Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedal modifications

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
matteo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal modifications

I had the oportunity to get a coaching session with Claude Bourbonnais (ex driving partner of Jacques Villeneuve, ex Canadian driving champion etc. etc. so the guy knows his stuff) and he sugested that I modify the pedals in my C6-Z06.
He noticed that I have the tendancy to slightly and momentarily increase the brake pedal pressure when blipping the throttle while downshifting. (heel and toe) His feeling was that the throttle pedal is somewhat low compared to the brake pedal and this may be the cause. I have always found the pedal spacing a bit much. My shoe size is about an 8.5 - 9 which is not exactly luxury liner.
Has anyone else noticed this and can someone suggest an appropriate mod or product to help with the issue? I'm an HPDE instructor and ex racer so I "don't think" it's a technique problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got bigger feet than you and had the same problem.. I got some pedals (mounted of the top of the existing) and problem solved. They clutch and brake are an aluminum non slip grid and the gas pedal is flat and smooth. All are larger than the stock. Also if your shoes are wet your shoe wont slip off the pedal and an inopportune time :o)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

That is a good question. How do you know unless somebody else notices like he did for you? I always thought the gas pedal was the correct height for the brake pedal since the brake pedal seems to drop down to the same level as the gas on the first stroke of the brake. My C4, two C5s all did the same as well. Should the pedals be the exact same height when your foot is pushing on the brake or should the gas pedal be a shade higher?

Bill
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I wear a size 11. I swapped out my stock pedal for an Elite Engineering heel/toe pedal. That solved any heel/toe issues I was having.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the CG block pedals from CCA, and I shimmed the gas pedal up 1/4" when I installed them. They bolt right on top of your stock pedals, so on the gas you just drill 4 holes in the plastic pedal, and run 4 screws through it with nuts/washers on the back side. I got a piece of 1/4" square aluminum rod from sears, and cut 2 spacers, drilled holes through them, and sandwiched them between the stock pedal and Elite pedal. My first event was last week, and I was able to heel toe much better than I thought I would. Gas seems to be perfect height now. I have big feet, size 12 so I kinda just used the side of my foot.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rom-cca-2.html
Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

This is an easy fix. Plywood zip tied on the gas pedal. Done.

Steve A.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Second the recommendation on the Elite Engineering pedal extensions. Used the one for the gas pedal and it widened it by about 3/4 inch and raised it by about 1/4". Much easier to heal toe now.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Second the recommendation on the Elite Engineering pedal extensions. Used the one for the gas pedal and it widened it by about 3/4 inch and raised it by about 1/4". Much easier to heal toe now.
JD
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I wear a size 11. I swapped out my stock pedal for an Elite Engineering heel/toe pedal. That solved any heel/toe issues I was having.
Originally Posted by JDIllon
JD
Just got mine in the mail but haven't installed it yet. I should have time Wednesday.

I got the regular width, but just eyeballing it, maybe I should've gone for the "Heel & Toe" model.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

(as well) ... I have a small (size 8) foot, could not easily reach the pedal with the heel with stock pedals... no issues with height when hard braking.. right where it should be with the Elite heel/toe pedal (matching aluminum dead pedal is nice too)...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I wear a 15. No room for heal toe for me!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Something to consider is a clutch pedal stop. I have one on my 95 M3 (it's adjustable) and it's a real eye opener when you come to realize how much over travel is built into the clutch pedal.

It is sweet to let off the clutch just a few mm & bam it's engaged, supposed to be better fot the clutch master & slave not having to over extend them every time.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I had the opportunity to get a coaching session with Claude Bourbonnais".....now I bet that was a treat. Guy's amazing. The only thing that stopped him from F1 was money, commonly known in Canadian racing circles. If he says it, its right.

I always modify my race car pedals until I get the right climb and space. I use sheet aluminum cut to fit, bend for curve, drill and bolt on the gas pedal. Funny enough, my latest car, a C4, is perfect for me stock. Not sure why.
Anyway, its sure important enough to look at. The pedal everyone's talking about sounds great also.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
matteo
Instructor

Claude was living near me during the winter so I got him to come out to one of our HPDE BMW Club events at "Le Circuit", a track that he knows extremely well. The guy worked with instructors and advanced drivers and it was a real learning experience.
He also has done some coaching with "Danica Patrick." Bet he had more fun with her than with me and my bozo friends.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's currently coaching a friend of mine, young Nathan Blok, in F1600 (he was on Dragons Den). You may get someone as good as a coach, but nobody better. Good luck with the pedals.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

So when you have the brake pedal depressed is it better to have it at the same height as the gas pedal (like my car) or just a little lower? I do not use my heel. I roll my foot sideways so the right side of the ball of the foot hits the gas pedal. I can see unknowingly pushing just a little harder on the brake as the foot is rolled over so would it be better to have the gas pedal a little higher so the foot wouldn't have to roll over so far?

Bill
Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
matteo
Instructor

I never personally found that the pedals in the Z06 where ideal, but if you can H & Toe and still properly modulate the brake pedal without increasing the pressure while blipping, you should be fine. In my case that's not happening so he suggests raising the height of the throttle a tad. It's not something that I felt myself doing, which is why it's so great to ride with someone with the experience and sensitivity to detect these little flaws. "We don't know what we don't know"
I also believe that I saw something about a ghizmo that reduces the fly-by-wire pedal lag. Anyone know anything about that?

Get notified of new replies

To Pedal modifications

Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no problem with heel & toe (thanks to Spring Mountain) except for the occasional 3-2 shift at Oak Tree on VIR behind slow traffic because it is light brake pressure. I just ordered Elite Engineering's "heel toe" pedal which I think will require less effort?

Ian
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Just got mine in the mail but haven't installed it yet. I should have time Wednesday.

I got the regular width, but just eyeballing it, maybe I should've gone for the "Heel & Toe" model.
I have the heel/toe model and find it a bit too wide. If you are not happy with reg. model would you want to swap?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by punz
I have the heel/toe model and find it a bit too wide. If you are not happy with reg. model would you want to swap?
Sure! I've got the week off, so it's going in tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pedal modifications