Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE - Seats, Harnesses, and Harness Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default HPDE - Seats, Harnesses, and Harness Bars

I've been to one HPDE and am now addicted. I'm researching seats, harnesses and harness bars and have a few questions for those with experience. I've read that the BK harness bar is the way to go and plan to put one in (please let me know if you have better thoughts). However, I'm not certain about the harnesses or seats. Would a 4-point harness with stock seats be much of an upgrade? If not, it seems like I should go with a 6-point harness and new seats. The Corbeau are inexpensive, but seem too good to be true. Has anyone driven these at multiple HPDEs? A lot of people also seem to have Evo / Evo2s / Cobra. I have a 38' waiste, so would be looking at the wider versions. Anyone have good/bad experiences with these?

Thank you
Chris
2002 Z06
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're tall and need to put the seat all the way back when driving on the street then the BK bar is the only way to go. If not, Hardbar makes an excellent bar with a simpler design. The only problem is that the seat will hit it before it's in the farthest back position. If you drive around with the seat touching the bar it will rub a hole in it; I learned the hard way. Hardbar does make a seat extender to fix this, but it's pricey when you combine the bar and the extenders.

Some organizations don't allow 4-point harnesses. IMO they're a waste of time. If you get in a bad crash and don't have an anti-sub belt (crotch strap) you can slide down and out of the harnesses.

The factory seats are poor for HPDE use, but nonetheless running them with harnesses are better than stock 3-point seat belts. The ideal option is a properly fitting race seat and harnesses. However, this can be uncomfortable if you have a longer drive to/from the track; if you're trailering then it's a non-issue.

Corbeaus Forzas are a decent entry-level seat, but they make a FX1 that's a nice step up. Best advice is to go to a shop that has all different kids of seats and sit in them and see what works for you. Also, keep in mind that there aren't many seats that fit in the C5. The space between the trans tunnel and outer seat belt retractor is pretty tight.

I feel that the seat is the most important part of all of this, especially if your tall or wide. If you can't work your legs w/o constantly hitting the steering wheel you'll never learn how to heel-toe and will never learn to drive to the best of your abilities.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you go with a harness, you should be investing in a Hans device as well. Otherwise, your neck becomes the weak link.

I do 6-8 HPDEs a year and run with the stock seats and 3-point belt, along with a set of Angel Pads. But that's because I run my "everyday" car, not a dedicated track car. Eventually I'll go to a harness/Hans, but as long as I'm driving it on a daily and sometimes long distance basis, I'll stay with the stock seats and Angel Pads.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Anthony Stark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a set of Red Z06 Caravaggio Racing Seats. If your seats are both electric and you would be willing to trade along with some cash to make up the difference, I would be willing to let these go.
Tracks included.

Where are you located??

These are on Long Island.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I was able to get Sparco Evo 2 +'s to fit in my car and retain my factory 3 points using a Hardbar fixed seat bracket. The seats are an INSANELY tight fit trying to get them in but it DOES work if you trim the tranny sides of both seats. My seats do not slide and are fixed to my track driving position.

I originally had Corbeau FX1 seats in my car and had to remove the factory seat belts to get them to fit. They are large seats and rubbed the doors. I had them on the Corbeau sliders and they are pretty uncomfortable IMO because they do not recline enough.

At a 38 waist the Sparco's would be tight but you could fit. Probably wouldn't be to your liking though.

I've heard a lot of people go Kirkey or Ultrashield custom but those are more track oriented and probably not as much of a dual use. You would also not want to use the seatbelt on the Sparco seat if you were shorter. The belt woudln't rest on your shoulder.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had the Corbeau FX1 and the FX1 Pro, both are nice seats. I have a 38" waist and the FX1 Pro fits perfectly whereas the FX1 is a little too large. Corbeau's published measurements, and most seat manufacturers, are not very useable for determining what fits. If you can, go sit in the seat your interested in.

The FX1 is a tight fit in the C5 and you will probably have to remove the stock belts. By putting a 1/4" washer under the two outboard seat mounts between the seat and mount itself solves any other fitment problems and doesn't affect how the seat looks in the car or how it feels when you sit in it.

Crow makes a resonably priced, rotary lock, 6 point belt that is especially made for the C5 and hooks up to the Corbeau mounts perfectly.

FX1 on passenger side, FX1 Pro on drivers side

Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put an Ultrashield in my car, I also have a 38" waist and the 17" wide seat is a nice fit. I also had them raise the containment halo 1" so my shoulders didn't rub it and I'm glad I did as it's still really close (I'm 6'3"). I can tell you now the seat is track only, you'll get sick of climbing in and out of it really quickly around town. I have a regular hardbar and the seat hits it before I get it all the way rearward.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
spectator2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I've been to one HPDE and am now addicted. I'm researching seats, harnesses and harness bars and have a few questions for those with experience. I've read that the BK harness bar is the way to go and plan to put one in (please let me know if you have better thoughts). However, I'm not certain about the harnesses or seats. Would a 4-point harness with stock seats be much of an upgrade? If not, it seems like I should go with a 6-point harness and new seats. The Corbeau are inexpensive, but seem too good to be true. Has anyone driven these at multiple HPDEs? A lot of people also seem to have Evo / Evo2s / Cobra. I have a 38' waiste, so would be looking at the wider versions. Anyone have good/bad experiences with these?

