Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Oil Analysis - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 2nd Oil Analysis - thoughts?

They do not seem to be as concerned about the abnormal averages. 7k seems to be the change interval for the Amsoil 10/40. The titanium thing still has me a little concerned. The only ti I can find in my engine build is the valve spring retainers. They have been in for about 15 mos, or 14k mi including ~16 track days. I changed the Patriot heads out after 2 years and was planning on doing the TFS springs every two also. Maybe sooner now? Thoughts?

Here is link to first analysis thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-thoughts.html
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like it reads, "You might change this oil sooner, due to wear, but no problem found"

7k mile may be too much.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

An LS2, pushing upwards of 600 hp, thrashed at a track. Your oil analysis is only going to be one tool in your maintenance program.

How many of those 7,000 miles were on the track? You might want to try changing your oil out on a time basis (i.e. you put 4 hours of track time on a given weekend). I'd start out with a high frequency of oil changes, just to get an idea of how your engine is wearing. Maybe start with 10 hours track time and go from there.

Ti is also an additive is some engine oils, might check to see if Amsoil is one of them.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Back when I tracked my street car I changed my oil per the DIC or every 3 track weekends, whichever came first. Don't trust the DIC to account for track use. I know some on here say it does, but no C5 I've ever owned (owned 4) has. Case in point my current race car shows 98% remaining and that's after a race weekend at Road Atlanta in December, and two TT/instructing weekends at VIR; one in February and the other in March. I just changed it in prep for the RA race next weekend.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read it as change it soon not sooner. Nothing beat testing.

I was told on mine 5,000 miles M-1 10-30.

My oil samples were close to the DIC and on the safe side.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the above sample is good news - your trends are all in the right direction.

That said, I agree with several of the others above. On the track, I completely ignore the OLM. I personally change out my racing oil at about every 4th track day. Equates to about 500 miles or so. Probably way over conservative, but in my opinion, oil is cheap, engines are not.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

What strikes me is the amount of make up oil. This has to really skew data I would think.

Here is my Blackstone. Over 5k miles and 3 track days. Only 1/4 qt of make up oil.

DH
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The make up oil is the extra qt I put in for each track day event. Also, I got this from another member who report showed high ti levels:

so ... figured it out. My car has a cam / heads and aftermarket springs. The spring retainers are made of TI and the style used up to now did not allow the vlaves to rotate in the retainer. This is what causes the excess wear and from what my builder understand could prematurely wear the valve guides which means ya got to take the heads off.... So I am having mine replaced next week and since this is brand new oil I would think the next sample should go down a bit then the one after that should show it eliminated. My statements may be a little bit off but net is the design of the retainers are what is causing the TI ... and the new ones which are made of same material fix the problem....

Thoughts on that? It is above my engine knowledge.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea ... that was what my builder told me... (and i told you) Since I have ported Texas speed heads with 202/160 valves the only TI part in my motor now is the aftermarket retainers. Apparently the current design is not allowing the valve to rotate properly and causing excessive wear??? That is where my TI is coming from and the builder told me to put new retainers in and all would be good.. He said this could eventually turn into guide wear .... So i am on my 2nd season with these springs and retainers and figured it would be a good time to replace anyway ... I am at the top of a new oil change and will post results of oil test after 4 more events :-)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for posting. What brand did you install? What were your choices?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car goes in the shop tomorrow ... will get more details
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme

They do not seem to be as concerned about the abnormal averages. 7k seems to be the change interval for the Amsoil 10/40. The titanium thing still has me a little concerned. The only ti I can find in my engine build is the valve spring retainers. They have been in for about 15 mos, or 14k mi including ~16 track days. I changed the Patriot heads out after 2 years and was planning on doing the TFS springs every two also. Maybe sooner now? Thoughts?

The above oil report is from my LS6. Please note the very different levels of Aluminum, Copper, Lead, Iron, Titanium, etc. I never read the DIC. I change my oil every 3k miles or two track days, whichever comes first.

You should consider using moly-coated Titanium retainers. You should also look at PSI valve springs. They specially process their spring ends so they reduce the fretting on Titanium retainers. I learned about the coating of Ti retainers and the PSI springs when I visited two NASCAR engines shops in February.

Good luck with your engine.

-
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Pumba

The above oil report is from my LS6. Please note the very different levels of Aluminum, Copper, Lead, Iron, Titanium, etc. I never read the DIC. I change my oil every 3k miles or two track days, whichever comes first.

You should consider using moly-coated Titanium retainers. You should also look at PSI valve springs. They specially process their spring ends so they reduce the fretting on Titanium retainers. I learned about the coating of Ti retainers and the PSI springs when I visited two NASCAR engines shops in February.

Good luck with your engine.

-
Did Mobil change the ZDDP in Mobil1 0w40 since your samples or are you adding some? Your levels are MUCH higer than mine (see my report above) !!

DH
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Did Mobil change the ZDDP in Mobil1 0w40 since your samples or are you adding some? Your levels are MUCH higer than mine (see my report above) !!

DH

DH,

I add a bottle of ZDDP Plus to my oil at every change.

-
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

DH,

I add a bottle of ZDDP Plus to my oil at every change.

-
Okay then

Where are you getting that from? And are you running CATS ?

DH
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question... where's the best place to get ZDDP additive? Now that I've deleted my cats it wouldn't hurt to throw some in. I can keep buying the "cheaper" Amsoil XL 10w40 and add a little ZDDP vs. paying double for Dominator racing oil.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Okay then

Where are you getting that from? And are you running CATS ?

DH

DH,

I purchase directly from them - http://zddplus.com/

If you call them, tell them you are a member of America's Corvette Club. They give us a discount.

Yes, I am running catalysts.

JR

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd Oil Analysis - thoughts?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

DH,

I purchase directly from them - http://zddplus.com/

If you call them, tell them you are a member of America's Corvette Club. They give us a discount.

Yes, I am running catalysts.

JR
Thanks

DH
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got this reply from Trick Flow when I asked them their thoughts on the ti retainers:

Response Via Email (Greg) 06/15/2012 09:23 AM
Titanium tends to gall (adhesion wear) against steel over time. Endurance/road racing where valve float, missed shifts, over revving is common shortens the time before galling occurs between spring, retainer, lock. Once the galling starts, the wear between the pieces escalate rapidly.

Seeing my levels are staying constant, I guess the galling hasn't started yet, but it is getting there.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Got this reply from Trick Flow when I asked them their thoughts on the ti retainers:

Response Via Email (Greg) 06/15/2012 09:23 AM
Titanium tends to gall (adhesion wear) against steel over time. Endurance/road racing where valve float, missed shifts, over revving is common shortens the time before galling occurs between spring, retainer, lock. Once the galling starts, the wear between the pieces escalate rapidly.

Seeing my levels are staying constant, I guess the galling hasn't started yet, but it is getting there.
the things he listed really should not happen

Quick Reply: 2nd Oil Analysis - thoughts?