Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...and....here....we.....GO!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default ...and....here....we.....GO!

No time to complete graphics package, but the car is loaded up and heading to its first race event today! The ONLY goal is to see the checkered flag at the end of every session, drive UNDER it, and put the car in the trailer in the same condition that it is in now!

XFINGS, XTOES, KNOCK ON WOOD! See you all on the other side!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

You sure did a great job. Hopefully you can shoot some video. I want to see it in action.

Good luck.

Steve A.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
You sure did a great job. Hopefully you can shoot some video. I want to see it in action.

Good luck.

Steve A.
I wanna see some in car vid of this beast.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Just an awesome looking car

DH
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Absolutely beautiful car. Good luck!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

DAMN, THAT'S NICE!

Good luck out there.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! I've truly enjoyed following the build process. Time to unleash the new beast!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Damn! That's awesome!!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Well.....made it!

Here is a short clip of the first time through the Corkscrew in the car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16879278@N04/7177058197/

Things went well for the most part! On the first day, I was wondering "WHY IN THE HELL did I want to do this again!" all day. The car was driving me....I was watching the mirrors all the time and really out of it. I was coming along really slowly. Then, the first race started and I was cautious on the start, hooked up behind two similar cars and was able to run nose to tail with them for about 10 laps. This helped my confidence quite a bit. I was faster than them, but did not have the guts to stick it in there hard in a brake zone contested....not ready yet I guess. But we ran hard and I had fun for the first time in the car. I am still 5 seconds or so off pace to where I should be, and a bit more on where the CAR should be, but we can work on that now.

The car ran flawless in all but the last race. We have had fueling issues since day one. Can't seem to get fuel in the car very easily. We have had everything all apart several times and it looks fine. We thought we were full for the last race, but after 5 laps, fuel pressure problems and turns out we ran the drivers side tank dry. Don't know why it did not transfer from the passenger side. Sigh....

I will say Louis and Anthony from LGM, as well as my own fabricator, told me to run twin pumps into a surge tank, and I did not because it would be "easier" to run it this way--stock system right??? The car will be heading to the fab shop tomorrow to run the fuel system the LGM/right way!

All in all a GREAT weekend!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good looking and sounding car.

What wheels are those?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by RC45
Good looking and sounding car.

What wheels are those?
The wheels are AWESOME! They are Jongbloed 305 Aero wheels....designed to pull air out from the brake area. They are AMAZING looking too! Ryan is a great guy to work with as well!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel problem is quite common with C5s apparently, I had it in my car. Could be the same problem? Maybe one of the pumps isn't working?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Fuel problem is quite common with C5s apparently, I had it in my car. Could be the same problem? Maybe one of the pumps isn't working?
Could be...there is only one pump...in the driver's side....the other "pump" is in the passenger side and is called a "Jet siphon pump"...whatever that means. We pulled both tanks today....BONE DRY....funny because we overflowed the tank during filling 20 minutes before the race! The car has always been hard to fill, but apparently it is overflowing while nearly no fuel is in either tank....WTF???

We are building a surge tank system as described. The stock "system" will be no more soon.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This also happened to me, seems the two tanks weren't "communicating" and I could only fill one of them. I don't know exactly what the problem was on that front, the whole fuel system was overhauled basically.

Those issues are frustrating and in my case cost me an engine since it was running lean once I was "out of fuel".
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

hot Damn

Mighty fine Looking ride.

Good Luck
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Stock system works as follows:

1. You fill the tank driver's side first. Once it fills the fuel "spills" over through the transfer hose into the passenger side tank.

2. The two tanks are connected by the filler hose with a Y upstream. During fueling, if one tank fills up the fuel will divert to the other tank until it is full.

3. The left tank contains a sending unit and the main fuel pump. The right tank contains a sending unit and a Ejector-Siphon-Jet pump. Both sending units send signals to the gauge. Both full = full, driver's full & passenger empty = 1/2, etc.

4. The left tanks electric pump delivers fuel to the main line that goes to the injectors. In that line is a Y connecting the main line to a line going to the right tank. This causes a small amount of pressurized fuel to the right tanks siphon-jet-pump. This pressurized fuel creates a venturi effect in the siphon-jet-pump that draws fuel from the right tank into the left tank through a second line between the tanks. This is the same effect as you siphoning fuel with a hose out of a car for your lawn mower.

5. The system empties the passenger side tank first because it is constantly pulling fuel to the driver's side tank as it is sending fuel from the driver's tank to the engine.

Late model 2003 C5s got the "new" fuel system that was in the C6. I'm not 100% sure of all the differences other than the cross-over tube was redesigned. It used to be a simple rubber hose connected with clamps. The new design was a rigid tube with a metallic outer layer and turn-lock hard plastic connectors. There was a big problem with the driver's side tank cracking at the top where the tube connected and a TSB issues. There's a massive thread in C5 General where people have been trying to get NHTSA to force GM into a safety recall for it. Basically the new hard line/connectors don't allow any play in the system and it can crack the tank... at least that's the theory. My old 2003 convertible had the "new" system but I never had any issues with it in 55k miles.

Post up pics of your new setup

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks Randy, one more thing to slow down my build. My tanks were done and now I have to go back and fix them the right way too.

Get notified of new replies

To ...and....here....we.....GO!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Thanks Randy, one more thing to slow down my build. My tanks were done and now I have to go back and fix them the right way too.
I don't know that you have to if you don't have the the problems I did.

The system worked flawlessly for 8 full sessions!

I guess the main problem was I could NOT get fuel to enter the system for some reason. I mean, we knew it was hard, but filled the tank to overflow on Saturday night and again on Sunday morning and there was only 5 laps of fuel in the system! That could not even be a half of one tank...so HOW IN THE HECK could it overflow when the the tank under the filler neck only had a few gallons in it????

Poor vent....probably....we will revise that...but still it was weird.

If your tanks fill normally, you probably have a nice working system.

I may have a new Aeromotive Stealth kit available for sale soon though!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jet pump only works when there is fuel flowing though it

These engines run at WOT a LOT, and consequently, the amount of fuel left on the return side, is not enough to pull fuel over fast enough, and the race to drain both tanks starts. We always drain the driver tank first, so thats why we run a triple or quadruple pump system and stock tanks.

one lift pump in each tank feeding a 1-1.5 gallon surge tank. One main pump feeding the engine, one reserve pump feeding the engine. Engine return fills surge tank. Surge tank over flows into crossover.

Glad things went well other than that!

Louis
Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

'99+ C5s have a returnless fuel system

Quick Reply: ...and....here....we.....GO!