking to spend that much. What did you run when your car was stock? Or near stock?

Greg
I ran the base coupe stock setup for only a few events. The car would be on the bump stops in the bowl and T10 at NHMS -- no fun to drive when you are unloading LOADED tires.

After a few events I had rubbed holes in all four fender liners and went straight the the Penske 8300 DAs. Spend the money once and get it right.

Bert
Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

I hear you Bert. I'm guilty of trying to cheap out and end up spending more money on the same part to get it right. But I only plan on tracking this car 2 more times. Once at NHMS and once at the Glen.

Does anyone run the Johnny O'Connell shocks on the stock springs?

Greg
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

04 C5Z shocks.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by betelgeuse
I hear you Bert. I'm guilty of trying to cheap out and end up spending more money on the same part to get it right. But I only plan on tracking this car 2 more times. Once at NHMS and once at the Glen.
why spend big $$ on shocks for just 2 more events? just get you some slicks and go have fun

There was one shock (maker) that was on the pole for every big race last weekend (Monaco F1, Indy, and NASCAR). You can't fake that with bling bling hype and fancy websites and pretty pictures.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinhard
why spend big $$ on shocks for just 2 more events? just get you some slicks and go have fun

There was one shock (maker) that was on the pole for every big race last weekend (Monaco F1, Indy, and NASCAR). You can't fake that with bling bling hype and fancy websites and pretty pictures.
I have the track tires already. If I was only doing HPDE I would be perfectly happy with the stock shocks.
I'm well aware of the vendors hype. That's why I'm asking for opinions of people with real world experience. I'm not looking to spend thousands. Just looking for a shock that will control the springs better than the stock ones.

Greg
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as RXBen stated, the 04Z shocks are a great shock. There's really not much in between IMHO, it's either that, or go spend big $$.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinhard
as RXBen stated, the 04Z shocks are a great shock. There's really not much in between IMHO, it's either that, or go spend big $$.
Where is the best place to but them.
Thanks,
Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Best Track Shocks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Track Shocks