Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: R3 ( Simpson / Safety Solutions ) HANS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default WTB: R3 ( Simpson / Safety Solutions ) HANS

size: Medium

Looking for HANS that works with OEM 3 point belts.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the same thing but would you happen to know if wearing it causes your helmet to hit the headliner. I'm 6'2"
Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Terry,
A Hans device is intended for use with a 5 or 6 point harness system, a racing seat with the appropriate holes for the shoulder straps and a harness bar or cage member that is located to place the shoulder belts in the correct position WRT your shoulders. In that case, the Hans device is what protects your neck in a crash. It essentially replaces the air bags.

WRT headroom, the Hans just sits on your shoulders - no change in headroom. Racing seats and brackets can easily resolve that problem for a 6'-2" person. I'm 6'-3" and have the Sparco Evo2 Plus w/ custom brackets and I have plenty of headroom now.

The R3 is probably what you're looking for. It does not rely on a harness system rather has a frame down your back and a chest strap. They are also about twice as much $$$.

Jim

Last edited by jlutherva; 06-11-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: R3 addition
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Code Black - buddy has R3. He is also 6'2" w/ stock seats in a C5. He does not report any headroom issues.

Jim - I use HANS and head and neck safety device interchangeably. The R3 is the latter as you know and I'm too lazy to use latter when I should.
Yep, only the $1,000 version is available now that Simpson took over and stopped making the composite version.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Code Black - buddy has R3. He is also 6'2" w/ stock seats in a C5. He does not report any headroom issues.

Jim - I use HANS and head and neck safety device interchangeably. The R3 is the latter as you know and I'm too lazy to use latter when I should.
Yep, only the $1,000 version is available now that Simpson took over and stopped making the composite version.
Terry,
Ya coming down to the NCM VIR bash?
Jim
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Terry,
Ya coming down to the NCM VIR bash?
Jim
This year's road trip for me is to Watkins Glen on 7/9 and 10. Read somewhere that Paul Newman called VIR "heaven on earth". Can't pass that up, so put me down for next year.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
OGR Bill
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva

The R3 is probably what you're looking for. It does not rely on a harness system rather has a frame down your back and a chest strap. They are also about twice as much $$$.

Jim
Unless I'm mistaken all the head and neck systems require 5/6 point belts. If R3/Simpson is saying they don't, then ask them for the test results where the R3 was tested using a 3 point belt. I understand that it's nice to have more protective gear when jumping from student car to student car, but if no testing has been done then maybe it's time for Simpson to step up and get some done. Not trying to fire everyone up, just trying make sure the equipment is used correctly.

Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Bill - you make a fair point. The Simpson site and Safety Solutions before them both indicated "The R3 protects without being dependent on the seat belts, i.e., device can be used with or without seatbelts making it perfect for Go Kart and Motocross." If it can be used without seat belts altogether, I am assuming it can be used with the stock 3pt belt. Both sites add that it is SFI 38.1 certified however this is an industry standard test using a 6pt system. There is no industry test using a 3pt system. My guess is Safety Solutions could not sell many were it not tested and since there were no industry standard tests using a stock belt they designed the R3 in a way where the shoulder belts (5 or 6pts) are not required to restrain the head in a crash. Instead the stem down the back attached to the belt below your pecs performs that function. I guess Simpson could do a test with a stock belt but doing so would not provide a certification. The certification does suggest it was tested based on how it is marketed and used so I do see your point.

Terry O'
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM
OGR Bill
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Bill - you make a fair point. The Simpson site and Safety Solutions before them both indicated "The R3 protects without being dependent on the seat belts, i.e., device can be used with or without seatbelts making it perfect for Go Kart and Motocross." If it can be used without seat belts altogether, I am assuming it can be used with the stock 3pt belt. Both sites add that it is SFI 38.1 certified however this is an industry standard test using a 6pt system. There is no industry test using a 3pt system. My guess is Safety Solutions could not sell many were it not tested and since there were no industry standard tests using a stock belt they designed the R3 in a way where the shoulder belts (5 or 6pts) are not required to restrain the head in a crash. Instead the stem down the back attached to the belt below your pecs performs that function. I guess Simpson could do a test with a stock belt but doing so would not provide a certification. The certification does suggest it was tested based on how it is marketed and used so I do see your point.

Terry O'
Terry O

I've been asking for those test results from Safety Solutions and Simpson for 3+ years. Maybe they do provide some protection when used with just a 3 point belt. Unless testing is done, we're all just guessing. And when it comes to the safety equipment, that's not the place to guess. Like I said, I'm not trying to start a fire storm, just trying to make sure someone doesn't misuse a good piece of equipment the wrong way.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: R3 ( Simpson / Safety Solutions ) HANS

Quick Reply: WTB: R3 ( Simpson / Safety Solutions ) HANS