Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexan side windows for C-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Daves obsession
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Lexan side windows for C-4

Help, I am running my 1990 ZR-1 Landspeed car this Aug at Bonneville Salt Flats. Any way I was informed that all frame less windows will now be lexan and I am freaking out.

Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

You could call Melrose T-Tops and see if they make them...

They do the front & rear C4 Lexan windows...

I don't see them in the catalog...but they could know where you can get them.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the stock car body exhibitors at the PRI show has lexan side windows for C4. I'll try to find the catalog in my pile of books.
I want to say five star but am not sure.

Don't see it in the Five Star Race Car Bodies catalog but maybe Pro Glass was who I was thinking about:
http://www.proglasswindows.com/FormedWindows.html
You will have to call them, their website did not list applications.

Locke

Last edited by Locke; 06-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exotic Muscle used to carry them as well -- not sure if they still do.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you cannot find any pre-made ones it's not a difficult project to do yourself. If you have the original glass trace it on some paper to make a template and use a jigsaw with a coarse blade and slow speed to cut out. Then finish the edge with a sander. If you need a frame for the lexan you can do it as they commonly do on drag cars. Use some small, thin wall tubing (stainless works well) or some small aluminum round bar. Bend it around the perimeter of the lexan and weld tabs every few inches to create a plane to fasten the lexan. Rivets work well and if you want to easily remove the lexan from the frame threaded inserts in the tabs work well. Make the frame with long legs at the bottom to attach to the door and weld on some tabs/brackets to do so.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
If you cannot find any pre-made ones it's not a difficult project to do yourself. If you have the original glass trace it on some paper to make a template and use a jigsaw with a coarse blade and slow speed to cut out. Then finish the edge with a sander. If you need a frame for the lexan you can do it as they commonly do on drag cars. Use some small, thin wall tubing (stainless works well) or some small aluminum round bar. Bend it around the perimeter of the lexan and weld tabs every few inches to create a plane to fasten the lexan. Rivets work well and if you want to easily remove the lexan from the frame threaded inserts in the tabs work well. Make the frame with long legs at the bottom to attach to the door and weld on some tabs/brackets to do so.

I also remember seeing a C4 @ Big Bend ORR where they used some aluminum square "C"-channel and formed it around the perimeter of the window, and bonded the Lexan into it with clear silicon. They had a diagonal clip between the A-pillar and the top for the window to stay in place at speed (just had to crack the windows to exit the car). Also had some "L" tabs along the window pillar to lock the front in place.

PLENTY of ways to skin that cat...you just need to figure out a path and take it.

Get notified of new replies

To Lexan side windows for C-4

Quick Reply: Lexan side windows for C-4