Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting in a c4 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
alterchristopher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting in a c4 corvette

Ok new thread is thier a way to get more steering angle out of a 93 corvette I can shim the inner tie rod and get some I can send the arms out to have them machined but I'm wondering if thier is anything eles I can do are thier bump stops I can't see or when I go from lock to lock am I maxing out the rack in stock form thanks
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not sure why you'd need more ability to turn the wheels on a C4 to drift. Shoot I've mastered power slides/drifting while (trying) to auto-x. That makes you really slow in auto-x by the way.

At extreme slip angles I guess you could use a bit more. However, your going to be limited by the inner fender wells for clearance. Probably not the most popular platform for drifting. It has the power but its a heavy car. I think the tend to prefer light cars with lots of power and torque. Like a 240SX with a Turbo LS1 in it. Best of luck with your quest.
You might give Turn One, Inc. a call some of the best steering products available. http://www.turnone-steering.com/
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM
alterchristopher
Instructor

Thank you for your response powers sliding at auto x is a little different than what I'm doing sadly a 240 now cost about the same as a c4 vette a running 240 here is 2500 to 3000 it's a 2000 for one with a blown motor anyway some pics

And this shows full lock

Keep in mind I'm tring to get more angle than if I was going for a grip run
And the bad news

Car spun out abs locked out the brakes so I had no way to stop and hit a light pole had top off the car as well and had to jack up the passenger side to get it on will be going to a body shop soon to see if I damage the frame or not
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the autoX , racing section . You might want to check the sinkronized swimming , or waste of a good vette section ...
just sayin
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31
This is the autoX , racing section . You might want to check the sinkronized swimming , or waste of a good vette section ...
just sayin
<sigh>

Yeah, and the waxer section does blah, blah, and the drag strip section does blah, blah, etc. The OP HAS no section on drifting to go to, where else can he go?

That said, there aren't many folks on here discussing drifting their Vettes regardless of generation. I think you're going to be pretty much on your own solving the problems that drifting will pose. BUT, once you get them solved and the car working well you'll have mine, and probably most here's, respect and kudos.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
alterchristopher
Instructor

Thank you vette drmr for having an open mind for the other it's my car I will drive whatever motor sport I want. I love this car it hurt me more than anyone that i wrecked it. I just wanted to cry I will fix it and drift it agian along with the auto-x and drag fun this is my toy and I love it
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said Mike! Heaven forbid you do something different with your Vette that the rest don't do...

To the OP. Good luck with that man. I thought about taking my 02 Z06 drifting just for fun. Not expecting to be competitive just try something different. Hopefully the drifting crowd isn't as uptight and welcomes the idea. I've seen the fixed axle cars doing really well. If someone can drift a Mustang or Viper then maybe you can make a Vette drift too.

I think 93Rubie makes a good point. A Nissan with LS1 conversion compared to a 93 C4. That 93 doesn't have the power to weight ratio unless you modded it up. The LT1 is nice, I had one, but 300hp/flywheel ain't much in a 3400lb car. Not if your goal is to fling it around. You need active handling off and may need to pull the ABS fuse to stop the issue you had. I've the ABS fail on my C5 Z06 and run it on track with no ABS and no AH/TC. You can lock the front tires pretty easy and the car will rotate easily. You need lots of rotation and if you can't get it from steering wheel input then you need it from throttle.

Turnone does rebuilds and maybe can customize a steering rack for you. I'd agree though that unless you got short skinny tires in the front. Not slamming into the inner fender and possibly the frame rails. It might be hard to get the wheels to turn in any further. Might be cheaper and easier to bolt on a power adder so you can overcome grip instantly at will.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with it. As Mike said please post back and let us know how this works out. I'm still thinking of taking some old Hoosier scrubs or leftover Supercars and throwing them on and trying drifting. it looks like an interesting challenge.

