Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Seems like it would be easier to just convert to an electric assist instead of having an electric pump running a hydraulic system...
Will that delete the power steering pulley?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

This may be slightly off-topic, but my Volt has electric steering. Absolutely phenomenal. Zero road feel, but zero effort right along with that. Like a knife through warm margarin. Easy as pie. You will know when you lose grip by using your senses, much like when you are drifting. You feel it in your center of gravity/seat/core and not so much the steering wheel. More like the direction your headed vs steering input and not the effort that goes into the steering. I love electric steering. Not for those who want to "feel the road" when turning the wheel.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I would think the biggest challenge is keeping the electric motor cool on the road course or autocross track.....especially with big sticky rubber and good down force.

On a tight road course I would calculate you'd be averaging a continuous 30-40 amp draw for your session. That is a lot of heat on its own, plus now you have super heated air from the radiator potentially heat soaking the power steering electric motor even more.

Last weekend I sold one of my vehicles to a CHP officer and we were talking cars and I asked him how well the Ecoboost Explorers were holding up. First thing he mentions is they are having problems overheating the electric power steering.....that was news to me.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty2000SS
Will that delete the power steering pulley?
Yep. Also eliminates the need for power steering lines, reservoir, or a cooler.

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
This may be slightly off-topic, but my Volt has electric steering. Absolutely phenomenal. Zero road feel, but zero effort right along with that. Like a knife through warm margarin. Easy as pie. You will know when you lose grip by using your senses, much like when you are drifting. You feel it in your center of gravity/seat/core and not so much the steering wheel. More like the direction your headed vs steering input and not the effort that goes into the steering. I love electric steering. Not for those who want to "feel the road" when turning the wheel.
There's a difference between electric steering and electronically assisted steering. I'd bet your volt is the latter.

My Ram is electric assist and I love it as well. Feels exactly like a hydraulic rack, except not as twitchy at higher speeds.

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I would think the biggest challenge is keeping the electric motor cool on the road course or autocross track.....especially with big sticky rubber and good down force.

On a tight road course I would calculate you'd be averaging a continuous 30-40 amp draw for your session. That is a lot of heat on its own, plus now you have super heated air from the radiator potentially heat soaking the power steering electric motor even more.

Last weekend I sold one of my vehicles to a CHP officer and we were talking cars and I asked him how well the Ecoboost Explorers were holding up. First thing he mentions is they are having problems overheating the electric power steering.....that was news to me.
Electronic steering racks are nothing new in motorsports. They're designed to take the heat.

Obviously a OEM rack may not be up to it, but that stands for the OEM hydraulic power steering equipment as well.

Quick Reply: electric power steering pump