Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track wheels without TPMS - what shutsdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Track wheels without TPMS - what shutsdown

I picked up another set of track wheeks and tires without TMPS.

If I do not run TPMS in my track wheels do any of the nannies kick in?

I normally run in competitive mode for track days.........
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For a C6, you won't be able to get IN to Competitive Mode without the car detecting 4 TPMS sensors that are all reading "safe" pressures (25ish to 38ish lbs of air in each, don't know exact #s). The DIC won't even display Competitive Driving Mode until you have all 4 sensors that are trained to the car and the car has had 30minutes of time to get familiar with the sensors and their proper operation. I've ruined 2 track days so far due to a failure of a bad sensor or not having any of the sensors. Do a lot more reading on this topic before you head to the track with your new setup.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The AH will really screw you up on the track.
I don't have TPMS in my race wheels, and keep the stock wheels
next to the car in the proper position in the pits. You'll get "about" 20+ minutes away from the TPMS rims this way... I say about, since it's supposed to be a bith more, but have had it pop the TPMS warning right
around 20 Mins, and a couple of times it seemed closer to 18.
Can't quite finish a 20 min HPDE session before it triggers.... and it's always the left front first. Then takes about an hour to reset in the pits.
Looking to make up a TPMS canister for later this year.

There's a lot of info and discussions on here... search away.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I routinely drive to events on 710s without sensors and have always been able to turn off all AH/TC by holding down the selection button on the console all the way through the startup cycle to include hitting reset of the DIC to pass the service warning at which time it displays that all are off. This must be done with each startup cycle on my '06 to have AH/TC off for track use.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 PM
JTRANTHA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up some 710's. Do you like them
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

that sounds odd. I haven't had any issues relating to sensors or lack there of, other than a light coming on.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Thutch01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dbratten has it right - start car, when the TPMS error shows up, hit reset. Then hold down the AH/TC Button till everythings shuts off.

The AH is dangerous on a track and actually sent me off track a few times until I learned how to override it. For whatever reason the brakes don't work the same when you are under load. Coming out of a corner to a hard brake zone creates problems with AH on.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thutch01
dbratten has it right - start car, when the TPMS error shows up, hit reset. Then hold down the AH/TC Button till everythings shuts off.
I wish my 05' C6 worked that way, I've tried every combination of button pushing/holding/clearing errors so that I could drive with AH off while driving, can't seem to get it to work, I'll try again when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JTRANTHA
I just picked up some 710's. Do you like them
I've been running them for many years and while they aren't as fast as the A6s new I have usually found scrub sets for cheap to free in the sizes I run -- 305x30x18F and 335x35x17R. I've only bought one set new in 6 years. They work well and aren't as picky about needing lots of camber as the A6s can be. I use them for autox and HPDE as well as drive to most of the events on them.

Originally Posted by Thutch01
Actually, I find it necessary to press the console button and hold it before hitting Start. I continue to hold it until after the Service Warning light comes on and then I clear it with Reset. It then shows that AH/TC is all off.

Get notified of new replies

To Track wheels without TPMS - what shutsdown

Quick Reply: Track wheels without TPMS - what shutsdown