Thank you
Chris
2002 Z06
Check the Nasa forums tere is a bunch of seats and srace stuff for sale. I just bought a OMP seat from someone on the Nforums.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=35
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

4 point harness are not allowed by any organization

DOT 3 point or 5 or 6 point Harness system.

6 points may be best ( to save the family jewels )

Harnesses should be mounted per manufactures recommendations. ie through set holes, and not wrapping around the back of the seat.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The Corbeau A4 is an option for you. It is a compromise, between a fixed-back, track only seat and the OEMs. The A4 has somewhat deep bolsters that hold you in much better than stock but is still reclinable. You would be able to keep stock belts serviceable (bolsters aren't deep enough to lessen their effectiveness). Some guys like them...some don't. I use to have them, now I have FX1. As mentioned above, a seat like the FX1, with its fixed back and very deep sides, isn't too good for daily driving.

I have the "Kalani" harness bar from forum vendor KNS Brakes. It's very rugged and beutifully designed and executed. It puts the shoulder straps at the perfect height for me. Not sure if you can keep stock belts though (mine are removed), you'd need to check with them. KNS Brakes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
4 point harness are not allowed by any organization

DOT 3 point or 5 or 6 point Harness system.

6 points may be best ( to save the family jewels )

Harnesses should be mounted per manufactures recommendations. ie through set holes, and not wrapping around the back of the seat.

The 4 point Schroth harnesses you see available for some BMWs and VWs are designed to work like a 3 point belt in a crash. They are actually certified by DOT as they pass the required tests. They fasten into stock rear seat belt mounting points that are available in those cars but are not available in a two seat Vette. The inside shoulder belt is weaker than the outside so the belts let the body move forward and twist to the side like a stock 3 point which prevents submarining under the lap belt.

If you go to a 5 or 6 point race harness then you need to make sure the antisub belt passes through the bottom of the seat and is mounted so it pulls on the lap belt in the exact opposite direction of the shoulder belts. The antisub belt prevents submarining by keeping the lap belt in place tight on your pelvis not by blocking you from sliding under the lap belt.

If your solution involves passing the sub belt in front of a seat cushion don't even bother spending the money.

If you go with a Kirkey or Ultrashield seat you will have to have back braces going to the harness bar. I have Ultrashields with a Shark bar in my C6 and I have each of them reinforced with a back brace to the bar. I used the same seats in my C5Z and braced them against the roll bar.

Before I went with the race seats I tried a bunch of different ways to use the stock seats with 6 point belts. The big problem is they aren't much better than a properly cinched 3 point belt since you still slide around from side to side with your butt planted in the seat and the body pivoting around the lap belt with upper body going the opposite direction of the lower body.

If you can find a replacement seat that holds you in place but permits use of the stock lap belt that is about the cheapest path to follow. The 3 point belt when placed in cinch mode will keep you planted in the seat it is the seat's job to keep you from sliding around.

Bill
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just finished setting up my new Schroth Profi-IIs with pull-up lap belts an hour ago... figured I'd toss up a picture Old belts expired end of 2011. Seat is a custom-fit Ultrashield Pro Roadrace on Hardbar seat mounts.

I wouldn't want to drive it to work every single day, but it'd be plenty comfortable for a few hour drive to/from the track. Also it comes out with four nuts to the OEM seat studs and one bolt to the seat back brace.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I appreciate all the input. Anthony, thank you for the heads up on the Carravagios, they are on my short list but I'm looking to keep my interior all black.

Sounds like I need a 6 point harness to be safe (no submarine) and safe (family jewels). I'm split between the Carravagio race seats (look great), Corbeau A4s (low cost), and Evo 2s (something in the middle). I'm in the Dallas area and going to look for opportunities to try them out. Seems like everyone speaks well of the BK harness bar, so going to pick that up as well. I'm still concerned about the low price on the A4s relative to the other options. Has anyone had a bad experience with an A4 in HPDE? If not, price may drive me in that direction.

Thank you,
Chris
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I'm still concerned about the low price on the A4s relative to the other options. Has anyone had a bad experience with an A4 in HPDE? If not, price may drive me in that direction.
No bad experiences when I used the A4s for HPDE. They are a substantial upgrade over stock, but thats not really saying much. I eventually replaced them with the FX simply because it's far deeper and holds you in better on track.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Chris,

Check your PM Inbox.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE - Seats, Harnesses, and Harness Bars

Quick Reply: HPDE - Seats, Harnesses, and Harness Bars