Graham
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
alterchristopher
Instructor

The drift crowed love it the people watching love to see " the old muscle car out thier tearing it up" the car goes 13.0 at 108 with me leaving the line at 1000 rpm's do to traction issues and goes 12.3 at 116 on the spray (not used in drifting) i have a hot cam siting on my shelf just waiting to go in while I'm fixing the back I will throw it in with some ported stock heads and 1.6 rr then it's back the the tuner will make 12's easy then I really feel the biggest hirtle to over come is getting more stearing lock so I can catch the car when I start to go in and have more control.
I will finsh by saying I respect all forms of motor sport and the dedication it takes to do them that's why it upsets me when others don't I will keep you informed on what I do would anther car be easier sure but now I'm determined to make this work thank you guys for the advise so far
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Good luck fixing up the car. We need some video of the action!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry that was a bit harsh . Im just not getting the whole drifting thing .
After seeing the crashed quarter panel the last thing you need is some clown on the net giving you a hard time .
Hope the rest goes better for you ...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size tires are you running front and rear? You might gain more clearance with a smaller diameter, higher profile tire.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Didn't understand drifting either until I got a ride from a professional driver drifting around Thunderhill. While I'm sticking to non-drift, I have a new found respect for the sport.

Blu808 runs a C6 in formula drift, and runs a shop in the Silicon Valley area in California. If you are local and interested in getting the custom work required to increase your steering angle, I'd highly recommend them.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 07-23-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Not a supporting vendor - URL is a no-no
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Drift guys develope great car control skills. Not my thing, but I can respect the knowledge.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
alterchristopher
Instructor

Thanks guys I followed the 808 vette from beginning to end in his video's he put out I love that car the last thing I will say is if anyone eles tries this pleas Becarful every time I walk by my car I just want to cry
As far as tires I'm runing stocks in the front and a set of f-body rims in the back breaking traction is no problem vid of first run of the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJWY...e_gdata_player
It was a rough night for a few of us had a new gtr take down 5 fence post and a Shelby stang crash as well
Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Grant Gilleland
1st Gear

I drift my 1986 vette, steering angle is key, cut 1" out of steering knuckles and weld them up, then get some 8" wide zero offset wheels and you are ready to go!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Vote for Obama did you?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

So drifting is not my thing, however would adjustable upper A-arms help get you there?

They are available for our cars. I had to go to them to get negative camber on my 92.

Get notified of new replies

To Drifting in a c4 corvette

Old 08-09-2016, 08:15 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

The base steering racks move slower but have more travel

May help

Running a 600hp supercharged 383 in mine

See my sig

The car was going in the direction I'm looking!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

For drifting you want the car to be set up to understeer like a pig, and then get the back end out with the throttle. The technical term for it is "stability margin", but on the track it's called massive push..

Doing suspension improvements that increase front grip don't help and actually hurt you.

One thing you could do is take off the rear bar or put on a huge aftermarket front bar.

As noted above the C4 is heavy and underpowered for a drift car and when you get that much weight swinging around it can get hard to catch. Smoking the rear tires with a lot of weight on them is also expensive.

The rack isn't really the limiting thing, in that if you mod that then the tires will start hitting the frame and the inner fenders at full lock anyway..

If you really want to do drifting, get a light car with 60% of it's weight on the front axle stick in big power and go to town, you'll be a hero. Trying to do this with a balanced car like a Vette is like trying to push water up hill with your hands..

Last edited by Solofast; 08-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I find it hard to believe that an understeering pig is good for drifting. Chassis setup focuses on sideways grip, the setup is so different from road racing it may as well be a monster truck. Properly set up cars are high performance cars. They don't go with skinny tires that break loose easier and, to my knowledge, they don't induce intentional understeer. 300hp with LT1 torque should be more than enough to keep that thing sideways through 3rd gear which, at an amateur event, should be all you need. My turd will roast them through 3rd and I have no air and a restrictor plate. I think OP will be just fine. Wheels with a great deal of offset also introduce a great deal of scrub. They'll swing front to back as they turn, so even if you manage to clear the rails you'll now tear up the inner fenders and you'll have made a car that won't turn.

Quick Reply: Drifting in a c4 corvette