Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 race car trans cooler mounting location ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C5 race car trans cooler mounting location ideas?

I can think of 3 general areas/methods. Can anyone post picture of their setup and/or pros and cons of each? What would you do differently if you could do it again?

1. Front radiator cavity next to oil cooler
*Good air flow, but would block the radiator more. Could increase coolant temps with oil cooler already in the area.

2. Rear Z06 brake duct
*Traditional location for the kits sold. But how much flow does it really get through there? Especially with the pump mounted so close to the radiator/heat exchanger?

3. Rear tub pulling air from interior of car and exiting out the rear fascia in the license plate area.
*Not sure if this is legal for the class I race in. Possibly really noisy to the point of distraction?

4. Other?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car, the trans cooler was mounted in the rear Z06 brake duct area. I've never had any issues with my transmission getting hot no matter what track or temperature. I've never messed with it and seems to work good there at least for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I have often wondered too how much air flow goes through the rear brake cooling ducts on a ZO6. I used the Doug Rippie Kit, In Memphis in July ambient 98 degrees, 45 minute race, using 2nd gear in 2 turns I have never seen a trans temp warning. I think the Differential fluid actually gets hotter than the trans fluid (pre-coolers). The pumps are pretty noisey for sure.

Here is a little video of the noise, trust me its a lot louder in person!

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...9482181523.mp4
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Got my first trans temp warning in my Z06 this weekend at CMP. Coolant was 201* and oil was 254*. Funny thing is, my daughter was driving it in the novice group for 2 days. Was 84* ambient temp so nothing radical. I have been in 100* ambient with never a warning message. Not sure if it was how she was driving it, or if it was the track. Never been an issue at VIR, RD ATL, Datona or Charlotte. Changing fluid before next event and following this thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I placed mine in front of the AC condenser.

I bypassed the radiator. Transmission fluid dropped ~35 degrees. I have noticed no efffect on the radiator coolant temps

Hope that Helps,

Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

when you look at those CFD files of the C5/C6 there is always a high pressure zone right where those rear brake ducts are. my hunch is, they scoop up a decent amount
Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I used to run the GMPP cooler on my C5s which mounted the cooler in front of the radiator. On the 97 the pump always seemed to be making funny noises and fluid flow was low. When I put it on the 03 I had the pump rebuilt and things went better for a while but the pump seemed to work too hard pumping the fluid to and from the front of the car and I started having flow issues after a couple years. I would recommend limiting the plumbing length as much as possible.

Bill
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my old C5 I had the trany cooler equipped with a fan mounted behind the diff. Worked pretty well. No pics b/c I crashed the car.

Regards, Robert
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Thanks for all the pics Dennis. Did you do anything to promote air flow through the cooler? I.e. where does the air go after it goes through the cooler?

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Nice mount. I think I'll change my oil cooler mount to something similar in the off-season I like how it puts the cooler right up against the condenser (in my case it'd be the radiator) vs. hanging out there off of the front radiator support bar.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the exact same setup as Beretta and it seems to work well as best I can tell (I've never got any warning messages). I have both pumps wired into one switch. Would do two relays and switches if I did it over. You can turn on the Tranny cooler at any point, the oil is so thin. But ideally I think you'd want to wait for the diff oil to warm up a little, I don't have that option. The disadvantages of mounting in the fenders are that its a PITA to install, very tight fit. Also a pain to maintain if you need to do any work on them or if you were to have a leak. But it would be quieter than having the pumps in the rear boot.

I've been told by guys who build diffs and tranny's for a living that its the diff oil that really gets hot because the gears turn at such high RPM when doing 130+. I know I've blown oil out the vent its gotten so hot.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Thanks for all the pics Dennis. Did you do anything to promote air flow through the cooler? I.e. where does the air go after it goes through the cooler?

Nice mount. I think I'll change my oil cooler mount to something similar in the off-season I like how it puts the cooler right up against the condenser (in my case it'd be the radiator) vs. hanging out there off of the front radiator support bar.
Thanks. The idea was stolen with pride from this forum.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I both in the back two cubby holes on the C5Z. They have fans on the underside and pull air in from the cabin through the coil. An aluminum mounting plate was fabricated to hold everything in place.

Jay
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I both in the back two cubby holes on the C5Z. They have fans on the underside and pull air in from the cabin through the coil. An aluminum mounting plate was fabricated to hold everything in place.

Jay
Any pics of this setup? Sounds like a neat idea.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Brain,
Mounting it in the RR corner of the car will be better than running hose all the way to the front of the car. You're C5 mafia you should know this!!
I mount them in the brake duct location and put some stainless mesh where the ducts come out on the inner fender liner. You'll get plenty of airflow and if you mount the pump with some rubber grommets there isn't much noise at all.

If you use position #3 you will get exhaust gas in the car so I had to put NACA ducts in and seal everything off. Alex's C6 is set up like this and it works well but the cooler is above the beltline vs going in the RR corner. It sure does look cooler and get peoples attention - I can't tell you how many times people asked me - what the coolers were for.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this over the winter and after looking at all of the posible locations, the rear brake ducts are a good place. I didn't want to cut up the rear tub because I didn't think TTA/PTA rules would alow it. These pumps are loud and you don't want that inside the car anyway. I considered where the weight is being added, so right in front of the rear wheels is a good spot for weight. Also how high they are mounted, If they are above the tranny/diff fluid level when you turn the pumps on you will be pumping fluid out the tranny/diff and into the pumps/coolers/lines leaving the fluid lower than it should in the tranny/diff.

I pieced my kit together using the cheaper push loc style hose and fittings. I probably saved a couple hundred bucks over the kits you can buy but I had to make a few trips to the local JEGS to get the proper fitting angles for everything to work right. It is little tight in the rear brake duct area. The hardest fitting to find was the rear diff to AN adapter fittings because they are metric, I got mine from Pegasus. Overall they work in that location, I no longer get the high trans temp warning.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Pics of your setup? Sounds appealing.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is in the rear brake duct. No high temp light sense installing it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 race car trans cooler mounting location ideas?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=travisnd;1581111426]Thanks for all the pics Dennis. Did you do anything to promote air flow through the cooler? I.e. where does the air go after it goes through the cooler?

Your welcome, the only thing I did was I left out the factory ducts that aim toward the rear brakes. Of course they want fit anyway now, it leaves a fairly good size opening for air to flow out of.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the built in trans cooler on a C6 Z51 car adequate with an aftermarket radiator (DeWitts), or is a separate one necessary? I was only planning on adding a diff cooler to my car.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Any pics of this setup? Sounds like a neat idea.
It's a crappy pic and not even my car (this is a sister car that's pretty much the same as mine and for sale if anyone is interested). But you can see in the corners the aluminum plate. The coil is attached underneath and the fan on the other side "sucks" air from inside the cabin through the fins. The lines are plumbed from the pumps through the center cavity and out the other side using bulkhead type AN fittings. Keeps the lines pretty short and goes straight back to the tranny and diff.

Jay

Quick Reply: C5 race car trans cooler mounting location ideas?